P35 or X38?

kam03

Weaksauce
I'm looking to purchase a new motherboard.

Is it worth waiting for the x38 chipset or shell i just go for the p35 chipset?

Are there any performance differences or more support for newer cpu's between the two chipset?

I will be using single graphics card solution.

Thanks

DDR3 is supported on P35's. But PCI-E 2.0 is suppose to come out with the X38. I think that is really the only new technology being introduced on the X38's.

PCI-E 2.0 can be supported on p35.Its just not atm.x38 will be priced hi of course.If you do not need 16x x 16x the p35 is good bang for $

PCI-E 2.0 can be supported on p35.Its just not atm.x38 will be priced hi of course.If you do not need 16x x 16x the p35 is good bang for $

Yep, that's what I've heard, that P35 is PCI-E 2.0 spec compliant... if it's implemented. The Crossfire fellers will snap them up for the 2x16 PCI-E slots. Those will indeed rock and roll. Also, there are lingering rumors of Intel having inked a licensing agreement to support SLI on the X38. IF that were true, Intel would come closer than Ming the Merciless to ruling the known universe.

What I meant was AFAIK X38 will be DDR3 only.

Defiant007 is right, there will indeed be X38 DDR2 boards. At Computex both Abit (IX38-QuadGT) and DFI had on display DDR2 X38 boards. Bit-Tech actually snapped photos while they were at Computex (Gasp! The cheeky bastards!), so head over there and check out their coverage if you want pics and snips. ;)

PCIe 2.0 has a couple of advantages. First, it provides twice the bandwidth of PCIe 1.0 between the PCIe slot and the north bridge chip. Second, PCIe 2.0 will provide 150W to the card through the motherboard itself so that you don't have to attach your car battery to the card to power it.

what would possibly push me to x38 is if I can obtain 572fsb with ease and be able to provide better memory performance compared to similarly set up p35 board.

that said, if the motherboard companies can live up to their claims of producing memory enhancement options that work consistently and well, and can provide good results, then i might be able to save some money.

i'm not looking for 2x16 so x38 would only be attractive for good memory performance. and i mean ddr2

PCI-E 2.0 cards will be backwards compatible with PCI Express 1.0 slots, so you're not really losing anything by going with a P35 board since PCI Express 1.0 won't be maxed out for some time to come. It's much akin to SATA1 vs SATA2. SATA2 has twice the theoretical data transfer capabilities, but in reality there is not much difference in speed between the two. The upside is that PCI Express 2.0 can deliver 150 watts to a graphics card versus the 75 watts of PCI Express 1.0, so hopefully we'll see video cards that run with few or perhaps even no extra power plugins.

If you have P965 right now, I'd wait for X38. If you need a new motherboard right now just get lower priced P35 and get X38 later on.

By the way, will X38 support DDR2?

The chipset "unofficially" supports DDR2 (Intel is marketing it as DDR3 only), but yes some motherboard companies are releasing X38 boards with DDR2 support.

Thanks for the reply guys, anyone know the release date for the X38 chipset?

I've heard and read all over the internet that it's supposed to be sometime in the late August-September time frame... or put another way; probably by NFL Week 3. :p

I wish I had a firmer date for X38 myself. Not sure if waiting it out is the answer or just picking up a cheap IP35 or even a 650i board.

could someone link me to an article or soemthing covering what the new chipset will include as well as (probably not available) benchmarks? I'm quite ignorant as to what the hell X38 even is, let alone what it has to offer.

could someone link me to an article or soemthing covering what the new chipset will include as well as (probably not available) benchmarks? I'm quite ignorant as to what the hell X38 even is, let alone what it has to offer.

It's the new high-end Intel chipset.

It will include:
*native DDR3 (though a number of manufacturers are shipping DDR2 variants)- this is also available on P35 boards
*PCI-E 2.0
*Multiple x16 and/or x8 PCI-E slots.
*45nm support- also available on P35 boards.

There are also many rumors though certainly nothing solid about SLI support.

according to "un-named chinese sources" the x38 chipset is definitely the shiznit of the near future, at least until the nforce 7xxi boards come out in late octobulary.

I'm going to be looking for x38's upon their release, hopefully they'll be at a reasonable price. If not I'm going P35.

I'm going to be looking for x38's upon their release, hopefully they'll be at a reasonable price. If not I'm going P35.

Well, you should go P35 right now then ;). I don't think you'll see X38 under $200 except for the ECS/Biostar boards. Whether or not you want to spend $200 on one of those boards is up to you.

Back