P35 to P45...Would you upgrade?

Throc

Limp Gawd
I currently have an itch that needs to be scatched but I can't decide whether to upgrade my P35 mobo to a P45 mobo or let my itch keep itching and wait out for a price drop on i7 gear. What would you do?

What's holding you back on your e8400 that a p45 board is gonna help with? You probably won't see too much overclock improvement over your p35, there definitely won't be much other improvement between a p35 and p45, so if your p35 board is working fine I don't see the point.

I would say save your pennies until you're ready for i7 gear. DDR3 RAM is already dropping in price very fast, so i7 won't be out of reach for very long.

I would, matter of fact I was going to do a P35 to a P45 upgrade, but decided to go i7 route instead.

The only thing P45 has is marginelly less power consumption due to small manufacturer process. And I think it got PCIe 2.0, which is marginal, but generally not a noticeable performance increase.

Couple that with the headaches of replacing, reinstalling windows, etc etc. I would not upgrade and hold out.

My wife definately likes the idea of holding out. She would rather me hold out for a few years lol. I'm guessing that's what I'm going to end up doing unless I run across a deal.

I went from a Gigabyte P35-DS3R (P35) to an Asus P5Q-Pro (P45). I was able to go from 3.3-3.4 tops on my Q6600 to reliably doing 3.6. Hard to say how much the chipset was a part of that, as I also went from 6-phase power to 8-phase power and also got Loadline calibration on the Asus board.

I'd keep the P35 board until you want to go i7. i7 is getting cheaper all the time. Boards are under $200 (for some of them), and memory is around $120 or so for 6GB. If you live by a Microcenter, you can get a 920 for $230. Personally, I'm going to wait out with my current setup until Windows 7. I figure WinXP will hold me over until then with what I have.

The only thing P45 has is marginelly less power consumption due to small manufacturer process. And I think it got PCIe 2.0, which is marginal, but generally not a noticeable performance increase.

Couple that with the headaches of replacing, reinstalling windows, etc etc. I would not upgrade and hold out.
I didn't have any problem going from P35 to P45 board..didn't even reinstall windows

Back