P55 Micro will not post with 65nm GTX 260 (216) installed - beeps

ShiShKaBoB

Gawd
So I have a strange issue with an EVGA P55 Micro board which I've had been running a GTX285 in without any problems. So I got this used Sparkle GTX260 and when I install it and try to boot I get like 3-4 beeps, a short pause, and then another 2 beeps. And nothing happens after that.

I updated the BIOS for the motherboard to the latest this evening and still have the same issue. I don't think it's the card itself because it works fine in a EVGA X58 3SLI board (as a main GPU, and as a PhysX only gpu). Anyone come across the same issue?

I was thinking maybe updating the video card bios, however Im somewhat leery of that because I never have and I'm not sure on the limitations involved (don't want to brick my card)

Other specs:

Corsair HX750 PSU
PC12800 2x2gb OCZ (8-8-8)

Any ideas, or recommendations for updating the video card bios?

Pull the card out and try booting with no card installed, does it post? Also, what are the beep sequences. It sounds like you're getting more than one error.

The system works flawless with a 285gtx or any other PCIe card for that matter.

I get like 3-4 beeps, a short pause, and then another 2 beeps. And nothing happens after that. (no post).

1 extended beep, followed by 2 short beeps
Video failure Reseat the video board - replace if board is determined to be faulty.

1 extended beep, followed by 3 short beeps
Video failure

This is all I could find on multiple beeps on EVGA motherboards. Hope it helps some.

Thanks for the info, it doesn't seem to apply however because there is no "extended" beep, all short beeps. But obviously its a compatibility issue. Im wondering what the best way to update the vga bios in this case, would it be possible to flash to a different vendors bios, if so what should I be looking for to ensure compatibility? Link? Thought?

Okay, so I made a mistake on the amount of beeps I had heard.. a big mistake. I hooked it all up again and found I get 2 short beeps, a pause, and then 8 short beeps. So according to the AMI BIOS PDF someone pointed out for me, the 8 beeps means "Display memory error (system video adapter)" and the troubleshooting options are "If the system video adapter is an add-in card, replace or reseat the video adapter. If the video adapter is an integrated part of the system board, the board may be faulty."

So it's weird because like I said it works in a x58 board without a problem. Im going to contact Sparkle to see if there is a VGA bios update I can get for this card, or maybe RMA if possible.

Try reseating everything before you conclude indefinitely that its broken. Occasionally i'll have a hiccup and receive beep codes after doing some work in my computer. I reseat each ram stick, as well as all of the PCI and PCIe devices. Some times that resolves the error.

If that doesnt work, plug the card into another system and see if you get video. If not, its broken :(

It's not broken. It works fine in an EVGA X58 system as a main GPU, and currently right now as a PhysX GPU. I think it has to do with this card requiring a certain config from PCIe slot. Not sure of the specifics, but it works fine in anything but that EVGA P55 micro mobo. Still waiting to hear back from sparkle.

Back