Noah

Limp Gawd
Asus P5NSLI
Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13 ghz)
1 GB Corsair CM2X1024-6400 RAM
GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH GeForce 7600GT 256MB
WD 160 GB SATA 3.0 HD
Antec P160 case/SmartPower 500 PS

When I press the power button, the fans purr and the hard drives spin, but my display says nothing. I've tried a bunch of things to no avail. Any suggestions?

I just replaced the CPU and got a new motherboard, to no avail. So I guess it's RAM or video card. Any way I can tell?

Noah said:
I just replaced the CPU and got a new motherboard, to no avail. So I guess it's RAM or video card. Any way I can tell?

My guess is the RAM because there are lots of issues with memory causing boards to not boot because of insufficient voltage at bootup. Try booting with 1 stick in all the slots. It might boot up enough to get into bios to adjust the voltage.

I'll try new RAM (now 2 mobos don't work with it), but any other ideas? Could I be doing something else wrong?

Noah said:
I'll try new RAM (now 2 mobos don't work with it), but any other ideas? Could I be doing something else wrong?

Maybe, but the most likely culprit is the memory. You could go back and redo/reseat everything and try running it outside of the case to see if that'll work, but if it doesn't, it's probably the memory. It could be something else, but memory voltage issues are pretty common and have the same symptoms.

Take the whole thing out of the case.
Put one stick of RAM in the first slot.
Reseat your video card.
Make sure the SLI selector is placed for one card only.
Power connected to Board, 24 pin,4 pin.
Nothing else should be connected, except the DVI out to the monitor,which also needs to be turned on.(hey,dont laugh; I made that mistake before.)

You should be able to post. Try each stick of RAM individually. If it doesnt work, your RAM may be picky. Get a cheap value RAM of DDR2 667Hz and see if that will post for you.

I have the ASUS P5N-SLI and it is not a real stellar board. It is a bit picky on RAM and will not OC worth a damn. I use Corsair valueRam 2GB of 667. The computer is for everything else but gaming and does all that just fine. If you want a board that will OC and comes from ASUS, the P5N32-E SLI is my recommendation.

Back