Pair of HD3870x2's - Can't run CCC

Ok, I had a pair of 1950xtx's and everything was running fine. Just got my 3870x2's from newegg today and put them in my system. Decided to remove the driver and run driver cleaner. Did a reboot and installed the drivers on the disc. Restart and i get "External Event Utility has stopped working". And I couldn't run the CCC.

So I uninstalled again and ran driver cleaner, did a reboot, and installed the 8.1 Drivers off the ATI site. Same thing. Kind of at a loss here. I tried looking online and some people say its a .NET problem, some say its a firewall issue.

I'm running Vista 32-bit, don't have windows firewall enabled, and I tried installing a .NET fix but it says its already part of the OS.

Any help would be appreciated. I wanna get these cards running perfect before I test em out.

[UPDATE]

Fixed it.

Uninstalled everything and then installed the drivers off the disc. got the error. So i went into the administrator properties and took a look at the services. I started the external event utility by itself and it started up, and I was able to run the CCC. ended up setting the options for it so that after the first time it didn't start, it would try to restart the service. then the 2nd time, etc. Now it's ok.

Now I have a different issue though. Ran my 3dMark06 and only scores 10,456. I have a Q6600 2.4ghz, ddr3 memory, and the 2 hd 3870x2's in there. I know the crossfire doesn't work, but I've seen people with crossfired 3870's getting about 17k marks...

Also, I don't have an overdrive or crossfire tab at all.

I think something is definitely up in driver land...

Go to add and remove program and try to repair the CCC install. This problem occurs to me sometimes but a repair would let it work again.

Try loading it with just one card in. If it works then add the second card. If it still will not work with the one card pull that one out and try the other card. You could have a bad card.

I had the same problem after installing some beta drivers to see if i could get crossfire to run. I took the cd with the drivers on it and uninstalled what was on the pc then reinstalled cd drivers.Rebooted got the same message, rebooted again and now is all good! so god know what i did but i defianlty remember i had to use the cd to remove what was left in the pc

If I'm not mistaken, I think the next driver revision (coming VERY SOON) should have the ability to run XfireX.

[UPDATE]

Now I have a different issue though. Ran my 3dMark06 and only scores 10,456. I have a Q6600 2.4ghz, ddr3 memory, and the 2 hd 3870x2's in there. I know the crossfire doesn't work, but I've seen people with crossfired 3870's getting about 17k marks...

Also, I don't have an overdrive or crossfire tab at all.

I think something is definitely up in driver land...

My 2900GT didnt have the Overdrive tab. I found out i could plug in a 6-pin pci-e connector in a 8-pin pci-e connector and it would work. But without the 8-pin pci-e connector, Overdrive wasnt shown. I got one of these

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=21721

Hooked it up, and now I have Overdrive on my 2900GT. I went from 600 GPU to 686 GPU, from 800 memory to 840 memory easy. I heard the fan on this card go up from the lowest setting for the first time when I did this yesterday. And I got about 3000 point increase in the 3dmark scores, and my games I got a corresponding increase in frame rate.

That might not be your problem, but it is similar to the one I had.

I made sure both power plugs were in. I'm not sure why, but the drivers on the cd just don't show the overdrive or crossfire panels. Installed the 8.1 driver off the ATI site and it's fine.

I ended up taking one card out, until I can figure out this driver issue.

Honestly, I would just wait until the CrossfireX drivers are relased before you put the second card in. The current 8.1 drivers are not going to support it, so it's basically just making extra heat if you install it.

Back