Palm bought by HP

$1.2 billion?! Seriously though. What is HP getting out of this deal other than the Palm brand?

Bunch of patents related to handheld devices too I would guess. I would think since palm was one of the first handheld innovators, they should have a bunch.

From what I saw from a few Palm folks this should be good for them. HP will keep WebOS around. They can then run from WinMo.

with modification, the webOS would make a great tablet OS. w/ HP backing it, it might get some more developer interest also.

i really hope they don't plan on pairing it w/ snapdragon, tegra2 is my platform of choice (if it lives up to the hype).

webOS would fly on the HP Slate hardware! but battery would suffer.

with modification, the webOS would make a great tablet OS. w/ HP backing it, it might get some more developer interest also.

i really hope they don't plan on pairing it w/ snapdragon, tegra2 is my platform of choice (if it lives up to the hype).

webOS would fly on the HP Slate hardware! but battery would suffer.

They could easily use some new version of a snapdragon chip or new tegra 2/3 on a future slate device, keeping battery life up, that coupled with a lower overhead os like webOS vs the standard windows and.... OMFG THIS IS AMAZING FOR HP/PALM.

The potential future tablets, would far and away be the best on the market. Good move by HP, great for palms webOS, because HP is not going anywhere. And for the moment, neither is Palms baby.

I'm pretty happy with this! Palm gets a ton of money/support to develop WebOS to its full potential. HP gets exclusivity for an amazing OS. Pretty awesome.

If HP lives up to the commitment they have made to WebOS it may actually be able to compete.

Im just glad to see that its not going to die.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Palm will live on, and that HP is the one that bought them up. However I'm still shocked that Palm was worth 1.2B.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Palm will live on, and that HP is the one that bought them up. However I'm still shocked that Palm was worth 1.2B.

Its the patents. In this day and age the patents are worth more than the damn products themselves.

Let's just pray this acquisition doesn't go the way of many of the others from HPs past. I'm hoping that HP with Palm IP can really release some compelling devices. Time will tell.

I will however speculate there's some shitting of bricks and gnashing of teeth going on in Redmond.

Last edited:
HP hasn't released phone hardware in years and palm's recent shortcomings are due to inferior hardware (i own a pre). WebOS was supposed to be licensed out so where are all the webos devices? hopefully HP can market webos properly and get more dev support.

i like the idea of a webos tablet but it will have to be tegra2. i don't want a netbook w/ a touchscreen and from what i've read, tegra2 is much cheaper than the atom platform.

i've read some analysts saying the HP won't license out webOS because of their partner ship w/ microsoft. They also said it is unlikely that there will be an HP tablet that runs WebOS. so, i'm thinking that there will be some new Palm hardware (palm tablet perhaps?).

Last edited:
Back