Partition Magic

squares

Limp Gawd
Partition magic. Is it any good? I'm trying to partition my harddrive so I can reinstall my operating system. Can this be done with Partition magic? Also Is there a way to delete the old operating system from the partitioned drive? Thanks.

PartedMagic is free, and honestly works a lot better than Partition Magic in my opinion.

And yes, it will "delete" the partition your old OS is on....

But I want to keep what's already on my harddrive and not have to reinstall the stuff again. I just want a fresh install of windows, while keeping all my files. Is this possible?

What configuration is your drive in right now? Is your OS and all of your games, programs and data on the same partition? If that's the case, no. There is no way to uninstall just the OS from a partition. You'll need to backup your data, format your drive and start over. Don't bother with your games and programs, there are registry entries they need that will be deleted when you format, so you'll have to reinstall them anyhow...

If you have only one drive, make two partitions. One for your OS, games and programs, and the other for your data (music, movies, pictures, documents etc..), that way, the next time you reinstall your OS, you won't have the hassle of reinstalling all your data...

Hope that answers your questions...

Is partition magic even alive any more after being gobbled up by Symantec? When they buy competition, the products usually lanquish into nothingness...

I've converted everything over to Acronis TrueImage.

It's still around, although it seems to have stalled at v8.. You really ought to have a look at PartedMagic. It works very well, very reliable and in my experience is faster than most of the "pay for" variants....

i grew very frustrated with Partition Magic, it used to get me several errors, so i ditched it and changed to Acronis Disk Director Suite, works like a charm :)

Dang, I guess I have to reinstall everything. I guess i'll make sure to partition it before I reinstall.

PQ will do exactly as you want, you just have to make sure. your drive should be checked for errors and repaired. i went as far as 8.01 and then PowerQuest was bought by Symantec/Norton and i stopped there. If any one can screw it up...Symantec can.

I have owned every version of PM released through the years. I switched away when Symantec bought it and it stagnated.

It's still around, although it seems to have stalled at v8.. You really ought to have a look at PartedMagic. It works very well, very reliable and in my experience is faster than most of the "pay for" variants....

Partition magic used to be great for me, after I installed Vista I found that it doesnt support it (though I guess the current version supports it)

now i'm using this thing
Paragon Partition Manager, 8.5 Enterprise Server Edition

really nice and supports everything

picuf0.jpg

I would recommend Acronis Disk Director 10 over Norton PartitionMagic.

With Partitionmagic, it corrupted one of my partitions when i tried to merge two partitions. With Acronis, I had no such problems. I used it on WIndows XP sp2.

Partition magic used to be great for me, after I installed Vista I found that it doesnt support it (though I guess the current version supports it)

now i'm using this thing

really nice and supports everything

picuf0.jpg

So I haven't found too many sites that display the strengths and weaknesses between this product and Acornis Disk Director. Paragon costs $10 less. I already have the Acronis true image 11 home.

now i'm using this thing

I'm impressed with their products.....I come from the days of using Partition Magic, then started using Acronis products more and more. Recently found Paragon...quite a bit less $$$ than the others, and I've used their server product on a few servers problem free.

But I want to keep what's already on my harddrive and not have to reinstall the stuff again. I just want a fresh install of windows, while keeping all my files. Is this possible?
You need to be more specific with how your drive is currently configured. Unless you do a repair install, you'll be reinstalling all of your apps. You should also have a second physical drive, or an external drive to copy your data to, such as mp3s, pictures, etc, to keep them safe. Either way, Partition Magic isn't going to help you to reinstall the OS. Until you give specifics, we can't really go any farther.

I ended up buying the Paragon Partition Manager Pro edition for 69.95 from amazon. I had a gift card for $25 bucks anyway. I also snagged a like-new unused license copy of VWware Wrkstation V. 6 for $105 bucks.

VMware 6.5 price was a steal at that price. VMware is geared more towards enterprise. I use it at work and wanted my own copy for testing and packaging purposes. I am working with the eval copy of ThinApp and trying to get some pesky applications virtualized and virtualbox is far from doing anything like that. 6.5 has some pretty cool features that make the VM box feel even more seamless as it can become part of your desktop and not just a window. Pretty cool. It's just a higher calibur and at that price it was a good deal!

PartedMagic is free, and honestly works a lot better than Partition Magic in my opinion.

And yes, it will "delete" the partition your old OS is on....

I used that once, and part of the way through the process, I got some cryptic error message and my stuff was all gone in a poof. And digging up what that error message meant was fun as it usually is with Linux stuff. ...never again,instead I will buy Paragon Partition Manager when the time come up again for me to do some work with partitions.

Back