PC gaming with a noob stick :D

I was looking at a preview of need for speed carbon. It looks like a pretty cool game. I have a question about controllers though. I tried using a wheel for NFSU, but it turned out to make the game much more difficult than the keyboard because of the arcadiness (made it up). My wheel is great for sims, but I didn't like it for the NFS series. I really enjoy racing games on consoles and was wondering if there are USB controllers out there that have variable force buttons like on the xbox controllers for gas and break so it can be more than all or nothing, and if these buttons can be used and recognized by racing games as pressure sensitive?

I've always known logitech to be good at PC peripherals, but they don't seem to have any pressure sensitive controls. I remember someone praising Thrustmaster for their joysticks the other day, and behold they also have "progressive triggers", yay. Are there any other companies like this that have good gaming peripherals?

http://www.thrustmaster.com/eng/d_prd.php?p=T401&fam=5
totally hawt

I am a big fan of saitek. I have owned two of their ps2 style contollers, and couldn't be happier with them. The software that comes with them allows you to create custom profiles for each of your games.

sickwookie said:
I am a big fan of saitek. I have owned two of their ps2 style contollers, and couldn't be happier with them. The software that comes with them allows you to create custom profiles for each of your games.
those don't look like they have pressure sensitive buttons though. Also, I can only find 1 person on ebay that has the thrustmaster, and I can't find it anywhere else. I can find the older model, but the rumble feature isn't supported for PC. So I would like the newer one.

xbox controller on the PC... Like the trigger to use as gas accelerator and brake...

Works well..

Marvelous said:
xbox controller on the PC... Like the trigger to use as gas accelerator and brake...

Works well..
ummm, you can use the xbox controller on the PC? I'm confused by your response. less vague plz

You can use the PS2/XBox controllers with an adapter, make your own plug for the XBox controller, and the 360 controller works I think with little to no modification...

What you are really looking for is something with analog controls. I use a Logitech rumblepad that has 2 analog sticks - 1 for steering and 1 for gas/brake. Depending on how much you push the analog sticks determines how much accel is used. I can hold the car at any rpm I wanted just by varying the amount I push the analog sticks.

ATF678 said:
What you are really looking for is something with analog controls. I use a Logitech rumblepad that has 2 analog sticks - 1 for steering and 1 for gas/brake. Depending on how much you push the analog sticks determines how much accel is used. I can hold the car at any rpm I wanted just by varying the amount I push the analog sticks.

That would work too, but I like the finger leaver type things on the xbox controller because that is what I got used to back when I got the xbox and PGR. I have used that ever since because it's pretty natural. The xbox360 controller has them and so does the thrustmaster. So it's between those two. Has anyone tried the 360 controller on a pc? Does the analog work properly in games? If not i'll get the one thrustmaster left on the internet. :p

Gamecube controller adapter. I use the analog shoulder buttons for gas and break

The XBox 360 controller works great, but you're going to want to buy one that comes with a CD and everything for the PC, it'll get you up and running. I use mine for NFS:MW and I love it.

CodeX said:
Gamecube controller adapter. I use the analog shoulder buttons for gas and break

Same with me, although the only racing game I tried on it was motogp 2, but I just used the analog sticks and buttons, I think I used the side ones for lean angles.

Back