PCI-E SATA controller and file system

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie
My file servers ancient IDE 30GB boot drive finally quit. I'm going to use this opportunity to slightly expand. Current setup is windows 7 ult off that boot drive, 3x2TB+1x3TB data drives on separate drive letters straight off the mobo (4 ports).

Since finding an IDE drive to boot off of would be a bitch and the 4 sata ports on the mobo are full, I'm going to need a controller card. I'm also going to convert to linux and whatever the optimal storage subsystem would be. I'm also adding another 3TB drive. So the 2 questions:

1: Whats the optimal controller card to use for 5-8 disks on PCI-E for minimal cost and least configuration needed?
2: Whats the optimal file system? ZFS? RAIDZ? I don't know these things. I want redundancy, error checking, and ease of expansion as top priorities. One of the 2TB drives is getting RMAed, so that will have to be expanded upon when it gets back as well.

1 cheapest hba is m1015 ( lsi 9220-8i or smth )
2 yr few drives can make it difficult, cause you have just few options available: r5/raidz on 2s + r1/mirror

Last edited:
With RaidZ if I grab another couple drives to have 3x3TB+3x2TB could I do a 6x2TB R5 type (1 drive could fail and retain data) array if they are on 2 different HBAs?

zfs wont care where drive is located in machine or on what controller it's sitting on
same will be with linux mdadm

Back