PCIe Card causing slow boot?

locutus24

[H]ard|Gawd
Been trying to fix this issue on my own or using whatever is on Google, but nothing is working or I can't find what I am looking for.

Bought a GTX 660 Ti and it works fine overall because my intel graphics was having issues with random locking up. Once the card is installed my system boot goes down the toilet and this is only an issue because I shut my computer down every night. I can't even get into the BIOS while my card is installed, but after the POST completes my computer runs fine and from the time the Windows logo appears, to when I am logging in is only ~5secs.

Wrap-up:
1) Intel IGP was random locking up
2) Bought GTX 660 Ti for CUDA cores
3) Only one PCIe slot is usable because of my SATA locations
4) POST takes ~5-7mins just to get to Windows logo
5) Windows boots quick and computer works great afterwards

Uninstall the Intell drivers first?
Do you have an option to only use PCI-E for graphics adapter in the bios?

A few things to try:
- Boot with all your disks unplugged to eliminate software issues
- CMOS reset often does the trick (button or jumper somewhere on your motherboard)
- Try a different PCIe slot (I know you said they're usually blocked, but just for the sake of diagnosis)
- Motherboard firmware upgrade
- GPU firmware upgrade

Hit up your normal diagnostics such as Mem test if you can get into windows to use it else make a bootable drive on another pc. To your original issue of intel graphics having issues, how exactly did you isolate that to be the problem? Hardly is it IGP to have such issues.

Did you set your BIOS to check your PCI-E first?

Having a hard time even getting into BIOS, suppose I could take out the card and use the built Intel HD to get into BIOS

Uninstall the Intell drivers first?
Do you have an option to only use PCI-E for graphics adapter in the bios?

No change after doing that, still slow boot and I even have an SSD for my main drive

Hit up your normal diagnostics such as Mem test if you can get into windows to use it else make a bootable drive on another pc. To your original issue of intel graphics having issues, how exactly did you isolate that to be the problem? Hardly is it IGP to have such issues.

My IGP the intel HD 2500 or 4000 not sure which one is on the i3 Ivy Bridge processor, but using that I was booting with no issues typically around 5 seconds. After upgrading my GPU, never was able to boot properly. My Intel HD though was having problems, especially while playing videos i.e Hulu or Youtube.

Not sure I will probably just have to live with this issue or one day get a new card.

Back