PCs showing up w/ External IP Address

Zick

Gawd
Sorry if I don't have enough info, trying to help my wife with problems they are having at their office. This could possible be normal but I don't ever recall seeing or hearing it being this way.

They have a T1 line coming in to their office, a router(don't recall type) and then to a 3Com 16 port switch.

They have a 1 Windows 2000 server (using as simple file server now) and about a dozen XP desktops/laptops.
They are all setup with DHCP addresses coming from the router.

Question: Why is it when I try to ping another computer (e.g. the server) it shows it's trying to ping their External IP Address and not the Internal 192.168.x.x address?

The first time I could not get a reply from the server but after I did a DNS Flush and DNS Register, I finally got a reply from the server but it still show an External IP address.

:confused:

What's running DNS, the same 2000 box? If so, make sure the primary DNS for the workstations points to that IP and then that box forwards it out to the internet when it can't answer.

All the machine (including the server) are setup obtain the DNS server address automatically.
When I look at IPCONFIG /ALL, DNS is pointing to the router.

From what I can tell, the 2000 box is not setup to do anything but store their files and share them out to everyone.

Do you have an A Record for the 2000 Server in DNS on the router? If not, you'll need one that points to it's internal IP. Then it should ping to that IP.

Do be aware that if your XP boxes are using a second external DNS server they could be asking it for the 2000 box's ip address, and if it has a fully qualified name, it will ersolve to the external address.

Do be aware that if your XP boxes are using a second external DNS server they could be asking it for the 2000 box's ip address, and if it has a fully qualified name, it will ersolve to the external address.

The XP machines are setup to receive DNS from the router. I don't know what DNS server the router is getting because right now I don't have access to it. I will this weekend but what to get an idea of what to look for before I go in.

What do you mean if it has a fully qualified name? I know what that means but how or where do you tell if it's using it?

Remember guys, the 2000 box is not doing anything but housing files and sharing them out on a drive.
In my opinion it's just like any of the other PCs in the office. Maybe my thinking if wrong here and please correct me if it is.

If the router is handing out IP addresses, it's probably registering the IPs of it's clients in it's DNS. If the server is not using DHCP, instead if it's using a static IP, it will not have a registration in DNS. So, you'll have to add an A record for it in the forward lookup zone of that domain.

If the router is handing out IP addresses, it's probably registering the IPs of it's clients in it's DNS. If the server is not using DHCP, instead if it's using a static IP, it will not have a registration in DNS. So, you'll have to add an A record for it in the forward lookup zone of that domain.

The server is also using DHCP from the Router.

FYI: I just found out that the router they are using is a Zonet ZSR0104CP.
Anyone familiar with those? I see it's got a feature for Dynamic DNS but I am unfamiliar with that.

Back