People with Ultra 6800s: What are your Temps?

oozish

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm running up to 90C with my GT no matter how I configure my system's cooling. I even completely rebuilt my case today and put my variable speed fan in the front to draw in more cool air but it doesn't make anydifference. I blew a huge room fan directly at the open case siding right at the card and only dropped it 3-4C. That card needs direct cooling, luckily, there are no ill effects from the hot card besides that it heats up....no graphical problems and it doesn't seem to effect my case ambient temp much either.

HOWEVER, I'm interested in what the ULTRA's can do with their two slot solution fan. What I want people to do it test it in a similar manner as I'm testing mine, by installing This program in as big a window as you can for 5 minutes or more while still wathcing your temps through the display properties window.

What are your temps folks with ULTRAS?

-are you overclocking much?

-my gt sits in 40's but im watercooling

-whats your room temp? in summer if its 80's in your room stuff wont cool much with fans.

-if nothing you do seems to cool it down try reseating the fan with new arctic silver. i have had a bad seating raise my cpu temps 15'c even on water

joobjoob said:
-are you overclocking much?

-my gt sits in 40's but im watercooling

-whats your room temp? in summer if its 80's in your room stuff wont cool much with fans.

-if nothing you do seems to cool it down try reseating the fan with new arctic silver. i have had a bad seating raise my cpu temps 15'c even on water

Temps in here are about 80F; I agree with your assumption, since I've tried every manner to get this card cooler and nothing seems to work. Reseating the fan? That would void my warranty, and BFG will give me a new card if this ever fails, so I'm not up for aftermarket cooling solutions.

40s would be nice. I love 'cool'. I've seriously been considering water cooling lately, of course, water cooling the Card would void my warranty as well.

near silence and speed are hard to turn away from.

i use seperate the 2d and 3d speeds with 2d i lower it to 250/900

just a thought that may help keep things cool.

oozish said:
Temps in here are about 80F; I agree with your assumption, since I've tried every manner to get this card cooler and nothing seems to work. Reseating the fan? That would void my warranty, and BFG will give me a new card if this ever fails, so I'm not up for aftermarket cooling solutions.

40s would be nice. I love 'cool'. I've seriously been considering water cooling lately, of course, water cooling the Card would void my warranty as well.

Only if they find out.

joobjoob said:
near silence and speed are hard to turn away from.

i use seperate the 2d and 3d speeds with 2d i lower it to 250/900

just a thought that may help keep things cool.

Right on! I only o/c if I'm gaming.

i dont know if the 2d and 3d settings come default with drivers but with coolbits i have it and it sure is a great feature.

i wish they would have implemented it long ago

It went up to 81C after ~5 minutes of that demo running in a 1024x768 window beside my temp readings. Ambient was 57C. This is on a BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC at stock speeds.

Scott

sonyman said:
It went up to 81C after ~5 minutes of that demo running in a 1024x768 window beside my temp readings. Ambient was 57C. This is on a BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC at stock speeds.

Scott

don't forget to post your idle temps!

EngenZerO said:
BFG 6800 Ultra OC @ 450/1.2 full load around 86C idle 63C

That's so weird I idle around 61-62 but my temp will keep slowly going up till about 90-91 on a GT over about 5-10 minutes. Obviously the bigger fan is helping keep things under control? then again, my temps seem high compared to others i have no idea..guess it's my ambient room temp and setup since I've tried two cards in a row and they both post similar temps for me.

With the screwed pny 6800U, i hit 95C steadily. Not sure what the idle temp was. PNY is getting it back and i will get another. They had better put the heatsink on the right way this time.

The x800 pro and xt PE also get very hot. Seems to be the norm with the latest batch of video cards...

My 6800 GT @ 428/1110 is running at 59c. I think the extra molex and power on the Ultra is causing the heat difference.

theNoid said:
My 6800 GT @ 428/1110 is running at 59c. I think the extra molex and power on the Ultra is causing the heat difference.

That's low. Maybe you're missing the point, the Ultras aren't running hotter, if anything they are cooler.

oozish said:
That's low. Maybe you're missing the point, the Ultras aren't running hotter, if anything they are cooler.

Dont think he was runing the rthdribl demo when he was lookin at heat.

Nobody that I know of could keep there card under 70C on air while running that program, at least not on stock air cooling.

oozish said:
That's so weird I idle around 61-62 but my temp will keep slowly going up till about 90-91 on a GT over about 5-10 minutes. Obviously the bigger fan is helping keep things under control? then again, my temps seem high compared to others i have no idea..guess it's my ambient room temp and setup since I've tried two cards in a row and they both post similar temps for me.

well... honestly, I am not concerened with my temps. i believe they are in the normal operating range for the cards. I also think the bigger cooler does help alot with the cooling. its case setup which is leading to my high temps. my wavemaster has poor internal circuialtion.

EngenZerO said:
well... honestly, I am not concerened with my temps. i believe they are in the normal operating range for the cards. I also think the bigger cooler does help alot with the cooling. its case setup which is leading to my high temps. my wavemaster has poor internal circuialtion.

Ya, I mean, who are we gonna believe, what the manufacture tells us or our own fabricated idea of what 'normal' should be? :) It's just I've got the hottest cards/setup of anyone I've read about online. Honestly, don't know if people are that far off tho, since I do run the rthbl whatever demo and alot of people probably are not doing that. If I just exit out of a game usually i'll be in the high 70's..which means my temps were probably high 80's, which I'm fine with.

It's just running that intensive damn demo my temps get up to 91-92C! I haven't heard hardly anyone that happens to. According to the manufacturer, tho, I'm well in safe territory.

what else is weird is I'm idling even below many people, it's just under load that mine shoots up that high. That seems odd to me, I idle about 61....why would my card heat up higher than others whose idle is the same?

oozish said:
Ya, I mean, who are we gonna believe, what the manufacture tells us or our own fabricated idea of what 'normal' should be? :) It's just I've got the hottest cards/setup of anyone I've read about online. Honestly, don't know if people are that far off tho, since I do run the rthbl whatever demo and alot of people probably are not doing that. If I just exit out of a game usually i'll be in the high 70's..which means my temps were probably high 80's, which I'm fine with.

It's just running that intensive damn demo my temps get up to 91-92C! I haven't heard hardly anyone that happens to. According to the manufacturer, tho, I'm well in safe territory.

what else is weird is I'm idling even below many people, it's just under load that mine shoots up that high. That seems odd to me, I idle about 61....why would my card heat up higher than others whose idle is the same?

Well since I am the one who origionally came up with the procedure described by the person who started this thread (I posted it 1st over on the NVnews forum), I can tell you my temps of 51 / 72c are accurate. When I 1st used the procedure to see what my Ultra was doing, I was running much higher. I have since added one fan to my Antec case, and removed the blank-off's where I have no PCI cards, to allow the Ultra's cooler fan to draw air from outside the case. I now see a peak of 72 degrees when running the tool for 1/2 hour which is a major improvement.

scott122 said:
Well since I am the one who origionally came up with the procedure described by the person who started this thread (I posted it 1st over on the NVnews forum), I can tell you my temps of 51 / 72c are accurate. When I 1st used the procedure to see what my Ultra was doing, I was running much higher. I have since added one fan to my Antec case, and removed the blank-off's where I have no PCI cards, to allow the Ultra's cooler fan to draw air from outside the case. I now see a peak of 72 degrees when running the tool for 1/2 hour which is a major improvement.

ya, i read your post but Hard hangout is my home and I can't register over there it says i'm (my email) is banned, lol. anyway, watch what you post since I read over there as much as I do here, I'm lurking! Plus, it's not like you wrote that demo did you--but I agree your idea of using it to stress test cards is great, it's like the Prime95 of the video card realm.

Anyway, that's a cool card tester for sure. You removed the blankoffs? Hmm, i haven't thought about doing that, that would be easy to try. I'll post if it helps since I have 2 right below my card I can easily remove.

Transcend: I am enjoying my card, I just get a little obsessive about temps and want to learn all I can before giving up. I'm running all games great at 12x10 with AA/AF jor 16x12 without and very happy with the GT. :)

oh wow that's amazing! I dropped my temps from high of 92+ to a high of 87 to 88 SIMPLY BY REMOVING THE PCI SLOT POSTS! I've never done that since I've always heard about the negative pressure/vacuum effect you want to create in the case. Oh also, as I've posted, I put my high power Variable Speed (with a knob that I can control it in a pci slot, pretty cool!) fan in the front of the case to draw cooler air in.

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have ever thought to do that since it seemed intuitive to me that that would be counterproductive of all I've read RE: cooling.

:)

Guys you need to post the ambient temperatures in your case. That has dramatic effects on how hot your cards are running. You can have the most powerful fan in the world. If it pushes 50C hot air onto your video card it won´t help much. That is no difference if you watercool or air cool really.

I would think it would be a wiser solution if you have a slot cooler or a fan near your video card to use it to exhaust hot air instead of taking new air into your case heat it up with your video card so your ambients get even worse ;)

oqvist said:
Guys you need to post the ambient temperatures in your case. That has dramatic effects on how hot your cards are running. You can have the most powerful fan in the world. If it pushes 50C hot air onto your video card it won´t help much. That is no difference if you watercool or air cool really.

I would think it would be a wiser solution if you have a slot cooler or a fan near your video card to use it to exhaust hot air instead of taking new air into your case heat it up with your video card so your ambients get even worse ;)

no, no...let me clarify. I have two intake fans in the front, one more powerful than the other. I have an exhaust fan right below the PS fan. All I did was open up the slots beheanth the card so it can draw in cool(er) air from the outside.

I've tried all sorts of ways of configuring the case. This is the only solution that kept my temps in the 'normal (80's) range.

Normal idle/ambient is 61/44.

Under load ambient moves to 55ish, and load the core moves to 87-88 like I said.

btw, my system ambient temp is 33-35

Wow those things run incredible hot I really hope those heat sensors are completely off the scale :eek: If you touch the heatsink how hot is it? It should be hot but do you get blisters?

I did hear that some of the first retail 6800GTs had bad temp sensors because my card is 50's idle and 70's load @ 435/1150 and almost no case fans (1 case 2 PS).

oqvist said:
Wow those things run incredible hot I really hope those heat sensors are completely off the scale :eek: If you touch the heatsink how hot is it? It should be hot but do you get blisters?

In the middle of benching, like when it reads 90C, if you touch it it's hot. You couldn't touch it for more than 2-3 seconds on that metal part on the back of the card.

In the year 2045, when everyone is flying to work in their rocket cars, apes are our masters and I've finally got my 6800GT card.....

I'm going to rig a PCI intake fan to blow cool outside air directly onto the 6800GT. I can live with case temps that are slightly higher if it means the card is cooler and the fan quieter. I just can't find anything like that on sale, so I'll just have to bodge something. :D

oozish said:
if you touch it it's hot. You couldn't touch it for more than 2-3 seconds on that metal part on the back of the card.
That's a good sign, at least there's good heat transfer going on between GPU and heatsink.

Wow, I just talked to BFG and they said there may be some truth in that batch of cards that read too high theory. He said the card should be in the 70's! I may just trade mine in again when a fresh batch arrives. He said the Ultra's should be running in the 70's as well.

With an ambient case temp of 33C, my case isn't the problem. Looks like there may be some truth to the poster aboves rumour theory.

oozish said:
Wow, I just talked to BFG and they said there may be some truth in that batch of cards that read too high theory. He said the card should be in the 70's! I may just trade mine in again when a fresh batch arrives. He said the Ultra's should be running in the 70's as well.

With an ambient case temp of 33C, my case isn't the problem. Looks like there may be some truth to the poster aboves rumour theory.
RUMOUR THEORY???

It may not seem like it but I do know about some of the things I post about.
:p

If you can touch it for 2-3 seconds I don´t think it´s running that hot really.

kcthebrewer said:
RUMOUR THEORY???

It may not seem like it but I do know about some of the things I post about.
:p
sheesh, settle down. You didn't write it very convincingly...'I did hear'

from who? It sounds like rumour to me.

Anyway, maybe you should drink less coffee.

I've yet to see my GT break 60c. Overclocked to 420/1150, watercooled, card says ambient is 40, case sensors says it is 34. Actual room temp is around 29-30c in the area near the case. :D

65* F air conditioned room+LianLi PC75 with 6 Vantec Stealth fans+6800U (when it arrives) = Overclocking headroom :D

If the PNY ships the damn card anytime soon, I will post temps.

Edit: Oh yeah.. oozish.. your song "X " is pretty cool...

eastvillager said:
I've yet to see my GT break 60c. Overclocked to 420/1150, watercooled, card says ambient is 40, case sensors says it is 34. Actual room temp is around 29-30c in the area near the case. :D
Nice! I'd love to have water cooling.

CSx-2011 said:
65* F air conditioned room+LianLi PC75 with 6 Vantec Stealth fans+6800U (when it arrives) = Overclocking headroom :D

If the PNY ships the damn card anytime soon, I will post temps.

Edit: Oh yeah.. oozish.. your song "X " is pretty cool...

Thanks man, glad you liked 'X'! :cool:

Back