pfSense 2.0- NUT Battery.Charge.Low

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have NUT up and running and all is good except for the fact that it does not trigger shutdown until the battery reaches 10% remaining. Due to the aged batteries that I have (aka I am too cheap to replace them) by the time it hits 10% it runs for less than 10 seconds before the UPS runs out of juice.

I managed to set the battery.charge.low value in NUT to begin shutdown at 30% which gives pfsense more than enough time to shutdown before the batteries in the UPS die but I have found out time and again that the value gets set back to 10% on reboot. I am using the following commands to change the value:

1. Log into console
2. Append following to: /usr/local/etc/nut/upsd.users:
[service]
password = passwordgoeshere
allowfrom = localhost
actions = set

3. Execute: upsd -c reload
4. Execute: upsrw -s battery.charge.low=30 -u service -p 'abovepassword' UPS@localhost

I finally verify using: upsc UPS@localhost battery.charge.low and it returns the value of 30. As soon as I reboot it goes back to 10.

Since I have invested more than 5 hours into this seemingly simple task I have turned up empty handed. I ask you, pfSense Gurus how the heck do I go about fixing this problem?

Wow, I am glad that I had a challenging question in that there are no responses yet! I am thinking of adding the command that I need to crontab and to run every 30 mins or so. Yes, it is redundant however it will ensure that I will achieve the 30% remaining that I am looking for.

Any other comments are still welcome.

Back