Phenom 9650 Temps

kirk121

Limp Gawd
I just got a Phenom 9650 for my asus m2n32 sli deluxe with the latest bios, and the temps are getting high enough that I am starting to get a little worried. The temps that I am getting are from speed fan is showing 62 c and up depending on what I am doing. And the room temp is around 25c. I tried core temp and it was showing a 20c difference on the processor temps, so I am not sure which one to trust.

And i know that the motherboard is only a AM2 not a AM2+, could this be the reason that my temps are so high?:confused:

Also I would like to note that I am water cooling my 2 8800 gts 640mb video cards as well.

Finally I would like to mention that I am overclocking to 2.8GHz, and running at 1.3v.

This is the water block that I have and I am thinking that it is time to get a better one, so I am in need of options.:(

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...cket_AM2_for_MultiCore_CPU.html?tl=g30c85s140

But I also think that my Radiator is having a problem cooling the water down enough, so I am thinking of getting this.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...treme_240_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s160

Thanks

I'm not too familiar with the Phenom temps but I am interested in upgrading to one from my X2 6000+.

Have you tried updating the bios? That usually fixes most problems with temperature monitors. That waterblock should be ok unless you mounted it wrong or if your thermal paste was applied incorrectly. That isn't the best radiator though if you do plan to upgrade. I highly recommend the Feser 240 instead. I recently bought one and it is keeping my 4870X2 and X2 6000+ at 34 and 38 respectively,

Yes I am running the latest bios

I will have to look into the radiator you mentioned, and see how well it performs.

just so you know.. i have that exact board.. and the temps you see in speed fan are wrong.. the ones you think are cpu temps.. aka temp 1 temp 2 temp 3.. they are in the wrong order.. use realtemp or coretemp to find your actual cpu temps.. there should be a 10-15 degree difference between what you see on speedfan from what you will see in real temp and coretemp.. if your running 2 cards and overclocking your cpu on 1 loop.. would make sense why the temps are so high.. but dont trust the temps on speedfan.. i only ever use speedfan for the hdd temps..

hopefully you have better luck then i have with that m2n-sli deluxe board..

coretemp and HWmoniter both show my 9650 @ 30c at idle i am using a ASUS M2N-E with the latest bios.

just so you know.. i have that exact board.. and the temps you see in speed fan are wrong.. the ones you think are cpu temps.. aka temp 1 temp 2 temp 3.. they are in the wrong order.. use realtemp or coretemp to find your actual cpu temps.. there should be a 10-15 degree difference between what you see on speedfan from what you will see in real temp and coretemp.. if your running 2 cards and overclocking your cpu on 1 loop.. would make sense why the temps are so high.. but dont trust the temps on speedfan.. i only ever use speedfan for the hdd temps..

hopefully you have better luck then i have with that m2n-sli deluxe board..

Thanks for the reply, I am starting to agree with what you said about speed fan and yes I was going off temp1 which has always seemed to be the correct one to go off of. And as of right now with 3 F@H going on my cpu core's and one on my gpu I am getting a temp of 62c with speed fan, and a temp of 44c with core temp.

And I also noticed that when only running 2 f@H on my cpu and not running the 3rd or the core it seems to get almost just as hot so I was starting to think that the motherboard was not reading the temps right from the processor or something like that.

And now that you mention it, I looked at the one listed as core on speed fan and it seems to be almost the same as what core temp is showing.

Thanks for the help guys you might have just saved me money, but I will still get a better raid before summer comes around.

yeah..the core temp shown in speedfan is just the temp of cpu0/core0.. but 44C sounds about right for 3 F@H clients on that processor.. but i usually stick with coretemp for my cpu temps so i can see what the temps are on each core instead of just 1..

example my athlon x2 6400+ at full load on both cores would show 65C on temp 1 for speed fan.. but 40C on the core temp in speedfan.. in coretemp it would show core0 at 40C but core1 at 44C.. which is why id rather see both temps then just 1 temp..

yeah..the core temp shown in speedfan is just the temp of cpu0/core0.. but 44C sounds about right for 3 F@H clients on that processor.. but i usually stick with coretemp for my cpu temps so i can see what the temps are on each core instead of just 1..

example my athlon x2 6400+ at full load on both cores would show 65C on temp 1 for speed fan.. but 40C on the core temp in speedfan.. in coretemp it would show core0 at 40C but core1 at 44C.. which is why id rather see both temps then just 1 temp..

But from what I read is that the Phenoms only have one temp probe, which kind of sucks as we only get one temp for 4 cores.

And now that I have switched speedfan over to showing me the core in my taskbar the two programs seem to be agreeing with each other .

O and another quick question, I noticed that the temp1 from speed fan and the temp in the bios seemed to be the same. I was wondering why they would be showing about the same temps, when core temp was showing about 20c diff.

Back