Phenom 9850BE in stock at the egg - 243.00

i'm seriously considering one of these for a server build. but with the q9300 not much more, hmm...

shall I break out my newegg prefered account card and order whats on my wish list? :D

i do need to retire this Athlon XP

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...hListNumber=11029067&WishListTitle=AMD+Phenom

I'd get the Lian Li PC7 instead of the PC-65

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099

It lacks the window, but it has 2 x 120mm fans. They're loud though, so pin-mod them or pick up some S-Flex 1200RPM fans. The doors and top rattle, so use some 3M Microfiber foam tape in strategic areas and its good to go.

I'd also ditch the SilenX fan, I've never had one that lasted more than a week.

The PCP&C is a good unit, but I'd go with the TX750 from Corsair, but that's just my personal preference--rather have a 120mm fan.

The Raptors are the staple balls-to-the-wall hard drive, but I'd try some of WD's new 320gb/platter drives. Their model numbers end in "AAKS." They're pretty quick too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074

You could raid two of these ($75/drive) for the price of 1 raptor and you have twice the space. It pans-out. That would free-up some cash for a better monitor.

So yea, pull the trigger. :)

its on par with q6600 or thereabouts :D
I wish. It generally lags the Q6600 in most benchmarks but I have a good feeling that Deneb might finally catch up that that year+ old CPU by the time it hits the terrible twos. ;)

Someone will buy this CPU for one of two reasons:
1) The CPU is on his upgrade path and it gives a good boost for a reasonable price and minimal hassle
2) He wants to only buy AMD CPUs.

Performance and overclockability vs the competition are not the reasons.

I would suggest a 9800GTX single GPU solution over the 3870X2, and this motherboard instead if you want better performance while saving some cash, and you will still have Crossfire capability in case RV770 pans out to be a good solution. There's also some good advice in this thread, so the OP would do well to heed for a still fast, well-balanced system that will be easier on the pocketbook.

Like for instance, instead of the Raptors and the 1TB single for storage, just get a second 1TB and put them in a RAID0 array. The larger the drive's cache, the better.

And for the price of the 3870 X2, if you still want some dual GPU love, get two 8800GT 512MB cards and an ASUS Crosshair (590 SLI with Phenom compatibility - or better yet get an nForce 780a if they ever become available), which in the end you will see significantly better performance. And if you're worried about HT speeds, it really doesn't affect performance much if at all in 1S systems.

While it may be great to spend lots of money on an overkill amount of hardware just for the pimp factor of it, sometimes it's best to take a more practical approach when piecing together a system.

Nope...couldn't fight the itch for some quad core goodness..Guess the media server will get my 5000BE.

AARGH!!.........in for one to replace my #2 5000+BE on an abit AX78. Need more folding capacity. I just hope that I get one out of the same batch as Tony over at XtremeSystems forum........3.5ghz on water!

I'm going to wait until they release the 3.0+ BE Quad-Core....might as well anyway since I'm still waiting on an nVidia 790i mobo for the AM2+ processors.

AARGH!!.........in for one to replace my #2 5000+BE on an abit AX78. Need more folding capacity. I just hope that I get one out of the same batch as Tony over at XtremeSystems forum........3.5ghz on water!

He only managed 3.2GHz 100% stable on a heavy-duty WC setup. Still it's better than the B2 revisions max of 2.6-2.8GHz. I for one won't be impressed until 3.6-3.8 is stable, and because of it's more complex monolithic design, I really don't think that will be possible at reasonable TDPs based upon what we have seen until 45nm.

I'm going to wait until they release the 3.0+ BE Quad-Core....might as well anyway since I'm still waiting on an nVidia 780a mobo for the AM2+ processors.

Fixed and agreed. My X2 5600 is good enough until something truly better is out. I hope the rumors about Kuma not scaling high aren't true. I'd gladly buy a 3-3.2GHz SKU. :)

He only managed 3.2GHz 100% stable on a heavy-duty WC setup. Still it's better than the B2 revisions max of 2.6-2.8GHz. I for one won't be impressed until 3.6-3.8 is stable, and because of it's more complex monolithic design, I really don't think that will be possible at reasonable TDPs based upon what we have seen until 45nm.

Agreed, 3.2GHz on heavy water is not that surprising considering most reviewers have been getting 2.8 - 2.9GHz overclocks on air anyway. People are going nuts over the 3.5GHz screenshot but aren't looking at the bigger picture. A stock 9850BE is already 125W, you could easily double that by heavy overvolting, as 'Tony' at XS did. This is way beyond the realms of HSFs. With a high speed fan, high end HSFs can handle up to 200W OK, so you may get 3GHz if you're lucky, but I'm afraid 'Tony' has just set people up for massive disappointments, which isn't even his fault, its just people taking his achievements out of context.

Fixed and agreed. My X2 5600 is good enough until something truly better is out. I hope the rumors about Kuma not scaling high aren't true. I'd gladly buy a 3-3.2GHz SKU. :)

I hopw it's not true as well but then again...listening to the rumor mill just kills all hopes and expectations. But that 45nm native Quad Core just makes me want one so badly.

I'd get the Lian Li PC7 instead of the PC-65

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099

It lacks the window, but it has 2 x 120mm fans. They're loud though, so pin-mod them or pick up some S-Flex 1200RPM fans. The doors and top rattle, so use some 3M Microfiber foam tape in strategic areas and its good to go.

I'd also ditch the SilenX fan, I've never had one that lasted more than a week.

if can find me that with a window ill switch and use 2 led 120mm fans :)

noise isn't an issue with me hence the reason i have 2 WD raptors on the list and PCP&P

For the cooler, might I suggest a Thermalright Ultima 90 with a 120mm S-Flex.

Yea, no removable mobo tray on the PC7, but the hard drive caddy is removable. There are two screws in the back, and the caddy slips under a lip that's riveted to the floor in the front:

pc7_1.jpg

ah ok it looked like it was permanant.

i hate that newegg doesn't have this case with the window.

EDIT: im going to start my own thread so that i may get some suggestions and not keep this thread off toppic.

AMD is saying that Shanghai and Deneb should be available 2H this year. B3 steppings of Kuma should be here by the end of June, with the 45nm shrink this coming winter.

According to Anandtech most of the 780G chipset mobos don't support 9850BE, 9900, or 6400+ X2. In fact, you would have to get a new motherboard after screwing it up.

According to Anandtech most of the 780G chipset mobos don't support 9850BE, 9900, or 6400+ X2. In fact, you would have to get a new motherboard after screwing it up.

How come? Explain this a little more.

Back