Phenom II X4 965 $140 @ Newegg/Amazon Shipped

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
for those near a microcenter i think this is still part of the free motherboard deal.

got one of these with a matx that formed the basis for a media box for 150.

...I'm trying to hold out for the new AMD things to drop prices of previous things, but this makes it hard.

I'd have to get a new board and new RAM, though, and then I'd want to upgrade my case, so...raaah.

Hahah this cpu for a media box... I'm still running an AthlonXP 3700+ in my media box, with 2gb of DDR and a Radeon X300 SE. All parts cannibalized from broken machines, or donated by others who thought they were broken or too obsolete to find a use for. Considering the box has 166 days of update, runs 3 servers simultaneously (low load of course) and streams 5tb of HD media to my entire house (both cat5 and wifi) without any stuttering.... I'm quite pleased.

But back on topic this cpu is tits, one of the best budget gamer cpus on the market right now imo.

Yeah I am upgrading a friend right now...just hard to decide whether to recommend this or wait til June 11th

Almost got me to upgrade my q6600 especially because I have an AMD board just sitting around. But I'll wait until something makes me need more than a q6600.

Besides, this isn't more than a Q6600 assuming you have overclocked it reasonably. I'm still waiting on something to make me "need" more than Q6600 @ 3.2 -- there's nothing out there yet, as far as games go.

Back