Done
6023case_intern.jpg

and now the cool part :cool:

6023case_mount_2.jpg

6023case_mount_1.jpg

6023case_extended_close.jpg

6023case_extended.jpg

6023case_final.jpg

Hey, I haven't posted pics in this thread?

Duallie #1 (rogue_jedi's rig) - p3 933x2, 2x512 MB memory, 8 and 10gb boot disks, Tyan 2515

Duallie #2 (my fileserver) - p3 866x2, 2x1024 MB memory, 9gb scsi boot disk, 3x300 Maxtor Maxline 3 in raid 5, Supermicro 370DER+

The Supermicro board is *so* much easier to deal with, but only one PCI-X slot. I guess that's where sata port multipliers come in, eventually :D

Anarchy said:
My good ole P3TDDR :)
and now the cool part :cool:
I love how you were able to fit it into the keyboard tray thing! That's genious in my book!

~Great job

These rigs are so intresting, props to the rigs guys! Inspires me to build my own sometime :)

Anarchy said:
@towert - that's a 1U server chassis + rails and not an Keyboard tray ;)
Yup, I know. I'm just saying I love how you used it in place of one of those keyboard trays! I've never seen it done before.

Emission said:
tsueh I love your dual Athlons! Those sinks are friggin SWEET!

Yeah, and they're friggin' loud, too. :p I wanna run it naked because I'm cheap, but I might have to find a case for that thing, because the noise will ruin my living room for sure.

Full Folding Ahead!

JediFonger said:
lol, got 'nuff screws there Anarchy =). that was awesome =).
Maybe. Think about the leverage for a minute - that end of the rails is basically holding the whole weight of the machine when it's extended, into what looks like 3/4" plywood. More screws is better here.

unhappy_mage said:
Maybe. Think about the leverage for a minute - that end of the rails is basically holding the whole weight of the machine when it's extended, into what looks like 3/4" plywood. More screws is better here.

[ URL=http://www.hardfolding.com?go=38&tm=33&id=150072][ IMG]http://www.hardfolding.com/ftag1.php/mem/150072.png[ /IMG][ /URL][ URL=http://www.hardfolding.com?go=36&id=1392] http://www.hardfolding.com/utag.php/mem/1392.png[ /IMG][ /URL]
[/QUOTE]

... until you anaylse it. You just need four screws of adequate size. The screws near the front will act as a fulcrum for that leverage, and force the ends of the rails in the back into the desk.

Finally added a second processor to my file server about a month ago, just finally got around to snapping a pictures. It had been running as a single p3 since I built it a few years ago. It's now got two :).

IMG_0405.jpg

2x P3 1.0ghz.
Supermicro 370DL3
3x 256mb PC133 Registered ECC

SoulkeepHL said:
Finally added a second processor to my file server about a month ago, just finally got around to snapping a pictures. It had been running as a single p3 since I built it a few years ago. It's now got two :).

IMG_0405.jpg

2x P3 1.0ghz.
Supermicro 370DL3
3x 256mb PC133 Registered ECC

thats a nice file server u got there, how much space u got there, it looks like alot

roninblade said:
thats a nice file server u got there, how much space u got there, it looks like alot

There should be more pictures and specs on the server floating around in this thread somewhere, but I've got no idea where, so here we go:

12x 200 GB IDE RAID5 (2TB - 11 in RAID5 with 1 hotspare on a 3Ware 7506-12)
2x 200 GB IDE (Backup - Internal on Promise (Maxtor) Ultra 133 TX2 controller)
1x 300 GB IDE (Backup - Internal on Promise (Maxtor) Ultra 133 TX2 controller)
1x 200 GB IDE (Backup - Exernal in USB 2.0 Enclosure)
1x 9 GB 10k U160 SCSI (Boot on onboard U160 controller)

SoulkeepHL said:
There should be more pictures and specs on the server floating around in this thread somewhere, but I've got no idea where, so here we go:

12x 200 GB IDE RAID5 (2TB - 11 in RAID5 with 1 hotspare on a 3Ware 7506-12)
2x 200 GB IDE (Backup - Internal on Promise (Maxtor) Ultra 133 TX2 controller)
1x 300 GB IDE (Backup - Internal on Promise (Maxtor) Ultra 133 TX2 controller)
1x 200 GB IDE (Backup - Exernal in USB 2.0 Enclosure)
1x 9 GB 10k U160 SCSI (Boot on onboard U160 controller)

how heavy is that?

Here is my rig, I built it myself when I was 15, was damn proud hehe. It is still my main workstation, but soon to be the family file/media server. I'm currently working on pelt cooling both. Specs:

2x Tualatin [email protected]
2GB DDR 2x corsair 512 XMS, 2x Mushkin lv2
2x maxtor 120GB Raid 0, WD120GB caviar
6600GT(w Zalman V700)
TT Volcano 10+ with TT smartfan(like a tornado)

Images are clickable

Before upgrade on stock HSF

Before everyone starts flaming me, give this post a chance, a lot of people like this kind of old skool hardware pr0n...

I've had this SPARCStation 20 lying around forever and figured I'd mod it and put it to use as a firewall and router for my home network. It's a screaming banshee ... with 2x Texas
Insturments Z55 CPUs w/ onboard cache controllers running at a blistering 50MHz a piece!!! :eek: A complete MONSTER ... built in 1994 this thing is a tank and weighs at
least 30 - 40 pounds even though it's just a pizza-box chassis. The CPU's are stacked on top of each other ... this is a classic Sun SBUS configuration.
SparcFW_Processors.jpg

It's running 2x IBM 4GB SCSI drives for storage...
SparcFW_HardDrives.jpg

It will make a fantastic firewall / router because it's loaded to the hilt with NICs. It's got the built in Lance Ethernet (le0) capable of only 10Mbps, but it's also got
2x Happy Meal Ethernet (hme0 & hme1) cards capable of 100Mbps and an awesome Quad Fast Ethernet (qfe0 - qfe3) also capable of 100Mbps!
SparcFW_QFE.jpg

Overall shot of the inside of the case...
SparcFW_Memory.jpg

POST screen showing the ROM and HDD info:
SparcFW_POST_SCSI.jpg

Screenie of the hardware configuration:
SparcFW_Hardware.jpg

And one of the 1337 network power!
SparcFW_NICs.jpg

I'm going to be starting a worklog in the Case Mod Forum for those that are interested.
It's going to recieve a CD-ROM drive, more active cooling, lighting, and a paint job. :D

here is a picture of my new dual p3 733 file/shell server. it's Still WIP but hope to be done is 2 weeks...

gibson3.jpg

My gaming duallie. I don't have pics of the servers insides though. The gaming box is the one on the right. It's guts are pictured below. Specs in sig.

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

sn3ak3rp1mp said:
Before everyone starts flaming me, give this post a chance, a lot of people like this kind of old skool hardware pr0n...

I've had this SPARCStation 20 lying around forever and figured I'd mod it and put it to use as a firewall and router for my home network. It's a screaming banshee ... with 2x Texas
Insturments Z55 CPUs w/ onboard cache controllers running at a blistering 50MHz a piece!!! :eek: A complete MONSTER ... built in 1994 this thing is a tank and weighs at
least 30 - 40 pounds even though it's just a pizza-box chassis. The CPU's are stacked on top of each other ... this is a classic Sun SBUS configuration.

It's running 2x IBM 4GB SCSI drives for storage...

It will make a fantastic firewall / router because it's loaded to the hilt with NICs. It's got the built in Lance Ethernet (le0) capable of only 10Mbps, but it's also got
2x Happy Meal Ethernet (hme0 & hme1) cards capable of 100Mbps and an awesome Quad Fast Ethernet (qfe0 - qfe3) also capable of 100Mbps!

Overall shot of the inside of the case...

POST screen showing the ROM and HDD info:

Screenie of the hardware configuration:

And one of the 1337 network power!

I'm going to be starting a worklog in the Case Mod Forum for those that are interested.
It's going to recieve a CD-ROM drive, more active cooling, lighting, and a paint job. :D
hot

I really should get a network card for my SS20 and start using it for a firewall...it would work very nicely, and as you said, they are built like tanks...no pets, friends, or family could do much to harm it! I look forward to checking out your worklog!

Not it doesn't generally help in gaming. Though Quake 4 benchmarks better on dual processor and dual core rigs. Though the system itself does bennefit from dual CPU's or dual cores because the OS supports it. So if you go alt tabbing out of a game, the system will respond much more quickly and smoothly. The same is true for people who like to have winamp or Windows Media Player running in the background. You won't take as much of a performance hit if there are more physical resources for the system.

Weren't NVidia and ATI supposed to ship dual-core aware drivers that shuffled some of the work around inside the driver? Did they ever do that? How did it turn out?

mikeblas said:
Weren't NVidia and ATI supposed to ship dual-core aware drivers that shuffled some of the work around inside the driver? Did they ever do that? How did it turn out?

They did do that. I think all 80 series Forceware drivers and Catalyst 6 something on up are all multi-threaded. Though it doesn't really help THAT much.

here's my dually, I use it as a file server.

Specs;
2x Intel Xeon 2.4ghz 512kb 533Mhz processors
Asus PU-DL Motherboard, 4 PCI-X and 2 PCI slots, 1Gig ethernet using PCI-X line (handy) 1Gig Ethernet using PCI line (handy? not really....)
2x Kingston 512MB ECC Reg. in dual channel.
2x Silverstone ST650ZF Powersupplies (quad V12 powerlines)
4x Supermicro 8port Sata controllercards
atm 6 WD Caviar SE 320GB hd's for storage
all installed in the Cenbro SR 103 case

Althow not ready, i put it in use to focus on my MCSE study

2006_0310Image00004.JPG

A total of 9!!! 120mm pretty silent fans are installed.
2006_0310Image00005.JPG

2006_0310Image00006.JPG

2006_0310Image00007.JPG

2006_0310Image00008.JPG

2006_0310Image00010.JPG

2006_0310Image00011.JPG

2006_0310Image00012.JPG

that aluminium plate is 3mm thick, make some extra coolness for those HD's
2006_0310Image00014.JPG

Hey all its been a while .... here for an Update
Pics:

IMG_0395_small.JPG

IMG_0396_small.JPG

IMG_0397_small.JPG

IMG_0398_small.JPG

IMG_0402_small.JPG

IMG_0403_small.JPG

IMG_0404_small.JPG

IMG_0405_small.JPG

IMG_0406_small.JPG

Links:

http://images.necrogami.be/desktop 20060402.jpg Desktop Screenshot
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=83606 CPU-Z Valid Spec

Spec:

Motherboard: Giga-Byte GA-2CEWH
Processor: Dual AMD Opteron 246
Ram: 2x1gb Corsair XMS ECC REG PC3200 DDR
Hard Drive: Seagate 300GB SATA2 16mb Cache
Videocards: 2x XFX 6800XT 256mb GDDR3
Optical Drive: Asus DVD-+RW/Ram Drive
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2100B
PSU: AeroCool ZeroDBA 620W Modular
Heatsinks: Titan Vanessa L Type 25mm Heatpipe 120MM Aluminum

necrogami said:
Hey all its been a while .... here for an Update
Pics:

Links:

http://images.necrogami.be/desktop 20060402.jpg Desktop Screenshot
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=83606 CPU-Z Valid Spec

Spec:

Motherboard: Giga-Byte GA-2CEWH
Processor: Dual AMD Opteron 240
Ram: 2x1gb Corsair XMS ECC REG PC3200 DDR
Hard Drive: Seagate 300GB SATA2 16mb Cache
Videocards: 2x XFX 6800XT 256mb GDDR3
Optical Drive: Asus DVD-+RW/Ram Drive
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2100B
PSU: AeroCool ZeroDBA 620W Modular
Heatsinks: Titan Vanessa L Type 25mm Heatpipe 120MM Aluminum

Those heatsinks are crazy dude. I went to the website and saw how they attach. It doesn't even look like they should be able to stay on with just a post sticking onto the motherboard. Vericool.

edit: Um, I typed Attack instead of Attach.

phoderpants said:
Those heatsinks are crazy dude. I went to the website and saw how they attach.
edit: Um, I typed Attack instead of Attach.
Next on Fox, "When Heatsinks Attack". :D

movax said:
Next on Fox, "When Heatsinks Attack". :D

Well the next step for me is liquid cooling the case is extremely quiet now

To Come:
Liquid cooling
Powder Coating
Side Panel Mods
Eventually Full Case Mods

This is my first dually rig.... Right now its a vent, small file server and does some video encoding.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Spec:
2x PIII 667 256K Slot One
1 gig PC133 SDRAM ECC/Registered
5x hotswap 18.2gig SCSI 2 in raid1 / 3 in raid 5
3x 250watt hotswap redundant PSU
Debian etch

Back