Plasma for PC

How is the input delay?

OP i'm not sure if you saw it, but the plasma input lag thread has some updates, results for the Samsung D550 are included. Note that a laptop was used for comparison which adds 10-16ms to the actual results, which would explain the number posted by Orta in that thread. Here's the original thread the tester posted, notice that he did not take into account that using a laptop skews the results, and that windows Aero apparently skews it a bit more. Maybe it isn't as low as you wanted but seems decent so far.

I wonder if the VGA input accepts 1920x1080 and how much the results would vary if so, it may even be a whole frame faster.

You've explored the topic well so far, and we are all learning something here, but have you tried posting at the AVS forum yet? I'm thinking it may fill in a couple more pieces of the puzzle for you, maybe start a new thread there, in addition to posting your thoughts in that input lag thread. I'm more than willing to bump your topic to try and stir some discussion...

SJet, Thanks for the comparison!

I do have a thread on AVS,
and a post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21201820#post21201820

The Samsung vs the S30, you'll notice it uses the same laptop both times. So the difference is true, but not the total.

So if I get any, it will be the panasonic. The 2010 results comparing Samsung to Panasonic on a "CRT" were similar - samsung is significantly slower.

Thanks, SJet.

SJet, Thanks for the comparison!

I do have a thread on AVS,
and a post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21201820#post21201820

The Samsung vs the S30, you'll notice it uses the same laptop both times. So the difference is true, but not the total.

So if I get any, it will be the panasonic. The 2010 results comparing Samsung to Panasonic on a "CRT" were similar - samsung is significantly slower.

Thanks, SJet.
NP,

Looks like the S30 won you over.

If the ST30 price would drop enough then your choice would be even easier, better phosphur performance + IQ than the S30 supposedly.

What does this mean?? 900 lines for motion picture resolution?
Taken from amazon:

S30.png

Last edited:
Nah, the ST30 does poorly with motion.

NP,

Looks like the S30 won you over.

If the ST30 price would drop enough then your choice would be even easier, better phosphur performance + IQ than the S30 supposedly.

Last edited:
Unreal. The S30 is on sale @ BB for BF... $600!
ME FIRST, OUT OF THE WAY SCUM BAGS!

I wonder if I can get a 1 week loan from someone. :(

Taken from amazon:

http://www.havocgaming.com/S30.png
I def need brushing up on the subject but with my limited knowledge it looks like an average result for a 1080P plasma, and perhaps above average when compared to most LCD's. That number is subtracted from the vertical 1080. Someone knowledgeable enough can hopefully correct/clarify.

Hello, my most knowledgeable Samsung owners. ;)

I have one question about the PN51D550, if you will please help me.

How much input delay does it have, in "game" mode? ... 2 frames average (16.6ms)? More? Less?
I just saw this post at AVS and figured i would clarify.

1 frame = 16ms and 2 frames = 32ms etc etc.

Nah, the ST30 does poorly with motion.
I'm a bit surprised, Panasonic is usually pretty consistent in scaling panel quality + performance along with price. I thought i saw an opinion the other day "suggesting" the opposite but that was only one person and i may not have grasped what i was reading.

Unreal. The S30 is on sale @ BB for BF... $600!
ME FIRST, OUT OF THE WAY SCUM BAGS!

I wonder if I can get a 1 week loan from someone. :(
That price makes any decision a whole lot easier. Just the headaches of both borrowing and dealing with Black Friday in general. Maybe some other less popular BF sales will carry the TV for a similar price. Just be careful with Sears because they have a 15% restocking fee.

Last edited:
Taken from amazon:

S30.png

When a picture starts moving you lose 'resolution' on bad TVs its a test that plasmas brag about cause older LCDs used to drop to very low observed resolution. Basically its a way to brag that plasmas have better motion than LCDs.

For gaming (Panasonic) Plasmas provide a better experience than most LCD tv's (in the same price range) and as long as one follows a few step can escape image retention and eventual burn:
Have transparent HUD or change their position, and after gaming wash out the screen with static noise for about 30minutes. Also do not over do it in the first 200 hours. And keep image settings to low-normal (NOT dynamic).
Plasmas provide better image quality, deep blacks, proper viewing angles, and are free of motion blur which plagues LCD tvs. Have real 900 vertical lines instead of 300 of LCD's in game mode, and a lag of 16-30 ms depending on the model - ie: 42C3 has only 16ms. On the contrary LG plasmas usually have a high lag. Though the 50PV350 found at a bargain price seems to cope well.

That's really too bad, because they have some nice CRT-like performance properties.

For gaming (Panasonic) Plasmas provide a better experience than most LCD tv's (in the same price range) and as long as one follows a few step can escape image retention and eventual burn:
Have transparent HUD or change their position, and after gaming wash out the screen with static noise for about 30minutes. Also do not over do it in the first 200 hours. And keep image settings to low-normal (NOT dynamic).
Plasmas provide better image quality, deep blacks, proper viewing angles, and are free of motion blur which plagues LCD tvs. Have real 900 vertical lines instead of 300 of LCD's in game mode, and a lag of 16-30 ms depending on the model - ie: 42C3 has only 16ms. On the contrary LG plasmas usually have a high lag. Though the 50PV350 found at a bargain price seems to cope well.

It's a shame my Pioneer plasma from 2007 doesnt have any IR issues with gaming (even after 4 hour sessions with a static non-transparent HUD) and yet here we are in 2011 and the problem seems to occur on all current models.

Last I heard Panasonic had acquired the Kuro tech from Pioneer but I guess it hasn't been fully implemented yet.

IMHO the S30 is not acceptable for PC gaming.

Picture quality alone is what convinces me.

It's a shame my Pioneer plasma from 2007 doesnt have any IR issues with gaming (even after 4 hour sessions with a static non-transparent HUD) and yet here we are in 2011 and the problem seems to occur on all current models.

Last I heard Panasonic had acquired the Kuro tech from Pioneer but I guess it hasn't been fully implemented yet.
I had a Pioneer plasma from 2004, and never noticed any IR. I used it as a desktop and for gaming lol. Didn't even know what IR/Burn-in was back then.

Quickly noticed it on my 2009 Samsung though...

Kuro tech is being implemented by Sharp, in $6k+ LED tv's...

IMHO the S30 is not acceptable for PC gaming.

Picture quality alone is what convinces me.
Care to elaborate Inu? Sounds like you have some user-experience with it. I'm sure the OP would like some details since his mind is nearly made up at this point.

I'm pretty curious as well.

TIA

I have been uesing and 42in pany s1 for 2 years now as my pc monitor and tv and I have no burn in and get a litle bit of ir that goes away veavy fast once I flip to tv or watch a movie. I don't think I could ever go back to a lcd the ghosting bugged the hell out of me. I just wish they made smaller ones then 42in

Back