Playstation 4 refuses to stream Netflix Super HD but PS3 does?

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
So my problem is that for some unknown reason my new PS4 refuses to stream Super HD via Netflix.

My PS3 however streams Super HD without even more than 4-6 seconds of buffering. Both systems are connected via Ethernet so wireless is not a factor. Both Ethernet cables are short runs so there is no degrading signal issue. My Internet speed is 84 down and 35 up as well almost 99 percent of the time. Time of day does not seem to effect the PS3 at all either in terms of streaming Super HD.

Its just an odd problem and I can't seem to find many that have it if any at all. Does anyone here who owns a PS4 and uses it for Netflix streaming have this problem?

I also tested it out on my Windows 8.1 PC and it streams up to HD but refuses Super HD unless I force it but then it takes about 2 minutes to buffer the video in cache before it plays.

I've also tried cycling my router (I have FiOS so no modem to speak off , the router handles a direct Ethernet connection from the ONT about 20 feet away).

I'm seeming to have the same problem. My connection speeds are not as high as yours. However I noticed on my ps4 with netflix that it would take well past opening credits for it to Finnally get to top quality, but then at some points during, the picture will drop down a peg or 2 for half a scene. PS3 seems to be fine, and to be honest I don't think I noticed this problem on my ps4 at launch. Some time during the holiday break I thought I was having network issues. This may be a widespread software issue, hence me googling it and finding this post.

Have you had any luck troubleshooting this?

It's probably that app. It seems like whenever there's a Netflix app for a new platform the first few revisions are 1/2 broken.

PS4 needs a few updates to compete with the 6 years of updates the PS3 has received.

PS4 needs a few updates to compete with the 6 years of updates the PS3 has received.

Its a weird issue I mean fundamentally it shouldn't be one as its a matter of bandwidth but I doubt Netflix will do much about it right now.

Dumped Netflix, you guys think that they will fix it but nothing says they will. After all they screwed over people on the PC just because they were paid off. maybe Netflix was paid off by MS this time instead of Sony.

I'm seeming to have the same problem. My connection speeds are not as high as yours. However I noticed on my ps4 with netflix that it would take well past opening credits for it to Finnally get to top quality, but then at some points during, the picture will drop down a peg or 2 for half a scene. PS3 seems to be fine, and to be honest I don't think I noticed this problem on my ps4 at launch. Some time during the holiday break I thought I was having network issues. This may be a widespread software issue, hence me googling it and finding this post.

Have you had any luck troubleshooting this?

I've got it working once in SuperHD and then never again. Its isolated to Netflix as I can stream Vudu at max which is like something up to 9-10Mbps through an entire movie without a single problem. I can stream Amazon Prime in 1080p instantly without any problem and I can stream EpixHD without any issues.

Something odd is that my SuperHD , when it worked once , was when I used Wifi. When I went back to Ethernet it would only go to 720p then bump to 1080p then bump to 240p. Its without question a glitch and/or bug but I don't think Netflix is aware of it because we (people in this sub forum for instance) are a minority and I haven't seen it on the forums over there.

I've also noticed that my Xbox One won't stream SuperHD either. Yet my PS3 does all of it flawlessly without hiccups.

I know i should be shot for necroing, but ive just noticed that their is no super hd movies on my ps4, whilst it wasnt that long ago that i last saw super hd movies on my ps3.

I dont know if this is a netflix ps4 app problem or what netflix told me on the phone today.

They said that previously hd movies were actually streamed at 720p and if your tv could do 1080p then it was upscaled to 1080p probably by the ps3, super hd movies on the other hand were streamed at 1080p and not upscaled, so I was told on the phone.

Now they have just went back to using HD next to their movies so i was told, some content will be streamed at 720p and upscaled to 1080 or actually streamed at 1080p if the content was filmed in 1080p it all depended on the content and your internet bandwidth, Thats what I got told on the phone by netflix, but am not so sure, I was positive that on my ps3 hd movies would still stream at 1080p if you brought up the netflix info but super hd movies still streamed at 1080p but were much clearer.

I cant recall how long ago I saw super hd next to a movie on the ps3 as I normally use my apple tv for netflix, so I cant say if super hd movies are still available on the ps3 ? or if they are now all marked HD just like on the ps4.

Ive had my ps4 boxed up for months due to my buddies not having them and me not having space for both playstations to be setup at the same time and it was only today that I decided to fuck em and box up the ps3 and start using my ps4 which I got last xmas. I boxed it up on 17th january since I couldnt multiplaya with my buds and i decided to check out super hd content on the ps4 today not long after I set it up but when i went looking for some their was absolutly none to be found, everything was just marked as HD, bandwidth is not a problem as I have 65mbit and get the full bandwidth 24/7 so their should be no problem their and I am using gigE ethernet with cat6 cable instead of ps4 wireless.

Am on the 2 screens + HD package, the 4 screen + HD and UHD package I think wouldnt make a difference since I am 4k less :(

So the question remains, does the ps3 still get super hd movies or has all content been renamed to just HD regardless if its 720p - 1080p and has anyone ever seen a super HD movie on the ps4 netflix app ?

Once again sorry for the necro but this is bugging me, if the ps3 is still getting superhd movies? Then why the fuck isnt the netflix app on the ps4 able to do so ?

Anyone got any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for any help.

Anyone got any ideas about no super hd movies on the ps4 and is their still super hd movies on netflix on the ps3 ?

Back