hondaboy

n00b
Ok my system
Epox 8k7a
XP 2400+ running at 15*145
Evga 6800nu
Soundblaster Live X-gamer 5.1
Windows XP

I just upgraded from a ti4200 after I was getting 29 fps with my system at 640x480 low detail in doom 3. My new 6800 won't go any higher than 35 fps at 640x480 low!!!! It will run 1600x1200 high at 34.2. Running the ultra quality is a slide show. All resolutions from 640x480 to 1600x1200 low to high are all within +/- 1 fps of 35. What is wrong. I've reinstalled d3. Tried a couple different driver versions. Changed just about every setting in my bios i could think of. Re-installed my sound card drivers (Sblive gamer 5.1) and even tried removing the card. No different. Installed the newest via 4 in 1 drivers. No different. Re-installed the newest agp drivers. No different. Used detonator destroyer software also. Checked and I'm running at agp 4x. Checked the control panel and I'm not using dual display. AA and AF are off (or application controled). Everything that I can think of has been reset to default settings. What else can I try? I just hate to spend almost $300 and can only muster 35 fps at 640x480 low. I know my processor isn't that fast, but I've seen a ton of ppl getting much better scores with slower processors. PLEASE HELP!

Absolutely. With that 145 FSB, you're both memory bandwidth limited, and cpu limited. That's where to start.

Sounds like Vsync. If it were a CPU limitation I don't think 640 would be the exact same as 1600.

do u have dual monitors? if so, that is a known problem w/ doom3 and you need to fix the problem (i dont know exactly how to fix it as i dont have dual monitors)

Vsync is off. Double checked. No dual monitor setup. I even checked in the display control panel and checked advanced options and made sure it says single display (don't remember exact wording cause I'm at work now). CPU limited to 35 fps at 640x480 Low??? Running at 2.175 Ghz???? Sigh...... You've got to be kidding me. I know I've seen people getting better fps with a slower processor. Anything else I could try??? thanks

hondaboy said:
Ok my system
Epox 8k7a
XP 2400+ running at 15*145
Evga 6800nu
Soundblaster Live X-gamer 5.1
Windows XP

I just upgraded from a ti4200 after I was getting 29 fps with my system at 640x480 low detail in doom 3. My new 6800 won't go any higher than 35 fps at 640x480 low!!!! It will run 1600x1200 high at 34.2. Running the ultra quality is a slide show. All resolutions from 640x480 to 1600x1200 low to high are all within +/- 1 fps of 35. What is wrong. I've reinstalled d3. Tried a couple different driver versions. Changed just about every setting in my bios i could think of. Re-installed my sound card drivers (Sblive gamer 5.1) and even tried removing the card. No different. Installed the newest via 4 in 1 drivers. No different. Re-installed the newest agp drivers. No different. Used detonator destroyer software also. Checked and I'm running at agp 4x. Checked the control panel and I'm not using dual display. AA and AF are off (or application controled). Everything that I can think of has been reset to default settings. What else can I try? I just hate to spend almost $300 and can only muster 35 fps at 640x480 low. I know my processor isn't that fast, but I've seen a ton of ppl getting much better scores with slower processors. PLEASE HELP!

try the below
1) use medium quality - this runs best with 128mb cards (high for 256mb cards, ultra for 512mb cards)
2) ensure vsync is disabled
3) if your card is overclocked try it at stock speeds

See specs below....

At Ultra quality and 1600x1200 I run a constant 35fps (60fps in smaller areas) in Doom 3 with vsync on but no fsaa and no af. Look at the various tweak guides for Doom 3. When the quality level goes up the system will set your af to 8x. This can be disabled with a console command. Check the guides then tweak the game and try again. You should be able to do at least what I am able to do IF your system (os included) is setup correctly.

tranCendenZ said:
try the below
1) use medium quality - this runs best with 128mb cards (high for 256mb cards, ultra for 512mb cards)
2) ensure vsync is disabled
3) if your card is overclocked try it at stock speeds

Changed vsync from application controlled to off in the display panel. It is off in Doom 3 also. Switched card back to stock speeds. Ran at 640x480 medium quality. Still 35.3 fps.

Crazy Yoda said:
See specs below....

At Ultra quality and 1600x1200 I run a constant 35fps (60fps in smaller areas) in Doom 3 with vsync on but no fsaa and no af. Look at the various tweak guides for Doom 3. When the quality level goes up the system will set your af to 8x. This can be disabled with a console command. Check the guides then tweak the game and try again. You should be able to do at least what I am able to do IF your system (os included) is setup correctly.

What are your timedemo scores at 640x480??? I agree, there must be something setup incorrectly with my system to only get 35fps.

You have a very similar machine to me (well cpu anyway) and my frame rates are much better. Try reinstalling drivers etc as it is definately not you just being cpu limited.

if all else fails reinstall and update all drivers and firmware

There's a configuration command you can see if it's set to 35 in DoomConfig.cfg

It's
Code:
seta r_displayRefresh "XX"
where the "XX" = whatever you want the refresh rate to be. Doom 3 is capped at 60fps still however.

You can try it and see if it helps. If it's not in your DoomConfig.cfg, then you can add it to autoexec.cfg (make the file if you don't have it) and it will be executed when you start the game.

i noticed u said it's running at agp 4x, would that have anything to do with it?
regardless, you should be getting better fps

Well, I shutdown zone alarm and unplugged my cable modem (Motorola sb4200 usb) and I'm up to 48 fps at 640x480 low. A lot better than 35, I'm gonna do some more testing and find out if it is the modem or zone alarm. Don't have time right now, on lunch break. I will check a few other things tonight. I don't know if I'm inline with where I should be, but I'll check some more.

Back