Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

I just picked up this game after word that it was supposed to be good. I havn't bought a game for my DS in a while so I figured I would give it a shot. I messed around with blue and red way back in the day, but never owned my own copy of the game. I'm starting off with Diamond and was wondering what some good tips might be. I'm trying to figure out a good way to get a solid lineup without browsing all over the internet reading stats. I just want to sit down and play, but also don't want to waste endless amounts of money on pokeballs catching everything and checking stats. I started with piplup which proved to be the right choice for the first rock gym, but I'm just wondering where to go from here so I don't fall too far behind as the game progresses. Some tips on picking which pokemon to catch would be great.

I thought that was the whole damn point of Pokemon games?
Well the money is kind of hard to come by in the beginning to be catching worthless pokemon. I can only hold 6 in a team and was just looking to build a solid team to start off with.

You don't really have to worry about stats unless you care about going online to beat other players. Otherwise, if you just pay attention to what pokemon are weak/strong against, you'll be fine.

Also, I don't think you really need a full lineup to get through the regular game. Just pick a couple of critters you like and aren't exactly the same and work on them.

Yeah with most Pokemon games, I only concentrate training my starting Pokemon. The wild Pokemons you find in the beginning will become useless once you get near the end of the game.

I was thinking of picking this game up for me and the bf (since he's been going nuts about the Diamond / Pearl game release)... I haven't played a Pokemon game since Game Boy Color. Is this a good choice for the DS right now? Is the multiplayer worthwhile?

I was thinking of picking this game up for me and the bf (since he's been going nuts about the Diamond / Pearl game release)... I haven't played a Pokemon game since Game Boy Color. Is this a good choice for the DS right now? Is the multiplayer worthwhile?

i'd say so.. pretty hassle-free to either play wi-fi with neighbors and playing online ain't that hard either. plus, you can trade with anyone over the GTS (global trade system), so anyone from across the nation, in japan, etc. So if you're nostalgic for your old team back on the GBC.. you could bring em in if you wanted to.

it's a pretty fun game, and i've racked up way more hours in my DS lite that i recently got compared to the psp that's collecting dust..

to the OP, just get a balanced team, unless you're spec'ing out to have an elite team for online play. oh and catch a ponyta early on and use it along side as besides chimchar(the fire starter) and it, all other fire pokemon seem to be rather scarce..

I bought the game with my girlfriend. Currently the issue is she doesn't play as much as I and you have to progress through the game to unlock the online functionality.

Back