Poor peformance with 6800Gt

it could be that i have on 6x fsaa in the game and 8 taa in the cp.... and play in 100 or more player servers...

i only have the demo to, so i dont know if the poor performance is because of the demo, does the full game run better?

no, but ive heard other ppl here on the forums have already formatted, and it didnt do anything for them, problem it seems is with via, and intel chipsets from what ive heard. Heck strategy has a amd 64 3200+ and he gets the same problems i do.

I've been watching this for a day or so hoping somebody comes up with something. I'm having the same problem. My Doom 3 performance increased a bit over my 9800 Pro, but it just went from 1024x768 choppy to 1024x768 smooth. Also, in Halo I can't even raise the res one notch above 1024x768 which I was using before. System in the sig., thought more reports might help.

um, my agp is stuck at 4x..... How do i set it to 8x cause i tired in the cp, but nothing happened.... 8x support is on....im lost here.... i just got 11555 in 3dmark03 at 600/614...
I saw people with lower overclocks get way better results... somthing is wrong here...

I was going to say, check the PSU but to be honest - I am using the 200w Achme PSU that came with my shuttle SN41G2 Im using corsair xms platinum ram @ 6-3-3-2.5 and running my athlon XP @ 200Mhz FSB (3200+)

In regards to my mobo... I have a Dell and they make their own modified mobos. (I got it for free 6-9 months ago) So they don't really update bios or drivers often. I think it is a modified Intel 850. Since it looks like I don't have a sig: P4 3.06 533 FSB, 1024 1066 RDRAM, PNY 6800 GT, Audigy ZS, and a wimpy Dell power supply.

I've been getting poor performance also. I previously had a 9700 pro it ran pretty good for its day. However, when I got the leadtek 6800 gt there was a performance boost but i felt it was lacking the spunk it had. I ran a pcpitstop test and my gt only got a 132 score....MY 9700 had a 170....A buddy of mine ran the same card and he got a 292...I am thinking it is a motherboard prob....My buddy I think had a Asus board but not sure...

MSI K8T Neo (Via 4.51v)
Athlon 64 3200+
1 gig of ram

p.s. if MSI reads this by any chance please update your freaking drivers.

To all of you having problems with farcry... I can explain why. FarCry makes every system grind to a halt. I hope crytek comes out with a patch that offers siginfigantly better CPU efficiency. I know PEs and GTs are excellent cards, but if going to 4x AA isnt dropping your frame rates, theres another issue at hand. Getting this game to run at it's best is no longer a video bottleneck. It's just rediculous how sluggish Farcry is in it's current state.

Maybe its a bad batch of cards? When Compusa gets some in, Ill probably return mine for another one.

i did some snooping with ,my ccard... ran aquamark 3 and only partial amounts of my video card's memory was there.... that seemed odd..... so i read somewhere i need to install my mobo manufact's agp gart drivers.... i did and my performance has almost tripled...

Rof_lmao said:
i did some snooping with ,my ccard... ran aquamark 3 and only partial amounts of my video card's memory was there.... that seemed odd..... so i read somewhere i need to install my mobo manufact's agp gart drivers.... i did and my performance has almost tripled...
LMAO, sorry just find it funny how many times people said to install the mobo drivers, but glad you got full use of your card now, its so baller I love mine :)..

Rof_lmao said:

Ive installed the VIA 4in1's (I hate VIA), does this chipsit have a gart driver? or is it built in with the 4in1's? Im really thinking of getting an nforce3 board just to get this card working right.

check the reame or the webiste... after you install, you have to re install your card... and see what heppens...

I installed the chipset drivers before I installed the card, I dont think its going to affect anything.

ran aquamark 3 and only partial amounts of my video card's memory was there....

How did you tell?

Strategy said:
Ive installed the VIA 4in1's (I hate VIA), does this chipsit have a gart driver? or is it built in with the 4in1's? Im really thinking of getting an nforce3 board just to get this card working right.
My aopen ak86-l let me install each driver individually, everytime i tried the 4in1 driver it never installed anything.

Im guessing its heat, that can cause alot of nasties, or maybe ur card is just bad. Ur hardware sounds pretty good, I dont think anything in ur rig is too "Slow" to run the games you do. for me, my comp was always restarting, but when i turend of the cache on my cpu, it didnt restart (But ran hella slow) later on i figured out heat was the culprit.

Its not heat though, my temps are fine. Im thinking its a bad card, but comp usa is sold out of them so I cant really take it back and get another one.

I need to know how that guy a couple posts back noticed his ram wasnt all there or something.

Strategy said:
Its not heat though, my temps are fine. Im thinking its a bad card, but comp usa is sold out of them so I cant really take it back and get another one.

I need to know how that guy a couple posts back noticed his ram wasnt all there or something.
Did you try installing the drivers individually? Because I had shitty performance after i tried the 4in1 driver and nothing seemed to work right. Installed each driver individually and it worked like a charm.

DiNkMe said:
Did you try installing the drivers individually? Because I had shitty performance after i tried the 4in1 driver and nothing seemed to work right. Installed each driver individually and it worked like a charm.

Which ones did you install ?

G

Ok Guys I am having the exact same problems... Doom 3 Timedemo at 640x480 will not go above 55fps... I dont think these are bad cards cause so many of us are having the exact same issue. In an effort to help troubleshooting I am going to list everything I have tried, and my exact system

Specs:
Abit AT7-Max2 KT400 Motherboard
Athlon XP 2400+ @ 3200+ speeds 2300mhz
PNY 6800GT
Audigy 2ZS Gamer
1 Gig Kingston PC2700 Memory
160 Gig SATA hard Drive on the HPT374 Controller
1 DVD Drive
1 TDK DVD burner
Watercooled
Antec Truepower 430
Using APIC mode in Bios

Tried:
Multiple VIA 4in1's
Multiple Nvidia Driver currently using 62.20 because they do not lock up Doom3 on exit
Disabled multiple monitors
Re-installed windows same issues.
Multiple Bios Settings...FastWrites disabled/Enabled

Results:
Still same problems... I would be interested to find out if most of the people with this issue are using the KT400 chipset.

G

DiNkMe said:
Sorry about this post I was a lil high earlier and not sure why i thought that either way the 4in1 driver didnt work for me for the USB2 and gigabit lan, but as i look now it doesnt have chipset drivers that are individual, my bad :(

Maybe its this power supply?

So far 3 of us here that are having issues are using the Antec Truepower 430W PSU.

I have an extra one here, ill swap them out and see what happens.

wilson502 said:
just installed updated chipset drivers, see what this does, oh btw does the application accelrator help? My PSU isnt sweating with this new video card, the voltages have stayed exactly the same, my idle temp for my 6800gt is about 58C, and im at ultra speeds.

Dude your cpu and memory bottlenecked. A 2.4 b operates on a 100mhz fsb quad pumped. You sucking an ice cube throught a straw. I would spend the money on a new cpu , memory and mobo Or do I have the intel nomenclature screwed up

Strategy said:
Maybe its this power supply?

So far 3 of us here that are having issues are using the Antec Truepower 430W PSU.

Maybe, but I would think it would cause problems other than low framerates at low settings... I will throw in a 450 Raidmax I have here and see what it does... I will post my results in a few.

G

Strategy said:
New powersupply did nothing.

Same here.... I did a timedemo in quake 3 and got 220 frames per second...so I am really at a loss... its like my system is running at 1.7ghz instead of 2.3 in Doom3...

Strategy said:
New powersupply did nothing.

Strategy noticed we both have PNY 6800GT's maybe a bios issue on the card? Is anyone else using anything other than a PNY an noticing this problem?

G

anyoen got a gig of decent ram (3200 or more) cause im poor now... Wait, does fastwrites damage the performance when its on?

Rof_lmao said:
anyoen got a gig of decent ram (3200 or more) cause im poor now... Wait, does fastwrites damage the performance when its on?

I have noticed no difference when on or off.

G

to me it sounds like the GART driver got corrupted. I know someone mentioned resintalling in on his system fixed it, what about everyone else?

I'd recommend downloading the latest chipset drivers for your mobo, and instead of running it, extract it with winrar or something. then go into device manager, and under the system resources sections, open up the pci to agp bridge controller, and update the driver from there. Point it to the correct folder, that way you know windows is installing it.

If you uninstall video card drivers, and use driver cleaner, alot of time it will uninstall the GART driver as well. Especially when going from ATI to nVidia or vice versa..

other than that, think it's time to try that card in someone else's machine to see if it's a hardware issue..

hmm my video card is sharing a IRQ with my one of my USB devices Ill copy and paste
(PCI) 16 Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
(PCI) 16 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
but there is no !s

Mine was also sharing an IRQ, I disabled whatever was using the same one and it didnt help at all.

Barnaby said:
to me it sounds like the GART driver got corrupted. I know someone mentioned resintalling in on his system fixed it, what about everyone else?

I'd recommend downloading the latest chipset drivers for your mobo, and instead of running it, extract it with winrar or something. then go into device manager, and under the system resources sections, open up the pci to agp bridge controller, and update the driver from there. Point it to the correct folder, that way you know windows is installing it.

If you uninstall video card drivers, and use driver cleaner, alot of time it will uninstall the GART driver as well. Especially when going from ATI to nVidia or vice versa..

other than that, think it's time to try that card in someone else's machine to see if it's a hardware issue..

Reinstalled the 4in1's too many times to count... I may throw it in to P4 system I have... Its just soo wierd.. If I had not seen other people getting higher with the same card and CPU I would have thought it was just CPU limited...

G

Back