Poor peformance with 6800Gt

Well.... Not really... I moved my card to a P4 2.8c system with 1gig of ram. Actually benched 1 -2 frames per second less than my XP @2.3 ghz...Doom 3 at 640x480 Low - 53 fps... on both systems... IT really looks CPU limited but I have no clue why I am not getting what Anand tech cpu article says I should get. On a side note 3dmark 03 scores are right where they are supposed to be 10500...so I don't think that the card is bad... I am about to give up and just enjoy doom 3... BTW I have been using the 65.xx beta drivers and they make no difference...

G

Sorry to bump this, but I just took my card back and got a new one...still having problems, so its gotta be an issue with my mobo or psu Im guessing.

instead of posting a new thread i'll just add to this one since the topic is the same. I've got a pny 6800gt with a p4 3.0ghz and 512 megs of pc3200 ram. I got 8473 on 3dmark 03, i get around 20-30fps @ 1280x1024*extrahigh detail on cod.

Doom3 runs okay at 1280x1024 high quality, ut2k4 runs great . Should my 3dmark score be higher? i haven't o/c anything.

gthompson20 said:
Reinstalled the 4in1's too many times to count... I may throw it in to P4 system I have... Its just soo wierd.. If I had not seen other people getting higher with the same card and CPU I would have thought it was just CPU limited...

G

Right, but have you tried manually reinstalled just the GART driver through the device manager, like I described? It's just good to be sure that part of the equation can be taken out.

But admittently, when I've had problems with the GART driver, I've noticed a more pronounced graphic lag in all my games.. Not necessarily a problem with the framerate, but an unsmoothness in the drawing of the screen..

wilson502 said:
ya it should be higher around 11000 at least. Something is wrong there.
well i ran it again but removed my sblive card, i received an error when it ran the sound tests, so i switched to onboard sound. But now 3dmark2003 doesn't run the sound tests. Could this effect my score? I received 10346 without the sound tests.

i have a64 @2.6ghz 6800gt 1gig ram. all watercooled. and o/c

IF YOU HAVE AA AND AF TURNED ON IN NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL IT WILL OVERRIDE 3DMARK SETTINGS. and will kill your scores

people here posting the 11-13k 3d03 scores did so buy putting everything on application control. and setting image settings to high performance.

of course its not what we play at, but it is nice to see the max your system can do.

also if you are overclocking too far often your cpu and vid card will throttle down at the most/ worst intense moments.

my vid card o/c to 440/1200 and is stable but my 3d03 score drops about 2k - 4k points.

if youve done a clean install and have used the right drivers. then its time to start experimenting with random settings until you find best ones for your board.

also some people have reported that with the 62.xx drivers that many of there random performance lags were fixed.

my system:

athlon64, gf 6800 gt (leadtek), 1 gig ram (corsair) ... nothing overclocked
drivers: 65.62 beta

before the 6800 i have a gf 5900xt (leadtek)

with the gf 5900xt i can't play far cry at highest settings ... i have to toggle the lighting and shadows to medium (1280x1024) to be able to play it "smoothly" most of the time ... but at indoor levels (e.g. level 2 in the boot) i have to go out and toggle shadows to min or i have only 10 fps at certain situations

now i have the 6800 gt and i can play fc (1.1) with highest settings and at 16x12 (!!) at everytime very smoothly ... the frames are always, indoor and outdoor, between 30-60 (demo avg: 49 fps, with AF 8x only 35 fps)
in the game i have AA and AF disabled, because i can't realize any differences in gameplay or in screenshots i have made and compared ... maybe anyone here can me show or explain me the differences with AF 8x ... (i'am not interested in AA ... )

but the main reason to buy the gt is doom3 (i know i'am crazy ... but nevermind) and i can play d3 at 1600x1200 with high quality (NoAA, 8x AF) with 56 fps in timedemo1 (2nd run) ... at playing i get never any lags ... the only thing is i have to enable vsync and get then a loss of 16 fps :mad: ... but again: no lags in gameplay ...
thats all what i want with this card and so i'am happy :) :D :cool:

after reading this thread i tried 3dmark03: 10500 ... also the "same" as you all .... but in real gaming i've got a real performce jump (FC and D3) ...

the only thing is that in UT04 i get no real perfomce jump ... this was playable with the 5900xt (16x12, all highest) very smooth too

conclusion: maybe all your cards and system are ok and you only need the application which uses all the features of an 6800 ?? and the only thing is you have to disable the filters and wait until nvidia has improved the AF perfomce .... ???

tell me if i'am wrong ... i'am new here and don't have all the background knowledge about benchmarking of you all ...

For my system see below. I reinstalled Win XP a few days before I put my PNY GF6800 GT into the system. My os is really tweaked up to allow for the fastest os that I can get (geared to gaming) and my board bios is set up the same way.

In CoD I can run at 1600x1200 with everything maxed out and at "high quality" in the driver tab with fsaa set to 4x and af set to 16x. With vsync off I get between 90 and 185 fps on a lan server and around 70 to 140 fps online. About the same numbers ring true when I play Jedi Outcast at the same settings.

Doom 3 is set to Ultra Quality with no fsaa and no af and tweaked up according to the doom 3 guide. This allows for me to get between 35 and 60 fps with a constant rate of about 35 fps (benchmarked this) and a low of about 22fps in some areas with multiple light sources. On high quality it never goes below 35 fps at 1600x1200.

With the drivers set to defaults (including D3d image quality) and no overclocking I can pull in the 3d mrak score you see below. As with anything proper setup is key. If it runs poor then my best guess is that the os is buggy before the card is buggy. I know I will never see a rate of 60fps all the time in doom due to my cpu but with some work the GT can be made to run on slower systems for Doom 3 and really run fast on CoD, JK2 and Painkiller.

Also when I swiched to the 65.62 drivers I got a nice performance boost and image quality is excellent. Link to driver below.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=847

EDIT:

Now flashed my GT to an Ultra (stock nVidia bios) and a now running at a constant rate of 45 fps in ultra mode on Doom 3.

if you're getting the same FPS that you had with a lesser card.... you either have VSYNC ON which is capping your FPS, or you're CPU limited.

It seems most of the people having problems have VIA boards.... go figure!! LOL
Thats why I've stuck with Intel mobos. I hated the one via board I had in the past. DAMN 4-in-1's!! They've come a long way, but still can be screwy sometimes. - Try updating BIOS's, reinstalling OS, and use all the latest WHQL'd drivers!

Also, make sure you have your molex power connecters connected. B/c if they're not, it can make the card run at a slower Mhz!!

Silent1 said:
instead of posting a new thread i'll just add to this one since the topic is the same. I've got a pny 6800gt with a p4 3.0ghz and 512 megs of pc3200 ram. I got 8473 on 3dmark 03, i get around 20-30fps @ 1280x1024*extrahigh detail on cod.

Doom3 runs okay at 1280x1024 high quality, ut2k4 runs great . Should my 3dmark score be higher? i haven't o/c anything.

this should def. be higher. did you move from ATI to the 6800gt? i had to reformat and do a fresh xp install. i just didn't like the migration from ATI to nvidia (even though i 'uninstalled' the drivers. apparently others have this problem. my agp was showing 0x in the nvidia properties screen. after a fresh xp install w newest 61.77 drivers, 3dmarks2k3 went from 9000 to 11050 at same 6800gt core speed (only oced to 370 :D )

wilson502 said:
show me a pic of this in the device manager, i cant find GART driver anywhere.

it's under the system devices section in device manager, and will be labeled something like agp to pci bridge, or cpu to agp controller.. I have a NF2 rig, so it might be different than yours.

Back