Portable, cheap, sleek 14" laptop for development.

PsichoDM

Limp Gawd
I realize that portable, sleek, cheap is something that can never be said in one sentence when talking about laptops, but I'm hoping you guys might have actually run into one before and would love to share that knowledge with me.

I basically need a light and portable notebook with pleasant keyboard and great looking screen to code on when on the go. Battery life should be at least 4+ hours, the more the better, it should be light (so it's easy to carry around in my messenger), the screen should have preferably a decent resolution (I realize options are slim at 14") and it should cost under 1000 bucks. Performance doesn't quite matter, I won't be doing anything too graphically intensive. The worst thing I"ll probably ever run will be a flash game or a XNA app.

I know ASUS supposedly has a couple of notebooks that might fit the description, but their site is awful and doesn't really allow to see the big picture of what they're offering.

Thanks!!

Try searching Amazon for the Asus Thin-and-Light line. It fits a fair amount of your criteria and comes in a number of models.

How does one navigate the world of various UL80 models? It seems like there's a gazillion of them out there. Which one is "the best"(tm)?

Also, why 1366 x 768? Is it pointless to try to find a 14" with higher resolution?

Some 14"s can do 1600x900 if custom configured, but that will probably put them over the $1k mark

I have a UL80VT and its down right awesome. Battery life is just fantastic when trying to conserve it, and has the power to do things like AutoCAD 2011 when I need to it.

Lenovo Thinkpad T410? The screen isn't that great though, but it has probably THE best laptop keyboard on the market. L412 is another option and I believe offers a glossy screen as an option.

I'm keeping an eye out for a friend with more or less the same requirements. He is a law student and uses it for notes, papers, research on the web, and watching TV/Movies. What do you guys think of those CULV processors? If he is running Word, OneNote, a bunch of Firefox tabs, and iTunes, is it gonna slow down?

I'm keeping an eye out for a friend with more or less the same requirements. He is a law student and uses it for notes, papers, research on the web, and watching TV/Movies. What do you guys think of those CULV processors? If he is running Word, OneNote, a bunch of Firefox tabs, and iTunes, is it gonna slow down?

hell no.

not even HD flash will slow it down

i use my SU7300 with a 105m Nvidia card to show high bitrate mkv blu-ray rips all the time.

the only thing it is at all slow with is gaming....

i love the SU7300 and i am sure the CULV i3 or i5s are even better than the CLUV C2D based....

I get 6+ hrs of battery life and it is thin, no noise and low heat

Back