Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
QUOTE~~
Front.jpg

HDDSuspension3.jpg
HDDSuspension4.jpg

lol i did that but used fishing line and didn't have the hardive there lol fishing wire looks neither :p

(sry im noob at quoting other peoples things)

You have strings olding your hdd? WTF?

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say they got the idea from the Silent PC Review forums. With the strings holding the hard drive, the hard drive is not touching the computer case itself. Therefore there will be no noisy vibrations from where the case and hard drive meet and you get a near silent PC. :)

Best thing to use in a situation like that is bungee cords / elastic bands. They're resilient, eliminate vibrations, and are proven to work (see Antec P150/Solo).

Rubber bands or strings, however, can snap over time. Use at your own risk. :p

Actually, whenever Speedfan bothers reporting my CPU's fan speed, I also get 1.35 million RPM.

And no, suspending hard drives isn't entirely an original idea from SPCR. I know the SPCR people do suspend their hard drives, but I wanted to move mine in front of a fan, and to open up the lower bay for clear exhaust. (yes, that entire lower section is exhaust. Have to modify the front panel with some snips to let air through better). I don't really care about noise (especially now... the thing's open air), and the WD2500KS is pretty quiet anyways.

@MzL: Use the quote button at the bottom right corner of each post. Remember to delete any pictures they may have used, unless you need one to prove a point. I personally find it annoying to scroll through 20 odd pictures. >.>

cool idea, i dont even have the money to water cool one system =P. let alone that many (rofl, im too lazy to count.)

Can we get pics of the Rad setup?

Did you just put it in front of the window AC?

What kinda pump(s) is in there?

got bored...had a box...found some duct tape...and some random PC parts and this is my "ghetto mod" :D
904636785_8599d98881.jpg

904636775_a041d40a32.jpg

904636761_c4ec10ea6e.jpg

have more pics at home..will post a pic of the post and cpu-z

specs are pretty lame
old crappy biostar socket 754 mobo
socket 754 AMD64 3300+
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
250gig WD IDE hd
some 400w PSU
3 random colored 90mm fans

best part is the harddrive is laying underneath the mobo(the mobo is being lifted about 2 inches off the bottom with duct tape suspension and some cardboard strips...you can see it sorta in the one pic. and i have 2 case fans creating a cyclone effect and one 1 on the bottom cooling the harddrive. keeps it pretty cool in there

got bored...had a box...found some duct tape...and some random PC parts and this is my "ghetto mod" :D
904636785_8599d98881.jpg

904636775_a041d40a32.jpg

904636761_c4ec10ea6e.jpg

have more pics at home..will post a pic of the post and cpu-z

This blurryness of your pics adds to the "ghetto-ness" of your setup.

Nice job.

Can we get pics of the Rad setup?

Did you just put it in front of the window AC?

What kinda pump(s) is in there?

The rad was two heater cores being exhuasted by a 120mm fan blowing out a dryer vent to outside.
177672712-M.jpg

177672789-M.jpg

I initially just had the rad on the floor drawing in ambient air, but I ended up with it in front of the AC since it was over 30c in that room with 20+ GHz running 24/7.

The pump was an Eheim 1260 and was submerged in the 5 gallon Home Depot bucket I used as a res.

The whole thing is gone now, ran it for over a year like that, but it's home became the nursery.

It caused a lot of questions to be asked when I had a window AC unit running for 18 straight months ...in Canada. :D

To add to my ghetto laptop and waterblock way back in this thread

Ghetto 8800 style GFX cooler for my Geforce 4 MX440 PCI. Fan is the extra that Asus sends with their A8N32 for the wierdass chipset cooler, a heatsink from a Pentium 1 with MMX, duct tape well ducting system, coat hanger retention bracket with the lid to a water jug for extra tension.

Ghetto gaming headset. (recycled the USB audio chip from a logitech 250 headset)

Yes the images have to be semi blurry and yes there is bits of ductape stuck on my carpet along with the stains and other things

Hey guys, first time poster long time fan. I saw this thread and had to post about a small project i'm working on. I got the idea from a swiss modder on another forum. The project is a 12 volt pop/beer can cooler. The parts compose of an 80mm fan pulled from a an old scrapped 250 watt PSU, aluminum from a 2006 Radio Shack battery tin (yes, i used to be a shack slave), arctic silver thermal paste left over from the installation of my 4600+ AMD X2 processor, and a few vintage pop cans that i stole from a homeless guy..... ...kidding...found'em under my bed. The idea is to create a circular heatsink around a aluminum cylinder to draw heat away from the pop can and ventillate it with the 80mm case fan. Sorry I don't have any pics up, just waiting on the paste to dry and set nicely. :)

Well here's my ultra glide multifunction mouse mat/note pad (A4 paper and electricians tape)

DSC00263.jpg

And here is my psu salvaged extreme flow fan assisting my graphics card.

DSC00264.jpg

And this is my secret weapon its a super futuristic, highly durable polymer with a super non conductive molecular structure which adheres to almost any surface thanks to its hyper reactive cellular makeup which allows for super strong bonds. Its Blu tack.

DSC00265.jpg

i know this is for case mods but i couldn't resist sharing in my ghetto-ness..

ghetto flight stick

the idea was a floor based joystick (a la ww2 planes)..

floor_stick.JPG

suffice it to say, the cheap plastic joystick couldn't withstand the extra force from the long flight control..

i now have a saitek X45 i am going to try and mod into something similar..

only slightly more ghetto was my attempt at a force beedback trackball.. (by combining a rumble pad and mouse).

mouse1.JPG

hahaha the flightstick is awesome, and ghetto. 10 foodstamps

lmfao. Damn it, should have taken pictures of the mod I did to my friend's system. Took a power supply and duct taped it to the top of his case since his case only supported mATX PSUs and we, being asian, didn't want to put the money out to buy one. But one free accessory I use for gaming that I found was this (only use for these stupid pre-class registration paper mails):

2 years and it's still here. this mouse has eroded this thing to the point where I can read the papers inside this mail now (now that I look at it, I can see through 2 pages), lol.

And here's what my computer looks like right now:

that pink stuff is some foam i jacked from an intel trashcan for comp parts :p

Not much else to show really...
hub wired
179363327-M-1.jpg

and the reservoir with pump submerged
179363394-M.jpg

I put the 6 machines in to start, with hopes of adding more later, but it never happened. The 2 on top stayed air cooled. The big issue was hard drive and board temps. Lack of airflow in that cabinet and the combined heat of everything was hard on old parts. The doors had to stay open and I had to run a fan in front to keep it happy. I'd recommend an open rack to anyone else, just be careful to insulate/isolate any metal.

I built 8 headless AMD crunchers out of leftovers, and bought the small obsolete drives and PCI vid cards from a surplus guy for about $20. I monitored everything from my desktop with TightVNC. The biggest kick in the junk was buying the water blocks and that big Eheim. That loop was almost 20' long (boards were plumbed in parallel using plumbers manifolds) and the Eheim worked flawlessly. Priming the loop was a challenge though.

Shot with 3250 at 2007-08-02

i made this temporary case out of lego, because im modding my other one. im still to finish my lego case i still need to put a top on it ( hope i got enough lego)

and paper is the best mouse pad :p

Well, I had to give my case up for a better rig, and who would pay for another case for such a POS computer? :D

Time to bust out my old gun case :D

DSC02119.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

DSC02120.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

But wait! Time for an upgrade! Some fans and a neon light!
ComputerinaSuitcase062.jpg

ComputerinaSuitcase061.jpg

Ready to hit the road!

Just made myself a laptop stand for when I'm using an external keyboard/mouse & a secondary monitor;

_IGP0824.jpg

_IGP0826.jpg

_IGP0828.jpg

the hair on the wood thingie makes it really ghetto.
would it be a computer related mod i would give it 5 foodstamps.

Do the pubes act as arrows to let you know if the water is coming out hot or cold? :p

My wife laughed too hard at that.

Back