Status
Not open for further replies.
breaking in my HD580s with my newly noob built alien dac
alien_dac.jpg

hd580 pic linked because i forgot to resize

this alien dac was a pain and a half
but just the first chip with about 100 tiny pins

I think I'm done on the headphones for now
I'm looking to build a PIMETA with tread next.
Then I'm thinking of going for a PPA or something in that class with a monica dac for my bedside rig.
This is some fun stuff!

breaking in my HD580s with my newly noob built alien dac
alien_dac.jpg

hd580 pic linked because i forgot to resize

this alien dac was a pain and a half
but just the first chip with about 100 tiny pins

I think I'm done on the headphones for now
I'm looking to build a PIMETA with tread next.
Then I'm thinking of going for a PPA or something in that class with a monica dac for my bedside rig.
This is some fun stuff!

How about putting your foot in the tube world? Check out the Millet Hybrid Max that's being developed now. =]

Yesterdays project:

IMG_0606.jpg

(Dynalo Revision C board + dual tread PSU)

Inards:

IMG_0587.jpg

One from last week:

IMG_0514.jpg

(PPA2 + STEPS)

Now if you will excuse me I have a M3 + Q11 to finish. :D

Got a nice toy last night. =T It's burning in right now, and will be for the next few days.

w84580441.jpg

Shopping for a DAC now.

Well, after a long time of using my standard ipod headphones here at school...I figured i would upgrade. I didnt want to spend too much, and I didnt want something open. Yet I wanted something that wasnt cheap, these have been very nice so far (about a week old)

camera 001.jpg

camera 002.jpg

camera 003.jpg

camera 005.jpg

love em.

Picked up these icemat siberias from compusa closing sale. good sound and I needed a mic too so it worked out. Wish I had 200$ but 35$ sounded much nicer. My sony mdvr500's were heavy and much too bassy sometimes for some games. Use sony for music now and icemat on computer.

headphoneholderdh3.jpg

still using the shure e500PTH's ive had here for a while in Afghanistan, they're sturdy suckers. I'd post a pic, but the internet (naturally) sucks here. never thought a high end set of earphones would survive a 350lb car bomb detonating off the hood of my truck, but they sure as hell did. clear as a bell.

though, after looking through here a little bit, ive decided i must have a headphone amp. maybe when i get home :)

You know Mister X, if that amp should happen to fall into a box and travel to me.. i'd give it a good home ;)

Why not get a new CDP instead?

I hardly use the CDP. I mainly use it for SACD and that's about it. The rest of the time, I use my computer. Either way, I have a Constantine coming my way. Now that I think of it, I really only use the CDP to burn things in on the other side of my room so I can put the phones in my drawer. =T

Portable? MisterX Xp I got is comparable to the Hornet M in terms of sound quality.

I use mine for both my E500s and my Open Darths and my Redwine iMod. The results are OMG!!

Pm MisterX for the hookup.

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

Got some used HD555's off e-bay. My current signal path is:

flac -> foobar2k kernel streaming -> onboard AC'97 -> optical SPDIF -> AIWA shelf system (pictured) -> HD555

pic1zm2.jpg

pic2qx4.jpg

lowgain Go-Vibe V5 w/ AD8620/10 opamps

pict0002pn1.jpg

Using them with HD555 at home, and K81DJ/Koss KSC75 on the road.

Just got these for $135 on Anandtech.

img0759to1.jpg

No one told me how huge they would be.

Anyway, here's my setup:
foobar2000/Rhythmbox -> On board audio -> Onkyo TX SR503 -> Insignia speakers/Audio-Technica ATH-A900.

My MS-2i just came out of surgery...

MS-2i003.jpg

MS-2i006-1.jpg

MS-2i008.jpg

MS-2i010.jpg

Recabled with Starquad, Canare fatty plug, and nylon multifiliment. There is a very slight difference in sound. I detect a hint more detail, but it is minor. I think if I were to A-B these with a stock pair, I would have a hard time choosing which was which. I did it more for looks, because I had most of the supplies, and just to say I did :p. They came out great though, I couldn't be happier.

As long as the resistance of the wire is less than 10Ohms its perfectly ok... the difference at anything <10ohm is very very very very small

As long as the resistance of the wire is less than 10Ohms its perfectly ok... the difference at anything <10ohm is very very very very small

Precisely why I stuck with Starquad. I wasn't about to put $100+ worth of cable on cans that were $300, and the stock cable was already rather sufficient anyways. I was more or less looking for a more durable, better looking cable at little cost and no negative SQ effect.

My new cans. Sorry about big pics.

ad900006xs4.jpg

ad900007ti5.jpg

ad900008hi9.jpg

ad900010hy8.jpg

ad900011od4.jpg

Sending them out to Viper next week for a recable. Hifive, buddy! /hifive

My new cans. Sorry about big pics.

*snip*

Sending them out to Viper next week for a recable. Hifive, buddy! /hifive

I am looking forward to hearing them... and then doing a bit of surgery :p. Here's to hoping those pads come off easier than the pleather.

Just got these for $135 on Anandtech.

img0759to1.jpg

No one told me how huge they would be.

Anyway, here's my setup:
foobar2000/Rhythmbox -> On board audio -> Onkyo TX SR503 -> Insignia speakers/Audio-Technica ATH-A900.
welcome to the a900 club. yes they are large :p

Hey, I'm new to hardforum. I signed up specifically for this thread!

I'm pretty entry level with my Koss PortaPros and Grado SR80s. My source is an Audigy 2 and an ipod.

I have a few questions. First, is my source really that bad? Is it not worth getting an amp with it, at least for the Grados?

If its fine, what should I look into? The Go-vibe 6 or something similar are within my price-range.

I would also like a cmoy, do you still make them for others Mister X?

Started looking into a closed alternative to my HD650s

Ordered up a set of these last night (Denon AH-D2000)
f_denon_ahd2000.jpg

I also was auditioning a friends Audio Technica W100s last night as a possible purchase but they clamp far too loosely for my head so they slide around too much for my taste. Great sound though.

I also was auditioning a friends Audio Technica W100s last night as a possible purchase but they clamp far too loosely for my head so they slide around too much for my taste. Great sound though.

Elastic band mod ;)

(see pictures of AD900 above)

Do you find your current setup inadequate? If not, why get an amp at all?

Hey, I'm new to hardforum. I signed up specifically for this thread!

I'm pretty entry level with my Koss PortaPros and Grado SR80s. My source is an Audigy 2 and an ipod.

I have a few questions. First, is my source really that bad? Is it not worth getting an amp with it, at least for the Grados?

If its fine, what should I look into? The Go-vibe 6 or something similar are within my price-range.

I would also like a cmoy, do you still make them for others Mister X?

do you have a stereo? like one with a discreet amp that you could hook up a nice cd player to? if you dont how about a friend? thats prolly a good way to test if an amp makes any difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back