Post your "rate my cables" here

It does look very nice, but I don't think its a fair comparison between a job someone is getting PAID to do for a client vs someone who's doing it for enjoyment.

You're not supposed to "compare" your rig with his in the sense of "oh man, mine looks like crap compared to that." I didn't look at it that way at all. I look at it as a shining example of some killer cable management and modding that he has shown us step by step how to do. It's all there for us to learn from, not to feel crappy about. If I had that kind of money, I'd be spending it on my own rig, and I'd be doing the work myself. But not everyone has time to do that. I'd probably have to work so many hours to get that kind of money that I wouldn't have that kind of time anymore! :rolleyes:

We can take what we like and try and implement it ourselves. Some of his mods didn't cost that much to do, and just because someone else paid him for his time doesn't mean all his efforts are suddenly an unfair comparison. It's something fantastic that we can work to emulate if we like it, and scoff at if we don't.

I, for one, am still in awe...

I came so close to buying that case. For what I wanted it was just short of perfection, really. I am a big Antec fan.

mine, needs a bit of work (and a decent camera!)

100_0529.jpg

Nice.

I just rewired mine last night, and dropped my temps from 55C idle to 45C idle all fans on low.... I was shocked.

I will post pics shortly.

Before:

SG1L1340low.jpg

Now:

dtop.jpg

Have some holes drilled, so when I get the rest of my tools and supplies, I can do more.

Last edited:
Auzner, looks good. I should have taken some snapshots of the 16 drive behemoth I built a few years back.

Thats some pretty cool wiring, auzner :D

Semi-temp fileserver setup, lost a couple of drives in this box, so now its demoted to testing box and backups...

DSC_9648.sized.jpg

DSC_9650.sized.jpg

I hate sata cables...

Thats some pretty cool wiring, auzner :D

Semi-temp fileserver setup, lost a couple of drives in this box, so now its demoted to testing box and backups...
*snip*

*snip*
I hate sata cables...

Just imagine if you had IDE's :p

too young? My first computer was an IBM PS/2 Model 30... I've had nightmares about wiring up IDE based (low cost) "servers"

He/She is probably too young. IDE was a step DOWN from SCSI as far as cables went. Try sticking more than 2 HDD's in a PC with IDE cables. :eek:

What about 8 IDE HDDS in a mid tower? I had a dual-processor Pentium 3 computer with 8 IDE HDDS. I had 5 HDDs in the hard drive bays, 2 in the 5.25" bays below the CD drive, and one sitting on top of it. 9 IDE drives in 1 midtower = fail. :eek: I haven't had this comp in years, and unfortunately I don't have any pics of it.

Easily spoiled? ;)

Havent messed around with storage systems using IDE drives for a long while, and I'd preferably keep it that way :D

Easily spoiled? ;)

Havent messed around with storage systems using IDE drives for a long while, and I'd preferably keep it that way :D

Somebody brought me an old file server about a year ago saying they needed new drives as some had failed... 10 IDE drives... Unbelievable rats nest inside. You couldn't even get to most of the Motherboard.

I rebuilt the server with SATA drives and had them pop for a 12 port 3Ware controller. Happy as a clam.

Auzner,

Where did you obtain the SATA power connectors?

Hard drives and motherboards come with adapters. I was able to remove them from the cables and reuse them. I'll make my own thread one of these days outlining all my summer adventures with computers. I wait because the story isn't over yet.

Haha, nasty, did you take any pictures?

I love 3ware cards, but I sure wish I could afford newer cards than the two 9500S-12's I have now..

No pics. My cell I had at the time did not have a camera in it, and I forgot to bring the SLR. Lets just say it was a total disaster. The dust balls lodged into the cables were hard... lol. The Server hosted data in a warehouse, so it got dusty quick. I helped him move it into the main office and setup a link aggregation to the main Cisco switch. He ended up dropping about 1500 for a mostly new machine. Mobo and Ram were held over. I told him to go slap the guy he got it from with a Herring.

image020.jpg

Oh and 3ware and ARECA cards have always been 100% for me. Never had any major problems with them.

fileserver02.jpg

Here's how I did it with the same CM-Stacker chassis. I'm all SATA now though...

It was based on an old cabling project that never took off that wound the rounded cables a bit more tightly. Here's a shot of an early prototype with incorporated power.
0027.jpg

Would have looked nice but SATA pretty much killed this need outright!

That is about as good as it gets.

Replace those rounded cables with standard ribbons... lol.

Are those RAID IDE PCI cards or just standard 4port IDE PCI cards?

They were just plain old IDE controller cards since I was not using RAID at all --just JBOD. I had offsite backup so I wan't worried about drive failure (that and a lot of the data wasn't truly necessary to keep)

My Lian-Li server (sorta server)
S6001336.jpg

S6001337.jpg

Just a little bit of wire management
S6001338.jpg

S6001339.jpg

S6001340.jpg

New GeminII hsf, which pushed me to put the 80mm exhaust on the outside of the case, added a Netextreme (Broadcom BCM5703) gigabit pci-x card and ram because those DHX heatspreader just didnt have enough clearance for my liking (0.5mm clearance)
S6001347.jpg

S6001346.jpg

Back panel veiw...it buldges out just a little bit when the panel is on.
S6001349.jpg

S6001348.jpg

If you ask me, PATA cables were easier to hide completely than SATA cables... SATA cables are generally easier to route, but it's nigh impossible to hide them completely unless you get a few cables w/90 degree connectors and you have a mobo/case in perfect alignment where side-facing mobo connectors lead directly into a cable routing hole... PATA cables were a lot more flexible (pliable actually) and the end connector stuck out a lot less ('specially compared to the straight-ended SATA cables).

disagree completely,try to have 4 pata cables (4 HDD ide) and then tell me that they are better hidden than sata cables.

I'm pretty sure most of my old systems had 4 PATA cables as I usually kept two optical drives and two HDD inside 'em... As I do w/most builds, might've had three cables on some systems when I hooked the two opticals on the same cable, some of the earlier builds also had SCSI optical drives and whatnot but I digress. PATA cables were easy to fold against the drive (almost completely flush), then fold around a drive cage, relatively easy to slip under a mobo tray and then slip out and plug into the connector which was usually right at the board's edge...

'Course you needed long cables and a case that wouldn't impede you from running said cables against flat surfaces... Rounded PATA cables were actually harder to hide completely than the flat ribbon cables, they just looked nicer if you did a shoddy wiring job. SATA cables are easier to run haphazardly from point A from point B but they don't bend nearly as well as PATA cables and like I said, the end plugs can be unwieldy.

Some of the most impressive cable routing jobs I've seen on these boards continue to be the oldest builds too, w/PATA cables and all (with non-modular PSU even).

DSC_7680pp.sized.jpg

E6600, P5W DHD, 8GB ram, 7950GT + HR03, 160GB laptop drive.. aka. spare parts pc for my folks

Didnt really try any fancy cablegami here, and I might bother mounting the harddrive, sometime... :D

It's quiet tho, thats for sure

Please resize those pictures they are so huge.

They were just plain old IDE controller cards since I was not using RAID at all --just JBOD. I had offsite backup so I wan't worried about drive failure (that and a lot of the data wasn't truly necessary to keep)

If I got 4 of those controllers and chucked in to a Pentium 3, and 12 drives installed, it would be a success that I would see all those drives in my bios and windows right?

Please resize those pictures they are so huge.
Please check the FS section for a larger monitor. lol I'm kidding, yes they're huge.

IDE ribbon cables can be managed. You get the old basic grey kind and take a razor and cut slits in them. When it's all cut you stack the slits and tape or zip tie them.
Random google link http://www.velocityreviews.com/guides/How-to-round-your-IDE-FDD-cables.php Sata cables can be rather stiff, but with IDE you don't need right angled ones. Though I'd still take sata over ide.

A 15 minute achievement

16082009102.jpg

16082009103.jpg

16082009104.jpg

16082009108.jpg

16082009106.jpg

Q8200, P31 mb, 2x2GB G.Skill 800,1TB Seagate HDD, Inno3d Gold Edition GTX260, CM extreme power plus 650.

16082009109.jpg

Last edited:
Back