Post your workstation 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Spiko, nice setup!

You mind me asking what kind of desk that is? And what kind of desk shelf units you've got on top of it?

Also, what kind of monitor arm are you using? It almost looks like its build into that shelf unit.

Also like the TV you've got there.

BTW, how do those speaker angles work? Ever tried angling them in a little bit more towards your ears?

Wow Spiko, nice setup!

You mind me asking what kind of desk that is? And what kind of desk shelf units you've got on top of it?

Also, what kind of monitor arm are you using? It almost looks like its build into that shelf unit.

Also like the TV you've got there.

BTW, how do those speaker angles work? Ever tried angling them in a little bit more towards your ears?

Thank, I'm pretty happy with it. :D
the desk as well as the shelf is totally custom. Made by yours truly. There is no monitor arm I mounted it right to my shelf. Speakers sound great to me but I'm not really an audiophile. I used to have them *gasp* under the desk.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Just imagine this baby with two more of those asus 24 inchers for eyefinity. It's coming. ;)

My new office setup. Just got 2 new acer 233hu's. I LOVE the portrait monitor 2048x1156
hawt

photo2r.jpg

SDC10021.jpg

37" Vizio 720p LCD TV
Technics SB-CR77 Floor Speakers (Free from my Uncle )
10" Polk 100W Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V795A Receiver ( needs to be upgraded )
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray Player hooked up via HDMI
Xbox 360 via HDMI
Motorola Cable Box and DVR via Component
my Original Nintendo 64 from '96, it has the Pelican Ram expansion pack that is just as old.. I must be one of the lucky ones to get one that doesn't overheat. The Pelican version was known to overheat and fail. kind of like the RROD on the 360.

PC
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.87GHz
8GB PC1066 G. Skill DDR2 SDRAM
150GB Velociraptor
500GB Caviar Black
400GB Samsung
250GB Maxtor
16x DVD-ROM
18x OptiArc DL DVD Burner
BFG Geforce 9800 GTX @ 775MHz (stock is 675)
Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
22" Samsung 226BW LCD
JVC HA-RX700 Headphones

wow man I love your own designed table. I too have designed my own table from woods brought at home depot.

Might not be "pretty", but it sure looks neater then my desk at the moment :p

I love that fur rug for the feetz! soooooo sooooooft :D

The Desk is very nice too. some great ideas all over! :cool:
Do you have any better pix of the switches and servers/computers on the bottom left?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_q1LLcz64XVc/S-4ICFmUG6I/AAAAAAAAAIs/XO3YXxP3n9I/s720/IMG_0769.JPG

The left is the VM/Server test bed. 4 VM's currently running on Vsphere4.

The right is "Old Trusty" P4 Single core @ 2.8Ghz. I'm building another one, but that thread will come later. That will be my gaming/Show off rig.

Cisco Catalyst Express 500 24 port 10/100 PoE for testing purposes, Unseen is a Cisco ASA5005, which feeds the wireless router.

Monitors are ASUS VH242's. I love them.

Sound is Klipsch VIA a Kenwood Car stereo.

Looks great man!! I love custom desks!

I just realized that I didn't actually post my desk... I'll do that as well....

Thanks for the Props. Its functional, Which I needed more than Aesthics. but still, I would like to make it look prettier. One day.

Here's my workstation.

Ikea Jerker Desk!

I made some modifications (dremel'd holes in the frame for cable management, attached a power strip, installed grommets for cables to go through desktop)

jerker1.jpg

jerker2.jpg

jerker3.jpg

jerker4.jpg

If anybody lives around Tulsa, OK, I'm getting rid of this desk cheap. I know it's highly desired on these forums and I want someone who appreciates it to get it rather than some random craigslist person. I've got extra attachments: 3 swivel shelves, PC holder (shown), and the extra top shelf. (The attachments are in my attic, not shown). I'd post it in the For Sale/Trade but my post count isn't high enough.

By the way, I've been lurking a while: You last visited: 03-02-2006 at 02:10 PM
Wow...

Here's my workstation.

Ikea Jerker Desk!

I made some modifications (dremel'd holes in the frame for cable management, attached a power strip, installed grommets for cables to go through desktop)

If anybody lives around Tulsa, OK, I'm getting rid of this desk cheap. I know it's highly desired on these forums and I want someone who appreciates it to get it rather than some random craigslist person. I've got extra attachments: 3 swivel shelves, PC holder (shown), and the extra top shelf. (The attachments are in my attic, not shown). I'd post it in the For Sale/Trade but my post count isn't high enough.

By the way, I've been lurking a while: You last visited: 03-02-2006 at 02:10 PM
Wow...

Now I wanna try that with my jerker.

I last posted my setup on page 54 of this thread about a month and a half ago when I first got my Galant:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035545475&postcount=1073

In these six weeks, I've made the following changes:

* swapped out the Birch colored desk for a Beech colored one (matches the cabinetry in my office a little better).
* got rid of the mismatching file drawers in favor of two matching Beech Galant units.
* added another extension/table on the far right.
* finally to the Eyefinity active dongle to allow me to use the third 3008wfp - 7680x1600 is fun.
* changed the desk and table lamps . . . twice.
* got a new rug . . . twice.
* am in the process of repainting the walls . . . in order to . . .

* match the HM Embody chair in Mango that is on order (4-6 weeks out they say).

Will repost photos of all above changes once all the dust settles.

* am in the process of repainting the walls . . . in order to . . .

* match the HM Embody chair in Mango that is on order (4-6 weeks out they say).

Don't forget to paint your nails and dye your hair so that they match your Embody chair, too
:p

Don't forget to paint your nails and dye your hair so that they match your Embody chair, too
:p

Smart ass! Orange has always been my favorite color - so it was a no-brainer on the fabric choice for the chair. The painting of the walls is mostly because I'm bored.

Smart ass! Orange has always been my favorite color - so it was a no-brainer on the fabric choice for the chair. The painting of the walls is mostly because I'm bored.

lol. But yeah, it's nice when everything matches. After that, the only thing left will be to make sure all the bezels of your monitors match ;).

But on a more serious note, please be sure to post impressions of the embody chair after using it for a couple of weeks. Sometimes a chair feels comfortable in the store, but after real-world use and putting it through certain situations, you find it's not as comfortable as you initially thought. So I'd really like to know if it's worth it. I know you told me a few stores I could check it out, but I'd be too embarrassed to walk into a little suite just to try a chair and not buy anything...lol.

Now I wanna try that with my jerker.

It's pretty easy, just go slow. I had been thinking about it for a while and one day decided to just do it without any prep work. I free-handed it all and am pleased with the results.

I first drilled with a hole-saw, then dremel'd a rectangular shape out to fit larger cables. After that, I filed the sharp edges a bit so they wouldn't cut my cables. The desk still seems to be sturdy as it always was.

frame-hole.jpg

(Sorry for grainy iPhone pic, I was in a hurry)

One thing I would change is the placement of the holes. I put the bottom (exit) holes below the screws that hold the desktop, so every time I fish a cable through I have to remove one of the screws, pull the cable, then put the screw back in.

I must be one of the few people with an actual rack in my office:

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

I should take better pics tomorrow or Wed. since I've rearranged a few things around here. These were quickies I did for insurance purposes.

BTW: It's a 15U with casters. Each computer is a 4U and it's cable managed in the back now. I used to have separate computers floating around everywhere but it was too much of a hassle so I made a weekend project out of my tax refund to do this.

Oh and it's so much quieter. The front glass door is almost sound proof.

EDIT: It's also surprisingly simply once this is done because I could stick it anywhere with decent ventilation. I connect my monitors and everything else through 15 foot DVI/USB cables and have a USB hub on my desk.

I may sell the cases they used to be in later if anyone's interested in a CM Centurion, a CM Stacker, and an Antec P182 in immaculate condition :)

Last edited:
Here's my college workstation - tearing it all down in a day and a half to go on co-op, figured I'd take a picture of the cramped mess before I do.

collegeworkstation2010.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back