Post your Workstation 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my cable management.

hi, im thinking about building something like this .. i have two questions though

1) how are you holding together the "door/top" down ... i dont see any nails
2) how did you manage to hold together the 2 x 4 that form an L

The parts for my new dream build:
20120814_195335.jpg

20120814_195114.jpg

Monitor: ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite 27" LED HD DVI 2560 x 1440
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green
CPU: Intel Xeon QA8V 2.3GHz
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100
SSD: Corsair Force GS 480GB
HDDs: 14TBs of assorted drives
Memory: Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Formula BF3 Edition
Video Card: EVGA 680 SC SIG2
Mouse: Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
PSU: Corsair 850AX
Case Fans: Corsair Air AF140 Quiet x 2
TV Tuner TBS 6280 DVB-T2 Dual Tuner

Purpose: Gaming and General Workstation

8-core sanybridge - e? or ivy-bridge server sample?

why a so low psu only 850 and not a 1200 or more? is it really reliable?

actually this place is just a bit busy and that would add extra overhead and bandwidth for a forum system already heavy on the pictures :-P

It's not as busy as other sites, Yellow Bullet Forums get drilled daily more than this site at it's peak, and they have that feature.

hi, im thinking about building something like this .. i have two questions though

1) how are you holding together the "door/top" down ... i dont see any nails
2) how did you manage to hold together the 2 x 4 that form an L

The top is held on by 2.5" screws through the back that drops down from the back of the hutch that extends to the back of the desk and fastened there as well. So the front 'could' be picked up, but with the weight of the hutch, it doesn't pull up easily, If I didn't have the hutch, I'd simply use some 90* brackets and straight brackets in the back.

Not the best pic, but you get the idea. If I was going to do it again, I would use a longer piece of plywood to have a bit more to fasten it to the back of the lower desk. But, regardless, it doesn't move around at all. Eventually I plan on putting some nice plywood around the outside of the desk and none of it will be visible.

kGUbh.jpg

I used 3" screws hidden behind the cross-brace. The legs are solid and do not move at all.

UCYOA.jpg

Top view of the leg mounting. Not fancy, but it's rock solid.

WFYpa.jpg

thank you very much, Allisons Dad.

it helps a LOT ... i will further investigate to go down that route !

Only?? That PSU is very stout and very well reviewed. For that system with only one video card, even with all the hard drives, it's a little overkill. But a great choice nonetheless! If he was going for tri-sli I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the 680's don't pull that much power compared to high end cards of just a couple years ago.

thank you very much, Allisons Dad.

it helps a LOT ... i will further investigate to go down that route !

No problem, if I could change one thing, I would put the cross-brace on the inside between the L legs. I will end up moving them there regardless when I put the veneering on it.

I got lots of advice from the PSU thread before making the decision.

My initital choice was a 1200AX, but everyone agreed that even if I SLI the 680s 850W is more than enough.

yeah I was running CF 6900's with PT turned up and them OC'd on a 900W and had room to spare

It's beautiful :eek:

20120814_195335.jpg

20120814_195114.jpg

Ok can we see the build?

i shoulda known i have a lot of pics of her in my desktop slideshow reel but not that one, love the black rimmed glasses

Just one set of speakers will do.

And doesn't that window get annoying?

yes the window do get annoyin, but i have no choice my place is small i cant put it anywhere else lol, i like havin alot of speaker lol plus the back speaker is hook up for PS3

yes the window do get annoyin, but i have no choice my place is small i cant put it anywhere else lol, i like havin alot of speaker lol plus the back speaker is hook up for PS3

i would suggest a monitor hood, had the same problem at work, and just made something cheap out of cardboard, but i have a 27" at work so with only 20cm extra on top it was enough, maybe you will need more

Last edited:
i would suggest a monitor hood, had the same problem at work, and just made something cheap out of cardboard, but i have a 27" at work so with only 20cm extra on top it was enough, maybe you will need more
I would suggest black curtains:cool:

Reworking my setup. I just put up the other monitors and moved in the second desk. Still need to level them all out, do a ton of wire management and a whole lot of cleaning up.

photo.JPG

more details, please. are all the lcds driven by one pc? why two phones? what will be your main use?

more details, please. are all the lcds driven by one pc? why two phones? what will be your main use?

One phone is for my home Asterisk VOIP system. The second is for work and runs off a Cisco ASA that creates a VPN tunnel back to the office. The LCD's are driven by 3 different systems. Left 3 Linux Box, 1 middle Mac and Right 3 Windows Box. I am a "vulnerability researcher" and do a ton of sand boxing. :) I also do some pen testing on the side and like to have room to spread out and watch everything.

I think this setup is worth posting.. It is Hanz Zimmer's actual Workstation.

I think making award winning Movie Soundtracks must pay a LOT.

828026986_cH2iS-X3.jpg

827972341_w3KYt-X3.jpg

No wire management however..

780681289_29GQa-X3.jpg

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE THIS WHOLE POST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back