Power conditioners DO work.

killernoodle

2[H]4U
I have heard a lot of people say that power conditioners dont work worth a damn, but I have evidence that they do.

I have a HK AVR-320 receiver and it has a knack for turning itself off whenever the fridge, AC, or any other high power draw device turns on in the house. I'm talking like every hour or two, the damn thing dies and I have to click it back on. Just a minor annoyance, except if its in the middle of an important movie scene or when it gets to the best part of a song. Also, my subwoofer blew out 2 fuses in a week, and I was getting tired of replacing them.

So I got on ebay and bought a Belkin PF30 power conditioner for about $40 shipped just to see if it would fix the problems.

Not only has the receiver been on continuously for 2 days now, it might be my imagination but it sounds a little bit crisper. The subwoofer is plugged into it as well, and so far it hasn't blown out its fuse yet. If it does, there must be another problem elsewhere, but for now everything is looking great.

I haven't plugged the TV into it yet to see if it cleans up the picture, but it should be next.

With regards to the TV, don't. Or buy it's own conditioner to live on. Otherwise, you're just introducing back the interference and power draw issues you've corrected.

Oh, and for a minute there I thought I was going to find someone saying "yea, it improved my sound quality."

Out of curiosity, how much money did you spend on it?
As funny as it sounds, sometimes its cheaper to just hire and electrian to come in and ploop in a dedicated line from your breaker to your A/V equipment. Especially if you plan on living in the house for a long time. Then you're not current limited (although, this may not be a problem until you start getting equipment with big current draws). Wouldn't hurt to put a power conditioner there though, extra safety.

That's what I had done. A dedicated power line to my computer and A/V stuff. Cost me less then a belkin power conditioner would have, and doesn't make awful clicking noises to boot. ^_^ (I think all labor and parts for under 100$).

Vertigo Acid said:
With regards to the TV, don't. Or buy it's own conditioner to live on. Otherwise, you're just introducing back the interference and power draw issues you've corrected.

Each outlet has its own set of filters, so no, it shouldn't re-introduce the problem.

I don't plan on this being a permanent location for my setup, it has to move to an apartment at school for next semester. I definitely cant get a dedicated line to the outlets there. And getting a dedicated line doesn't really clean up the power, it just isolates some of it from other crap in your house.

And I spent $40 on it shipped, if you read the post you would know that :)

killernoodle said:
And I spent $40 on it shipped, if you read the post you would know that :)
You sure you didn't edit it into your post after I read it? :D

Power conditioners do work but in your case, it's only masking a serious problem.

You house wiring has bad contact resistance issues and what you describe only happens with bad wiring.

Thats what causes fires, by the way.

The receiver didn't only do it at my house, it also did it frequently at my dorm last semester.

killernoodle said:
Each outlet has its own set of filters, so no, it shouldn't re-introduce the problem.
Are you sure? Seen schematics or opened it up? I find this hard to believe for $40

Back