Power supply not enough?

discochan

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks for the help guys. I just upgraded some parts on my computer. The old system specs are in my sig.

I changed the mobo, chip and ram to:

ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK

When I plug in my power supply which is 510W a red light comes on in the Asus board, but when I push the power button nothing happens.

The 12V plug is in, I checked the power button connection on the mobo and I know the power supply is working.

Is my power button broken? Do I not have enough power?

Thanks

34A on the +12V rail? You should have barely enough, but if I recall correctly, that PSU is pretty old. Therefore, it should be replaced. Go for an Antec Earthwatts, Corsair, Silverstone, or PC P&C in the 600W+ flavor.

To test wheather or not its your PSU, unplug all drives and see if it turns on. If possible, try a low end vidcard that doesn't have a separate power plug (bus powered only).

To test whether or not its your power switch, try using the reset switch instead (plug it in where the pwr switch goes). Alternatively, you can use a screwdriver, or something else conductive, to momentarily short the two power leads (hold it there for 1-3 seconds then remove it once the system powers on).

If none of those get the system to power on to POST or give you error beeps, try another PSU.

enginard if I add another 4850 what would be the minimum power supply watt rating you would recommend?

I'd go 650-750W to be safe. A good Corsair or PCP&C in that flavor will do you great.

I agree, but the 750W units tend to be better bang for buck than the alternative 650W units, unless you find a good deal. Either would work. The TX750 and 750 QUADs were goin for around $100.

As it turns out I dont have enough power going through my 4 pin 12v plug. A new power supply is on its way.

Big thanks to all you guys

Back