Pre as modem

freakyhair

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

I was curious to see if anyone here has been using their Pre as a modem for their laptop. From what I can tell, this is not supported, but there are apps like 'My Tether' that will do this. any success failures?

http://palmpre-hacks.com/palm-pre-hacks/how-to-tether-your-palm-pre-as-a-usb-modem/

The reason I ask, is I think I may be getting a Pre, but I need to use PAM in a week. Should I wait until that is over, or should I get it now?

Thanks!

My Tether works about as well as any one of these programs I've ever used.

You're running the risk of Sprint claiming that you're violating your TOS, of course, so take that for what it's worth.

Thanks for the info. I really don't plan on a ton of downloading. just using it in airports, and when I'm traveling for business (some companies don't have guest internet access.) I'm not paying $60/month for the little USB adapter.

it'll work well for that purpose. i've had to use mine a couple of times.

Ya. I have been using my tether. Used it a lot on vacation. 6.8gb last month. No problems. I would never do that every month. But its nice to have fast internet everywhere.

maybe it's just me but its seems overly complicated to set up the tethering on the pre

i have yet to find a clear cut guide on how to do it

MyTether (the paid version) seemed simple enough from what I read, though I haven't tried it personally.

Btw, is there any way Sprint can really tell you're using this? Whenever I see the question asked, people just end up suggesting that they could guess it based on total bandwith usage but surely they can dig a lil' deeper than that into their own network no? FWIW I've used my cheap SE phone as a BT modem w/my netbook on occasion (using a cheap AT&T $10 data plan for dumbphones) and so far I haven't had any issues...

It's not like I'm going around downloading large files thru the connection or anything tho (it's not even 3G so it can be kinda pokey), but it works perfectly fine for casual web browsing on the go. I've definitely never gone near the 5GB bandwith limit that this data plan is said to have...

As a follow up, I have been using mytether, and it seems to work pretty well. Sprints reception seems to be a bit flaky at times, but the thether parts works well. I installed the free version and the pay version, and it wasn't too bad either way. I am happy either way.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Hi All,

I was curious to see if anyone here has been using their Pre as a modem for their laptop. From what I can tell, this is not supported, but there are apps like 'My Tether' that will do this. any success failures?

http://palmpre-hacks.com/palm-pre-hacks/how-to-tether-your-palm-pre-as-a-usb-modem/

The reason I ask, is I think I may be getting a Pre, but I need to use PAM in a week. Should I wait until that is over, or should I get it now?

Thanks!

USE IT AN LOVE IT

I cant find a free version of MyTether can someone post a link or possibly host the donation version? I dont want to donate $15.00 first for something I might not like or use. :(

thing is extremely easy to use and setup, i love it. wifi is the easest to setup that usb install is a little more complicated but not bad. Speeds seem more than reasonable in my area milwaukee.

Back