Pre-Catalyst 11.12 driver problems

lil layzie

Gawd
First, the hardware:
XFX Radeon HD 6970 hooked up via DVI cable to my Asus VH236H monitor. Top DVI connector to be specific.
I also have my Sony HDTV hooked up to my video card via HDMI for duplicating my desktop for movie viewing.

The situation:
I wanted to revert back to the old Catalyst 11.11 drivers because I noticed when exiting some of my games on Steam with the Cat 11.12 drivers, it hangs for a bit before completely exiting the program.

This is what happened when I uninstalled the Cat 11.12 drivers and installed the 11.11 drivers. Same thing happened when I tried to install 11.10 drivers. Note the pictures are taken while I'm running on the 11.11 and 11.10 drivers. Everything is peachy on the 11.12's.

At first I thought my video card was dying. I couldn't see anything so I had to use the win key + p to duplicate the screen onto my HDTV and I was able to see my desktop. Uninstalled the 11.11 drivers and reinstalled 11.12 drivers. Everything is back to normal.

I tried to revert back to the 11.11 and even 11.10 drivers and the same problem still occurs. The method I used to uninstall the 11.12 drivers is by using the uninstaller in the control panel. I even tried driver cleaner and CCleaner to no avail.

Does anyone know what can be causing this? I can't use any older drivers, but I can install the 11.12 drivers without a hitch. My card is not overclocked so I don't know what can be causing this.

Nope, saw the same thing the other day when I was screwing around with the drivers. You have to get everything cleaned out and start over with a fresh driver install - its some new bug that cropped up with the newer driver uninstall package. Its not made any easier by the fact that the display is screwed up and impossible to read - I ended up typing high contrast into the start search bar just to change the mode so I could navigate. Probably could do it from safe mode as well.

IT happened to me as well and i had to revert my OS to a previous state (day before) to fix it :(

loads...does everything for you including reboots, uninstalls, reg clean, etc...

and it doesnt hose ur desktop res...

it uses the PE environment, so nothing is loaded up when it runs to interfere..

and it doesnt delete the install packages, which drives me crazy with DS because i forget to redownload them...

Last edited:
yeah, ive noticed DS tends to break shit its not supposed to touch...

you do need to keep on top of releases though, as the author updates based on what ati does to its installers...

Last edited:
Back