Problem mounting TRUE on 1366 (Gigabyte X58A-UD3R)...

Jodiuh

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello all,

So while mounting the TRUE w/ the rev b kit, I noticed the backplate doesn't quite rise up very much. The 2 bars that screw into the backplate have a very small 2 mm space between chokes and maybe 3 mm for the little silver capacitors. Now because of the backplate already on the board, the mount's backplate for the TRUE has to press up against it. So instead of having all 4 open screw holes coming through the board level, they're uneven.

I should have taken a picture, but basically, if you looked at the board @ eye level w/ the PCB, you would see 1 screw hole from the backplate coming closer to the board than the other which had more of a gap. Likewise for the others. I figured it was screwed on really tight and definitely did not move like even the 775 w/ the washer would if moved forcefully. This was on there SOLID.

CPU is brand new 930, unlapped BTW. I put a small dot of MX-3 up top and started pluggin' away.

Cooling:
lapped TRUE (rev 2 mount) and an A1926 @ 1450RPM in a Stacker 810 w/ 3 SFLEX E's up front, 2 in the middle, and 2 AF12's in the rear. Loads were done w/ Linx/all. Ambient was around 26~27.

4 pics: stock @ idle and load and oc @ idle and load

Stock Idle
stockidle26cambient.jpg

Stock Load
stockload26cambient.jpg

Overclocked Idle
38Ghzidle27cambient.jpg

Overclocked Load
38Ghzload27cambient.jpg

Well, after removing the cooler, I found this...

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3716.JPG

I've got the stock retail box HSF on there now using the same TIM installation method of the dot. I guess if I pull that off and the TIM's spread even, then the chip's ok and it's definitely the mount.

If that is indeed the case, my next thought was to order the rev a 1366 mount that's shaped like the old 775 mount in a cross. My other thought was screw it and order something else.

But before I do, I was thinking that I could grab a couple nylon washers and put them in between the board and the TRUE's backplate to allow for the extra 1~2mm space of the socket's backplate. However, this would push the 2 brackets that go up on top of the board down and then they would have direct contact w/ the metal capacitors, perhaps even crushing them.

The screws are actually fairly long, so I might be able to also put down a couple of the nylon washers to give some extra clearance for the chokes/capacitors. Provided the screws aren't too short (or I could just grab some longer ones @ Home Depot), this should work...in my head anyway. :D

Anyway, thanks for reading this far and let me know what you think! :cool:

Also, does the stock cooler suck this bad?! :eek:

TMPIN1 ~ Motherboard (Is this the NB?)
stockcoolerdefaultsettingsturbohton.jpg

washer between the mount and heatsink block (you know where the dimple is on the mount that's supposed to keep the heatsink from moving, just slap one right there), usually does the trick.

Like this?

IMG_3543.jpg

It was necessary on the 775 mount, but the new rev 2 1366 version clamps down w/ way more force than even the washer mod could muster. It's extremely tight. I bet I could hold it by the heatsink and Wii it around for a bit wo/ moving a mm.

Like this?

It was necessary on the 775 mount, but the new rev 2 1366 version clamps down w/ way more force than even the washer mod could muster. It's extremely tight. I bet I could hold it by the heatsink and Wii it around for a bit wo/ moving a mm.

lol yeah, I jus' got the rev. B kit myself, and it's solid w/o the washer. I didn't even have to tighten it down all the way like I did on the rev. B kit on my old 775 board, best $10 I've spent on this system so far, haha. I did end up putting a strip of electrical tape on the bridge that sits over the power regulation caps though, thing sits 1mm or less above 'em :eek:

Did you check the contact? How bout the bottom backplate where the 4 screw holes come into contact w/ the board? Mine were all uneven due to the socket's backplate pushing it away from the board. I really wish that thing wasn't there like the 775 boards. :(

Anyway, here's what the stock cooler mount looks like.

2010-09-39.jpg

2010-09-40.jpg

I didn't put even TIM on there, but you can see how it's making flatter contact than the TRUE. It's definitely the TRUE's mount screwing things up. Still, I'm thinking a plus instead of the dot would be the way to go.

Really? I mean, I see goop blobs, but it didn't even spread over the edges of the chip. I'm tempted to go back to my plastic baggie method.

Still prefer plastic baggie method myself... But doesnt look like way too much, just a bit more than necessary. Sounds like you are on to it though. If we could get a picture of the actual mounting that would probably be ideal to comment.

Yeah, I should have taken the pic, just got lazy I guess. I still have the mount kit, maybe I can ghetto something up so you guys can get a better idea of the problem.

Back