problem with acrylic "frost" effect when using Weld-On

jreffy

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this.

In the Worklog section I have Project: Savage going. In my last updated I posted pictures that might help add to what my problem is.

I'm making a custom piece for my water-cooling system. Basically a thin acrylic enclosure with a logo sandwiched between two pieces of acrylic. I want the water to flow around it. As far as the flow and construction, everything went fine, no leaks, works great. However, I want to be able to have that frost effect on the logo for defined lines and such.

The problem I'm encountering is that everything looks fine before I start using the Weld-on #4 to seal the thing up. When I use the weld-on, the solvent fills the gaps (through capillary action) made by my etching and in essence "erases" any etching I did. I need a way to maintain this "frost" effect after using the weld-on. Anyone have a solution for me? I'm stumped.

After looking at the worklog, the only thing I can come up with right off the bat is using pressure to keep the logo in place (hence the front and back need to butt up tight to the logo so it won't move).

Otherwise, I'd redo the logo (eek) and make it on a thicker piece of acrylic. Then rout the inside of the front and back face so the logo sits in place when you sandwich it all together.

It's a lot of work ya but the piece is small so it shouldn't be too hard to replicate :D

Qtip42 said:
After looking at the worklog, the only thing I can come up with right off the bat is using pressure to keep the logo in place (hence the front and back need to butt up tight to the logo so it won't move).

Otherwise, I'd redo the logo (eek) and make it on a thicker piece of acrylic. Then rout the inside of the front and back face so the logo sits in place when you sandwich it all together.

It's a lot of work ya but the piece is small so it shouldn't be too hard to replicate :D

I had originally planned on it staying in place with simple pressure but I didn't want to leave it up to chance. Remaking it won't be too difficult now that I've done it once. That solution would result with the "cleanest" looking logo, I'm just not confident about it keeping the water out.

The routing solution would work, it would just be time consuming and difficult (limited routing experience, tools). I think perhaps if i made the framing pieces thinner than the center logo that would ensure a tight fit, we'll see.

Back