Project: Black Oil

Dark Sun

n00b
86922440mk1.jpg

Welcome to Project: Black Oil

A very warm welcome.

I thought I would add my work log to the forum.

I've been away from the PC scene for about 4 years due to other commitments. Now I've decided to build a new water cooled PC for gaming and to get in touch with my creative side. I've been blown away by some of the other mods out there.

My aspiration is to produce a sleek, sophisticated, and high quality design. I guess my inspiration is to move away from bright UV tubes and dazzling lights, which I have used in projects in the past. I will be using three core colours - black, metallic silver, and a splash of blue - in its design. While some may think, "oh, another Lian Li mod", I hope I can show you that this mod will be unique, stylish, and deserve your appraisal through fine workmanship.

I chose the Lian Li PC-A05B mainly because its much smaller and compact than other cases. It fits snugly on its glass stand and doesn't dominate the room too much. Fortunately, the case shares the same length and depth as its larger brothers, so there is a good amount of room to work with if your creative and use the space efficiently. If you wanted to install multiple hard drives combined with an SLI/Crossfire GPU configuration, and extensive water cooling, then this case isn't for you. However, if like me, you just want a simple rig with one HD and a graphics card then its more than suitable.

a05022kp2.jpg

Here is the stock case from the Lian Li website

This project will be ongoing for as long as it takes. I won't be rushing it for a quick result. I will update this thread each time I make some significant additions/mods.

In the mean time, any tips or advice would be warmly received!

Thanks for looking!

Part 1: Case Fabrication

Summary:

Internal powder coating in matt black - completed
Custom window - completed
2X120 radiator cut in top panel - completed
HD cage removed - completed
Chassis cable sleeved - completed
Lian Li Drive Bay Bezel fitted - completed

pc001rc6.jpg

The case stripped down to its bare bones

pc002fr6.jpg

The stock pci slots have gone and I will install some custom ones instead

pc003kt4.jpg

I'm thinking about installing some custom switches

pc005iv9.jpg

All the internals are powder coated in matt black and the HD cage was removed. It's not really necessary for one HD and it restricts the airflow

pc006tr0.jpg

Rear powder coated black and fan mesh removed

pc007do4.jpg

2X120mm fan cut

pc004ur9.jpg

A nice little window mod. I wanted to keep the drive bays hidden when looking from the side

Sweet! Another A05B watercooling mod! I have a worklog for this case, too. Your paint job is way better though... I did mine myself (sigh). subbed

I've seen many Chilld PC's custom power coated cases. A top notch job.

I received the HD enclosure today.

cimg0016gq4.jpg

Box is nothing special really. However, the box isn't going in the case ; )

cimg0010bf8.jpg

The HD enclosure is made of high quality aluminium. It feels sturdy and well built.

cimg0014cu6.jpg

Shiny copper on the inside!

cimg0006cc8.jpg

Nothing too whacky or cheesy.

Just a little update this evening. I'm still waiting for some significant items to arrive.

I got some more heatshrink and braid in the post so I set to work sleeving the rest of the fans.

img0051wo6.jpg

A shoe box filled with random bits and pieces

img0049ip0.jpg

My little work area on my desk

img0052nc4.jpg

My trusty heat gun

cimg0002fd6.jpg

A nice result. Yate's slim fans are quality.

cimg0006sh9.jpg

Some noiseblocker fans. They are nice but I'm not sure if I will use them. The Yate's slim fans take up less room and might suit my theme better.

That's it for now. I hope I have a new update at the end of the week.

Hi everyone,

As promised I have a little update.

Without further ado, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

cimg0006vx8.jpg

I think a few people might recognise these ;) . These are even more beautiful in real life.

cimg0011ft9.jpg

Wow. I love the look of these grills. Again these feel very high quality.

cimg0016hd7.jpg

cimg00072kn7.jpg

Ok next up are the vandal switches. These will replace the stock PWR/RESET buttons.
I just need to sort out the exposed wires with some heatshrink.

cimg0008al3.jpg

The PWR is the white ring and RESET is the white dot.

cimg0010mx9.jpg

These are the replacement PCI slots.

cimg0009ug6.jpg

100X better than the stock PCI stocks.

cimg0018uf6.jpg

Here is a sneak peak of the Bitspower rad grill. All will be revealed a little later. ;)

cimg0021yx7.jpg

Some fan extension cables to ensure a tidy interior. Dangly and exposed wires are a big no-no.

cimg0027vy2.jpg

These cables will help to simplify the wiring.

cimg0025kg4.jpg

Replacement rear thumb screws. They look a bit more classy for a black case IMO.
*Pic is a bit blurry. I'm a real novice with photos*.

cimg0029hb9.jpg

Here are all the screws! These will replace all the stock chassis, HD, PCI screws etc.
I feel it's the little touches that will add a great deal to the overall look.

Ok. So there you have it for the moment. I will do some work over the weekend and show all the new bits installed.

Just another update. I've been working all evening eating curry and drinking a few well earned beers.

cimg0032tt9.jpg

Overall view of how things are progressing.

cimg0035ek1.jpg

The new case feet fitted.

cimg0037do3.jpg

Vented PCI slots and grill installed. Fan wire routed behind mobo panel.

cimg0038zj8.jpg

Radgrill plated fitted. I will attach the mesh/rad/fans shortly.

cimg0041qf3.jpg

View of the rear case fan

Next update will probably involve fitting the PWR/RESET switches.

Thanks everyone.

Just a very small update today.

I got the res. I like the white acrylic which will provide a nice contrast to the black coolant.

cimg0004bv6.jpg

View of the res. It will be part of a res/pump combo.

cimg0003bc7.jpg

The screw cap.

cimg0009qn9.jpg

I've screwed in some Bitspower barbs for now. Although I may use some right angle fittings later on.

cimg0006kk1.jpg

I will light the res with 2 X white LEDs. This should look pretty cool. Just need one more LED.

cimg0007sb0.jpg

The LEDs fit into 5mm holes in the res.

That's it for now. I should have another update at the end of the week.

Another little update today.

I've installed the rad fans and mesh.

cimg0011zz7.jpg

cimg0003ml1.jpg

cimg0010ly0.jpg

Just an overall view of how things are progressing. I've also done some more wiring including some fan extension cables to ensure I can hide the cables around the chassis.

That's it for now.

I fitted the rad. It's a Stealth GT with 2X120 Yate 20mm fans.

cimg0013pg2.jpg

It blocks the top PCI slot but that's not a problem for me. There is plenty of room for the motherboard too. It's quite stealthy and looking from the side with the window panel on its well concealed.

Wow, a fantastic selection of parts. Themed cases are always nice to look at, even months after completing the build.

Keep up the great work.

Just a small update.

I have fitted the switches. Both fit perfectly and look very nice indeed.

cimg0020fx6.jpg

God I want an A05B... seems so perfect for water cooling with it's arrangement...

Super clean btw, I love clean mods...

The switches and the color choices (black/white) very nice.

Two more things on the topic of front LEDs (with lightguides):
1) zeroth order correction might be taping (or painting the lightguides black (or silver?) on the sides, such that light does not bleed
2) round lights (instead of rectangular) would also be an improvement over oval ones (imo, of course), but either round or rectangular need to be flush with the surface for best looks. All round ones I've seen though have this bell-like shape to them, so I'm not sure if making them flush with the surface is exactly achievable ... Even those Vandal switches would have looked nicer if there were a way to make them flush with the surface.

Dark Sun, as a follow-up to my previous post -- could you please include a picture of the entire front panel with the new switches installed?

I can't wait to jack off to this thing when it's finally done.

Back