Project: Digg (custom case) Finished

should have places to hide cables :p if your show boating it, it might as well be tidy, i mean, its not like your cramped like the batman begins case (which fucking rocks :D) and probably wouldnt be hard to do :)

as always, watching like a hawk :D

We can increase the size of his desk, if necessary. If it's really loud though it might annoy Dan Huard and Daniel Burka, so maybe it could sit in our reception!! (How freaking cool would that be?)

Nah, I know you want this for yourself, but man, it's beautiful! (So sayeth the DIgg folk.)

Well just in case, I prepared a rendition of what I think his desk would look like with a REAL computer on it. None of this macbook nonsense. I chopped this up real quick, I think it's great :D I could always add the "shocker" button as an easter egg so when someone tries to turn it on they get zapped. Would make life at the office amusing

206097062211d971378fd7.jpg

Very nice.

I gotta ask though, why digg? Do you work for them or something?

AppaYipYip said:
Very nice.

I gotta ask though, why digg? Do you work for them or something?

Nope, I work for myself :D Doing cases and tech support locally.

I just do cases for things I enjoy. I enjoy Digg.

LOL now that's just creepy.

I'll pass :D

Edit: those looking for an update, I'm waiting on the VFD (I imagine it shouldn't be more than a few days or so). Till then I'm just putting little things together and solving any wiring issues I might have.

Here's a pic provided by the guy helping me out on the VFD. Waiting on the dc/dc converter to get it running though. The smaller VFD and pack of cigs is for comparison. Smoking is bad kids, badddddd.

vfd1.jpg

It seems that everyone who turns out killer casemods seems to use a cigarette package for comparison. ModSquad (II), 6GT9, Defyant, just to name a few. Which leads me to conclude, Smoking = killer case mods

Or maybe not.

so if we rank case mods based on cig brands.....mine won't ever be as cool...I smoke ultra lights :(

I hate to bump this without any pictures but I wanted to let everyone know what's going on. I'm in wait mode. The VFD should be finished up and overnighted to me pretty soon (crosses fingers) and then I get back into work mode.

It's still getting some tweaking (to get the # of diggs in the box) and other stuff but here's the VFD (not my pic).

512x32.jpg

That... Is so... Sexy...

Please, make a VFD scroller kit like (edit) THE (/edit) MDVA. I have money that I wish to send to you :rolleyes:

*edit* sigh, I got distracted by Qtip's awesome mod and the thought of an MDF tree. :p

*seriously though, I want one... VFD AND the MDF tree :)*

Arcygenical said:
That... Is so... Sexy...

Please, make a VFD scroller kit like your MDVA. I have money that I wish to send to you :rolleyes:
That's mashie....this is Qtip42. Not the same person. ;)

Even though I don't have the VFD yet, I keep getting teased with pictures of it :D ...and a video

512x32-3.jpg

That might just be the sexyest thing I'we seen since my girlfriend dumped me :p love it !

the only thing that could make it better is if the headline said "BUSH IMPEACHED".

*ducks*

Yashu said:
the only thing that could make it better is if the headline said "BUSH IMPEACHED".

*ducks*

no, the only thing that could make it better is if it gave happy endings :p :cool: :D

That VFD looks awesome. I have no idea how in the world you would get that to work. Is it super hard? Is it done with programming? All I can find on them is how they light up and nothing on how you get something like internet info onto it. :p

ThirtySixBelow said:
That VFD looks awesome. I have no idea how in the world you would get that to work. Is it super hard? Is it done with programming? All I can find on them is how they light up and nothing on how you get something like internet info onto it. :p
Well, the way Qtip did it, was by sending it to a professional VFD coder who is designing the interface and software for him. There are, however, some DIY solutions out there.

I just consulted the right forums and begged the right people :D It's nice to find people dedicated to LCDs as I am to modding. They know their stuff and are incredibly helpful to boot.

and your application was probably more fun then the usual stuff they get to do... who wouldn't like working on the digg case?

Qtip42 said:
Alrighty, VFD is on it's way.
Lucky b****** ;)
hey i made a Digg RSS screen for my tiny 256x128 Noritake, i'll post a pic of it in your Studio forum topic.
Also, i don't know what color your case will be, try car tinting foil on your VFD, it looks wicked; when off it's totally black mirror.

coorz said:
Lucky b****** ;)
hey i made a Digg RSS screen for my tiny 256x128 Noritake, i'll post a pic of it in your Studio forum topic.
Also, i don't know what color your case will be, try car tinting foil on your VFD, it looks wicked; when off it's totally black mirror.

I gotta stick with the silver and blue theme. I'm not 100% about the acrylic windows though. I need to get a few test panels after everything is painted so I can see what looks best.

On an unrelated topic after winning the extreme-tech contest with the batman begins case, I'm thinking I'll be throwing that hardware in the Digg case. The only problem is I'm not sure when that hardware get's here (sept?). So while the case might be done in a week or two, I won't have hardware inside it.

The reason I'd rather wait for that hardware is simply that I don't want to waste money on hardware. If I buy hardware now, it won't be worth anything in a few months. Since I have to get new hardware for every case (PCB colors matter people!), it really puts a strain on my wallet.

Funny you mention that because the board being sent from the extremetech contest doesn't have one :D It's ok. I need a blue PCB motherboard anyway.

Also forgot to mention I bought a few things this morning:

-Acer 20" LCD widescreen
-Logitech G15 Keyboard
-Kensington optical trackball (yes I love trackballs leave me alone!)
-DVDRW

Eww trackballs :p

I really like the VFD, and the case is coming along great. I think it is funny that this got posted on digg...

Back