Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
48k?! WOW :eek: :eek: :eek:
That's cheap for 24TB of storage. Really, try pricing that from HP. Their system takes up to 12 750GB drives, that's 9 TB. They cost 15 grand each. Multiply by 3 to get up to 24 TB (well, okay, 2 2/3) and that's $40k. Maybe Dell is cheaper? With that system, you can hypothetically get 10 drives; I could only figure out how to get 8, for a system cost of $10,372. Since you need 4 of those systems (32 drives @ 750GB = 24TB) your cost is $41k. I'm sure someone will find a place that has much, much cheaper storage just to prove a point, but my point remains: for $1.50 a gig, the Thumper is cheap. And that ignores the 16GB of memory and 2x285s in there.
That one is based on the same case concept, there is another one out there and I'm not sure if it's a limited run or what, but it's basically like an 8 stuffed with drives, I believe it was 48 on the front, two on the rear (system drive trays), something like that for a total of 50 drives. I believe it was a little cheaper too, not 100% sure though.
I saw that too, somewhere, but I can't dig it up. It'd be quite the monster. However, 8u cases are anything but manageable. I mean, you could smuggle people in your average 8u case. A bunch of 3u cases with SAS expanders might be a more reasonable way to do things if you need that many drives. The ones linked hold 16 drives, and you could cascade them together. 16TB in 3u isn't terrible density, and you can keep going pretty far with that density.
Anyways, that sun server is indeed impressive, I can't imagine the heat that beast would produce... I might be able to omit the need for a home furnace, just pump air from the computer room! :D Haha.
Indeed. I haven't found figures for power consumption yet, but it's only (only - hah!) got 2 1500W power supplies, and they're for redundancy, not 3000 watts. Where I live, 1 kW costs about $1230 per year to keep running (8760 hours per year * 14 cents per kWh = $1226.4) so it'd be pretty expensive to keep running, even before you factor in the cost of taking 1500W of heat out of the air. Ah well, someday.

That's cheap for 24TB of storage.

It's expensive for us, but for enterprises it's a drop in the bucket for enterprise level service. I remember a company that I worked for in the past who dropped nearly 2 million on a 17tb rack stacked with drives, lol, that 40k looks like a dream in comparison.

I saw that too, somewhere, but I can't dig it up. It'd be quite the monster. However, 8u cases are anything but manageable. I mean, you could smuggle people in your average 8u case. A bunch of 3u cases with SAS expanders might be a more reasonable way to do things if you need that many drives. The ones linked hold 16 drives, and you could cascade them together. 16TB in 3u isn't terrible density, and you can keep going pretty far with that density.

8U is massive, agreed. I don't think thats a viable solution, especially considering that you have the size now to add on top of the power consumption and heat.

The multiple expansion drive units are a good idea, I looked into that, however, the problem is then it becomes technically multiple systems and logistics is a biatch for it at that point.

I think I'm going to stick to my final idea and just replace the drives, perhaps sell them off or dump them in a cheap machine if I have to (a cheap case can hold quite a bit of drives) and use it as a large dump repository for backups and such. Actually to have some sort of backup of a lot of this data would be great ;) lol Perhaps when that super server case drops in price in the future or more compeditive units are introduced, I will take another look at it, by then I should have a pile of extra drives :D

That's cheap for 24TB of storage. Really, try pricing that from HP. Their system takes up to 12 750GB drives, that's 9 TB. They cost 15 grand each. Multiply by 3 to get up to 24 TB (well, okay, 2 2/3) and that's $40k. Maybe Dell is cheaper? With that system, you can hypothetically get 10 drives; I could only figure out how to get 8, for a system cost of $10,372. Since you need 4 of those systems (32 drives @ 750GB = 24TB) your cost is $41k. I'm sure someone will find a place that has much, much cheaper storage just to prove a point, but my point remains: for $1.50 a gig, the Thumper is cheap. And that ignores the 16GB of memory and 2x285s in there.

Well, for 24TB, that isn't terribly bad, but I was just a tad shocked to see that price tag (irregardless of how much it stores). It is a large sum to put down, no matter what. :eek:

If your looking to offload drives, let me know. I am potentially interested in a couple of them if thats something you decide to do.

The multiple expansion drive units are a good idea, I looked into that, however, the problem is then it becomes technically multiple systems and logistics is a biatch for it at that point.

What do you mean? They're in separate chassis, true, but you wouldn't need a separate motherboard in each system. They can be daisy-chained together, so only one HBA is used to control all the disks. See page 86 of the case manual.

What do you mean? They're in separate chassis, true, but you wouldn't need a separate motherboard in each system. They can be daisy-chained together, so only one HBA is used to control all the disks. See page 86 of the case manual.

Thats what I mean :) You have seperate physical boxes. My goal was to contain as much under one roof as possible.

The supermicro solution to the idea looks great for expansion and I love the options they give you, just not idea of how I want it :(

Ockie are you using GPT for partitioning your storage ?
are your system works reliable now ? :)

we are discussing about the same project here would you mind to come and describe your experiences, specially for storage partitioning.

Ockie are you using GPT for partitioning your storage ?
are your system works reliable now ? :)

we are discussing about the same project here would you mind to come and describe your experiences, specially for storage partitioning.

I am just running the individual disks, no raid or any logical arrays. Just a whole lot of disks under my computer :D

Well, it appears Ockie is looking at TB disks.

So is this going to be part 5 (or whatever part it is) of Galaxy 4.0?

Well, it appears Ockie is looking at TB disks.

So is this going to be part 5 (or whatever part it is) of Galaxy 4.0?

Still remains Galaxy 4.0 as the storage and the hardware didn't really increase. In other words, nothing significant changed.

Don't forget to budget for your diesel backup generator for when you blackout the neighborhood!

lol. To be honest, I am looking for those home generator backups, not for galaxy, but just in general as we get crap power here. Always some sort of blackout or brownout.

Ockie, how long does it take for your system to boot up? I ask because my computer with 11 drives takes 5 minutes, I can only think how long your's takes. :(

Ockie, how long does it take for your system to boot up? I ask because my computer with 11 drives takes 5 minutes, I can only think how long your's takes. :(

Huh? I have 12 drives and looking to add 2 more and it doesn't take an unusually long time to boot.

Well with my first generation SATA2 controllers (I have two older generation and two current generation SATA 2 controllers), it's incredibly fast... just like a normal desktop. With the second generation controllers added, it takes quite a time as it checks each drive for each controller, and not at the same time. I don't know about how long in terms of mins it takes, but it does take a lot longer than the first generation cards.

Well with my first generation SATA2 controllers (I have two older generation and two current generation SATA 2 controllers), it's incredibly fast... just like a normal desktop. With the second generation controllers added, it takes quite a time as it checks each drive for each controller, and not at the same time. I don't know about how long in terms of mins it takes, but it does take a lot longer than the first generation cards.

Then this confirms my suspicion on the boot record, of all my drives attached to my motherboard, is on the C drive. Ah well, I can live with it for now as this is not my main machine. Perhaps when I reinstall Windows (or Linux) I will detach all the drives when I install the OS.

Then this confirms my suspicion on the boot record, of all my drives attached to my motherboard, is on the C drive. Ah well, I can live with it for now as this is not my main machine. Perhaps when I reinstall Windows (or Linux) I will detach all the drives when I install the OS.

Or just dont' power down the system like I do :D High electric bills FTW!!

Or just dont' power down the system like I do :D High electric bills FTW!!

Well, that would make for a noisy room :( I tend to want to have a quieter room while I sleep. Some of us don't have their own homes ;)

Well my airconditioner broke agian, sigh. Room must have been over a hundred in there, so I shut down all my systems.

As for the upgrade project, it's on coals right now as I just bought a new car and some upgrades to go along with it and am looking for a home at the moment. Also, hosting a 300 person lanparty up in Lansing, MI (see sig) isn't helping with time constraints either :D

What kind of car did you get ockie?

Starts with an H and is hated by every enviromentalist (or should I say the un-educated ones) :D

carputer?

www.mp3car.com?

Galaxy in the car?

Trust me, that thought has crossed my mind several times..... and I mean several times :) I already have enough displays to satisfy a small town, now I can save my car heater in the winter too! lol

As for the Galaxy project, I'm doing something stupid. More news to come, I don't want to spoil anything for you guys... I am sure you will all like :D This will probably be a slow update, gotta keep it under the wife radar, especially when we're looking for a house :)

Ockie.....what do you have planned? Are we going to see you again after the wife finds out? :p

Ockie.....what do you have planned? Are we going to see you again after the wife finds out? :p

Well if you don't see me in the next couple days, yeah, then don't worry, she probably killed me. lol. Well I'm sure she will after I tell her this afternoon that I bought my new ride some longer shocks, tires, and rims ;) Oh boy...

Heck, I work for an oil company and I hate those....

Hahaha, to each his own :cool:

Anyways, I'm working on some ideas and concepts for you guys, you will see soon on the new thing. I'm still waiting on a guy to call me back for a shipping quote and am still trying to figure out a minute detail... but if I say anything, you guys will know :D

Starts with an H and is hated by every enviromentalist (or should I say the un-educated ones) :D

Please tell me it wasn't the H2. Please please please please tell me you didn't buy a freakin Tahoe with Hummer badges. PLEASE.

As to a new galaxy project: Neat. Lookin forward to it. If you say it's stupid I bet it's super expensive and something well worth drooling over :)

Well if you don't see me in the next couple days, yeah, then don't worry, she probably killed me. lol. Well I'm sure she will after I tell her this afternoon that I bought my new ride some longer shocks, tires, and rims ;) Oh boy...

Why did you do that? You should be saving for part 5 (or whatever part it is at now) for those WD green TB drives. :p

Anyway, do you have to tell her? What she doesn't know doesn't hurt her. :cool:

LOL, Ockie really likes putting his followers in hell for a couple well he thinks things over!!!!
A Hummer, nice bold choice!!! Perfect for a galaxy server/carputer!!

I spoke with him earlier today, he's still alive and his wife is actually supportive of his purchase.

Shit the Hummer will consume more a gas a month then what the new Galaxy will cost.

I wanted one, untill well it consumed gas.

Hey Ockie,

Just finished reading al those pages ;)
Nice machine, top dollar, err notch.

Updating Galaxy with an extra Lian Li 343 case would not be possible?? update the controllers to 12/16 port controllers
It is what i am going to do with my "poor 4TB" machine,
but then again, my case is 1mm steal not Alu..... don't know how problematic that could be in you're case.
Maybe custom build a half size(of the 343) steal case for under you're Galaxy 4.0???
just for the extra hard drives, nothing more, and connect it to galaxy 4.0, internally/externally, at you're wishes.

I'm alive, haha.

Yeah I made it out, I'm still good and the wife is still happy. rofls.

I'll let you guys know of upddates or new events in the very near future :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back