Project: The Unidyne PC

Requesting pictures of such atrocities!! I thought you knew better Q-tip!

Anyways goog job on the case.

It would be cool to hide a small microphone in the front and connect it to mic-in, so you can act like you are really using it as a mic while using skype or w/e. :D

115.jpg

Stand making. Here are a few parts used in the process. A 10-24 threaded steel rod, fender washer, wing nut, kitchen drain extension pipe and drain pipe beauty piece.

116.jpg

I bored out two concentric holes into the attachment lug. Each bore hole is set at a different depth. A hole for the steel rod is then drilled all the way through the piece.

117.jpg

The steel support rod in place.

118.jpg

The attachment lug is installed into the mic body and the steel rod is threaded into a t-nut. The t-nut is accessed from inside the "case".

120.jpg

The shortened chrome extension tube with beauty piece is placed over the rod.

122.jpg

The shortened mic stand tube is placed inside the other tube assembly. A fender washer and wing nut firmly compresses the entire assembly into a fairly solid structure.

123.jpg

Final result.

124.jpg

Final glamour shot. I made the logo from a decal making kit I got some time ago. The cord is a slim VGA cable. I probably should have dug out a regular size VGA cable for this photo.

I've had comments about the computer looking ugly with all the cables hooked up. There are several solutions. First off is its role as a headless music server on my home network. It only needs power and Ethernet. I could go POE with a single cable if I really cared that much. Regardless, Bluetooth KB and mouse, and wireless Ethernet would all remove some cables from the equation. The rest of the cables can be bundled with either Velcro cable mesh or large diameter heat shrink. The nice thing about this project is that I'm allowed (required) to place one cable coming down from the mic body.

That is the end of this project. Thanks for following along.

melloman said:
respect ! :)
looks very great !
I concur, that looks amazing. Great job!
As for the cable problem, you can always make the cables run through the leg, and coming out of the back of the base. You surely have enough space there for that.

That's amazing. Grab yourself a copy of Maximum PC, look in the back and enter their modding compotition, you get $500 to tigerdirect if you win. You've got more than a fair chance

FYI, Maximum PC is reluctant to put people in the magazine that have already won. I won for the Millenium Falcon PC way back and when I submitted the "Computer Bike" Chopper PC I was told that they love it, but having already won (years ago) my chances were significantly lower. :mad:

I think slipperyskip was already in thier mag for one mod or another...

JediKnight0 said:
I think slipperyskip was already in thier mag for one mod or another...

Sorry but no. I was in newegg's ad that ran in MaximumPC last year but I've never participated in any contest. Matter of fact, I've never bought or read the magazine.

I have however appeared in Popular Science and PC Magazine and a bunch of European rags. While I'm on a roll here.....some of you may remember me from one of the last episodes of The ScreenSavers in May 2004. Before the move to LA. :mad: I was in a segment with Yoshi and Kevin Rose.

J_I_M_B_O said:
That's amazing. Grab yourself a copy of Maximum PC, look in the back and enter their modding compotition, you get $500 to tigerdirect if you win. You've got more than a fair chance

Well....I took your suggestion and entered the competition. I'm in the current issue (August). I shot all new pictures for the article.

Thanks Jimbo.

I have also entered the Unidyne PC in Extremetech's Case Mod Contest. It should be a great competition.

Big thumbs up to [H]Gawd urbsnspices for help on the project's name.

Ditto on the kudos for the MaximumPC 'Rig-of-the-month' win. I hope to see Beast III there some month.

Again, congrats.

Steven

Very nice job! I love the theme and your attention to detail is superb!

Good luck with the mod contests, let us know how you do...I have high hopes for ya!

Bloodgod42

u could enter any of those on your site and probably win stuff all over the place. Good Job!!

Bloodgod42 said:
Good luck with the mod contests, let us know how you do...I have high hopes for ya!

Bloodgod42

The Extremetech contest will be brutal. Some serious stuff has been entered already including Qtip's Batman Returns and the Gorillaz Mod among others. I know of some other sick stuff being entered closer to the deadline.

I'm sure CrimsonSky's Doom III will also make an appearance.

You definatly deserve to win.

Artisctally I love the theme's you pick for your work. It's definatly something that is not seen everyday. Classic stuff never gets old ;)

Stevennoland said:
Ditto on the kudos for the MaximumPC 'Rig-of-the-month' win. I hope to see Beast III there some month.

Again, congrats.

Steven

Thanks! You do good work. Have you entered the contest yet?

Dark-Colonel said:
You definatly deserve to win.

Artisctally I love the theme's you pick for your work. It's definatly something that is not seen everyday. Classic stuff never gets old ;)

I think my only chance to win anything is the fact that the judges are closer to my age (51) than the competition. :p

My biggest obstacle is the perceived lack of my computer's power being a VIA CPU and all. The contest rules clearly states that "judging criteria are artistic merit and craftsmanship", yet I know that Loyd Case isn't going to let a computer without "technical merit" win this competition.

congrats on maxpc... deffinetly one of the better computer mags out there

What kind of power supply is that? I have not seen one that is that low profile. What are the secs of the PS? Great mod.

Shmuckety said:
What kind of power supply is that? I have not seen one that is that low profile. What are the secs of the PS? Great mod.

The picoPSU is an awesome little creature. This one is rated at 120W. I have another one powering an AMD Geode NX (1.4GHz Mobile Athlon), with a WD Raptor HD and a slim CD burner with no problem at all.

Here is a link:The picoPSU

urbsnspices said:
Wow, awesome so far. I thought you would chinze out on the base but it is looking good.

Yeah let Shure know about your project. Who knows they may link to you, or at least send you a tshirt. I interviewed with them and I got a mouse pad. You figure a tribute computer has to be worth something.

I concur with urbsnspices; contact Shure and see if you can get one of these shirts (it's perfect for your mod). The shirt came out last year, so they might have some left. You deserve it!

shureMic2.jpg

-hype

With that big ol' chrome pipe, you have the perfect oppurtunity to run the cables straight through and out the back of the base..

xHypex said:
I concur with urbsnspices; contact Shure and see if you can get one of these shirts (it's perfect for your mod). The shirt came out last year, so they might have some left. You deserve it!

That is pretty cool but....Vanilla Ice? I think I would rather shoot myself. :)

Recent Unidyne mic sightings:

The new Def Leppard video "Rock On".

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Dani California" opening "Elvis" scene.

The TV show "Last Comic Standing" opening sequenece could double as a Unidyne commercial they show it so many times.

I did contact Shure. They liked the project and said they might use it in their in-house magazine they publish. I doubt they will but they were nice about it.

noc_81 said:
With that big ol' chrome pipe, you have the perfect oppurtunity to run the cables straight through and out the back of the base..

Good suggestion. I considered doing that but the mic needs and deserves one cable running down from it. I don't think it looks as good without it. In fact, Maximum PC said they were impressed with the level of detail that the cable represented.

excellent mod, a great tribute to a great microphone... :D

The Unidyne PC is one of the six finalists of the Extremetech Annual Case Mod Contest.

Each weekly winner qualifies for the grand prize of a $2,000 Core2Extreme-based gaming computer.

(pics link to their description & more pics on Extremetech)

WEEK 1 WINNER: Batman Begins

WEEK 2 WINNER: UAL-737

WEEK 3 WINNER: Patriot Plexiglass

WEEK 4 WINNER: Han Solo Carbonite

WEEK 5 WINNER: Unidyne Mic

WEEK 6 WINNER: Skeleton

Grand prize winner will be announced Friday, August 11th. Good luck to all!

IMHO, only 2 of those weekly winners are anywhere near in the same category...

Unidyne and Batman Begins

Kinda funny that the 2 best mods are from the [H]

I didn't want to bump this thread but I'm trying to drum up some votes for my latest project.

Seems I'm not getting much luvin so I thought I would remind everyone of the work I've done in the past.

So here's the deal....Intel PC Design Contest "People's Choice Award". Go vote please.

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled program. Thank you.

Vote here or kittens WILL die

Back