PS3 Controller Charging

JohnleMVP

Supreme [H]ardness
I've never noticed this before, but am I crazy or will the PS3 controllers only charged when connected to a PS3 or PC? Like it won't charge connected to a AC to USB adapter.

I tried to charge my PS3 controllers with the Apple iPhone AC to USB adapter and a Belkin Mini Surge Protector w/USB. Neither worked.

I also have these Hori Glo stand Chargers which are usb, but they also have the same issues. The charging stand will light up, but the controllers don't actually charge.

I've noticed the same thing, except I am able to charge them while plugged into the USB port of my Verizon DVR (it's an always on port so we use it to charge controllers, cell phones, etc). Other than that, nothing other than the PS3 or my laptop will charge the damn things. Not a big hassle, but annoying.

Yeah, my hTC AC adapter doesn't work either. PS3 or PC are the only things that will charge them.

Yeah, my hTC AC adapter doesn't work either. PS3 or PC are the only things that will charge them.

maybe it needs a lil plug'n'play code to get started. some peripherals or usb charge reliant gear will have this, so its not just a straight power source.

not sure, could just google it and get the answer.

im sure someone already did that and will post anytime now.

USB chargers such as those made for cell phones, including the iphone will NOT work.

The PS3 joystick must acknowledge a connection to a USB source, such as a PC/cable box/PS3 etc. A simple USB power supply will not work.

In order to charge the joystick the joystick and USB port must be able to communicate with each other.

So even if you buy a charging station the USB cord must be connected to a “intelligent” USB source.

Why did Sony do this? I imagine they Sony doesn’t want the joysticks to be plugged into any power source which may shorten the expected life span of the joystick.

Quote from somewhere else lol

Actually, Sony makes a first-party adapter that works. I think it retails for $25, though.

Back