PS3 fan is noisy?

Manon66

Weaksauce
I bought a PS3 yesterday, all reviews mentioned how it was quiet... Well if you don't use it, maybe ! It's quiet when I turn it on but as soon as I put a DVD movies the fan kick in at high speed. In fact the fan is noisier than xbox 360 ! Well the blu-ray drive is quiet but not the fan. For me it's of no use for home theater since it's too annoying during quiet passage, all you hear is the damn fan.

Since I cannot get a refund, will have to sale it for 400cnd :mad:

Wow... to sell a PS3 b/c the fan is noisy is very awkward. I can't even hear mine operate from where I sit across from my TV. Idk what to tell you. Probably got a bad one.

Yeah, mine is extremely quiet as well. You may have gotten a fubared fan.

Well if I bought a PS3 and it was making louder noises then other PS3's (say my friends' systems), I'd probably wonder if mine was somehow defective. Anyway, why can't you get a refund? Did you buy it online/auction?

If its a bad fan, why not just just call Sony and have them warranty the unit? If its unusual for a PS3 to be like that then it could mean that the fan is bad and may fail.

I bought a PS3 yesterday, all reviews mentioned how it was quiet... Well if you don't use it, maybe ! It's quiet when I turn it on but as soon as I put a DVD movies the fan kick in at high speed. In fact the fan is noisier than xbox 360 ! Well the blu-ray drive is quiet but not the fan. For me it's of no use for home theater since it's too annoying during quiet passage, all you hear is the damn fan.

Since I cannot get a refund, will have to sale it for 450cnd :mad:

Do you have your PS3 in an entertainment center. Like inside a cabinet or something. It needs room to breath. If you have your PS3 in the open and it's still loud, then you have a defective fan. Go exchange it for a different one. I've never seen or heard a PS3 that is loud when given room to breath.

If its a bad fan, why not just just call Sony and have them warranty the unit? If its unusual for a PS3 to be like that then it could mean that the fan is bad and may fail.

Yeah exactly. A noisy fan is no reason to sell the whole console. Get it warrantied.

Do you have your PS3 in an entertainment center. Like inside a cabinet or something. It needs room to breath. If you have your PS3 in the open and it's still loud, then you have a defective fan. Go exchange it for a different one. I've never seen or heard a PS3 that is loud when given room to breath.

QFT - mine used to be loud as hell when it was cramped in my older entertainment center. Once I got a different one that more open, no more loud fan.
If you want to REALLY hear a loud PS3 - turn it sideways or upside-down while it's on. It'll sound like a jet aircraft.

It's on a open cabinet and I tried directly on the floor... I don't think it's defective, it's just that the PS3 after a few minutes become very hot and the fan turn faster and it's loud. Put you hand on the side, you could use it as a hair dryer !

Found the answer: It's because of the upscaling. There is no dedicated scaler chip in the PS3. All upscaling is being done either via the RSX, or the Cell. This means the system is doing more work while watching a movie. More work means more heat. More heat means more fan.

Simple.

Anybody in Montreal Canada want a cheap PS3 ?? 400CND. It must go.

My brother bought a PS3 recently with the exact same problem, once you put in the DVD, after just a minute or two, the fan would kick on high and stay there. He returned it and then the replacement one he got (which has a different fan in it, same size, lower rpm) still did the same thing. He's now considering returning that one as well.

It's on a open cabinet and I tried directly on the floor... I don't think it's defective, it's just that the PS3 after a few minutes become very hot and the fan turn faster and it's loud. Put you hand on the side, you could use it as a hair dryer !

Found the answer: It's because of the upscaling. There is no dedicated scaler chip in the PS3. All upscaling is being done either via the RSX, or the Cell. This means the system is doing more work while watching a movie. More work means more heat. More heat means more fan.

Simple.

try the for sale forum.

louder than the X360? you must have a defective one.
The X360 sounds like a jet engine in the living room.

When mine has been sitting for a while the fan will speed up and get louder but I only hear it if the rest of the room is silent (like during downloads or folding).

I dunno... this thread sorta sounds like he's trying to bash the PS3.

There's no "maybe mine isn't working right". It's "The fan has to turn really fast because it gets hot from the upscaling". This is despite the fact that every other PS3 owner is saying theirs is whisper quiet, especially compared to the jet-engine-loud 360.

If this isn't a weak attempt to bash, then get a new one under warranty. Yours is not working correctly.

I dunno... this thread sorta sounds like he's trying to bash the PS3.

There's no "maybe mine isn't working right". It's "The fan has to turn really fast because it gets hot from the upscaling". This is despite the fact that every other PS3 owner is saying theirs is whisper quiet, especially compared to the jet-engine-loud 360.

If this isn't a weak attempt to bash, then get a new one under warranty. Yours is not working correctly.

I was thinking the same thing.;)

However, if it is legit I'll buy it if you will ship to the states.

It would be the worst attempt to start an anti PS3 thread ever. I just see collective head scratching.

Noisy due to upscaling? WTF? I upscale everything to 1080p except for PS3 games which I run at their native res and my system is pretty dam silent. I mean I can hear the fan if I get near it but at 8' away its not audible.

Simple.

Ebay it.

I'm not bashing and it's pathetic to accuse me of doing so. The problem is the definition of noise is different for everybody, Xbox 360 is totally silent for a lot of people. These same people are telling me the PS3 is silent and I'm suppose to believe them...yeah of course.
I had the Xbox 360, couldn't stand the noise, btw it's mostly coming for the DVD drive and not the fan. DVd drive from Sony is silent but when the fan kick, the fan is noisier than the Xbox 360 fans.

First Sony will not exhange a Ps3 for fan noise unless the red light is blinking. Second, stores will not refund a Ps3.

And last, after putting adds, the damn PS3 is still for sale after 2 days, even at only 400$ CND (normally selling for 625$) I didn't succeed. It tell me a lot abut the PS3 popularity !! WOW !

Its probably your credibility (or perhaps in your opinion, a noisy thus defective to us PS3). A store that doesn't accept returns under a reasonable amount of time? What were YOU thinking when you decide to purchase it there? You sound like you didn't want it in the first place and you didn't take back up measures if you have decided otherwise. Basically you screwed yourself over, your loss.

On the otherhand, I have a PS3 and I'm very happy with it. No noise here.

So if we can hear the fan then it's automatically defective for you ! Wow, your tech skills really impress me. I guess all xbox 360 should be defective then ! But indeed they are.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40933

Also did you readed the other message, another person had the same problem , exchange them and had the same problem again. Was it defective, no, simply noisy.

Since I cannot get a refund, will have to sale it for 450cnd :mad:

Wow .. you serious? It likely has one the most quiet fans of any next gen system (the Wii isnt next gen) plus I cant even hear it during a Blu-ray movie or heavy gameplay , Go listen to a launch xbox 360 and you will understand loud. I would try to get it exchanged cause unless you are hyper oversensitive to air flow noises (?) then your system is defective.

This has to just be a flame attempt ???

So if we can hear the fan then it's automatically defective for you ! Wow, your tech skills really impress me. I guess all xbox 360 should be defective then ! But indeed they are.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40933

Also did you readed the other message, another person had the same problem , exchange them and had the same problem again. Was it defective, no, simply noisy.

You asked the opinion of people here and some of us are saying that the ps3 in general is quieter than a 360, so if yours is louder that's a pretty good indication that it's defective. sorry.

Thanks for the reply but I finally sold it ! The only next gen console that is silent, is the Wii.

Last one thing, the plastic they use for the PS3 is a dust, hair cat and finger magnet, what a piece fo crap !!!

So enjoy your PS3 !!

I leave the ps3 on folding 24x7 and unless its above 80 degrees in the house it is near silent. Sound like yours was defective....

Thanks for the reply but I finally sold it ! The only next gen console that is silent, is the Wii.

Last one thing, the plastic they use for the PS3 is a dust, hair cat and finger magnet, what a piece fo crap !!!

So enjoy your PS3 !!

Wii is not next gen ..its last gen with a wireless fun toy controller. Also sounds like you didn't care about the PS3 in general ..the thread should have been titled "Regret buying a PS3 now i'm gonna make up some bs story about the fan being to loud then tell everyone how terrible it was to deal with .."

So enjoy your PS3 !!

My old 386 had a passive fan and was dead silent too...

seriously, either you're just a troll, or you've got dog ears, or you need to invest in a fan or A/C for your place before you drop money on a console...cause i have never heard my ps3.

Just let this die...He just is a troll or he wants a HD product that doesn't have a fan in it at all. So either way he loses. :)

I just want to know where he purchased the unit since every major retail chain has a return policy... defective or not.

if u want silence go into a closet and stop breathing, if you want an intense HD gaming experience ull learn to deal with the sorta audible fan...

I have a PS3 and a 360 and the 360 is a Live Rock Concert where the PS3 sounds like maybe a soft pop song.

He never owed a PS3. He doesn't own a Wii either. He's just a dum ass trying to flame bait becauce he has some bull shit reason for hating Sony. He has probably done this on many other sites before because he has no life. It was obvious from his first post and confirmed by his last.
"
"

What kind of dum ass bashes a system because of static electricity.

He's a troll...but he is right about the PS3 seemingly attracting dust, fingerprints, and pet hair. It's the shiny plastic on it. It doesn't bother me, but it IS true. Still...the fan noise and the aesthetic of the system have the be the lamest reasons to bash a system EVER.

Since I cannot get a refund, will have to sale it for 400cnd :mad:

what the hell? there is law in canada that give you 10 days to bring back ANYTHING you want to a store for a full refund.

there is something totally wrong with this and i wouldnt touch that ps3 with a 10 feet pole

Back