ps4 hardware errors?

DF-1

2[H]4U
I managed to grab a used ps4 for 250+20tax from cowboom, its being delivered tomorrow.

I know sony doesn't honor warranties without original (new) purchase receipt.

Should I be worried about the ps4 dying/having errors? I really don't want it to crap out on me. I've only got 14 days that I can return it in.

Thanks in advance :p

If gamestop is still running their 50% trade in you can trade it in for $397 and buy a new one.

If gamestop is still running their 50% trade in you can trade it in for $397 and buy a new one.

they are running the 50% trade, sadly they lowered the base price of the trade in, so its $50-$60 that you have to add to the trade in which kinda defeats my buying used purpose =/

This.

It had a batch that had issues with the HDMI port but I wouldn't chance it just get a new one like he suggested.

I got a launch console from Amazon and it's never had any issue. Some also have loud fans but mine is almost silent vertically.

The only known PS4 hardware errors were at launch and were caused by someone who admitted sabotaging a few batches of units. FYI, it was an HDMI connector and thermal paste issue.

The only known PS4 hardware errors were at launch and were caused by someone who admitted sabotaging a few batches of units. FYI, it was an HDMI connector and thermal paste issue.
There's a few heating issues, thumbsticks tearing and discs popping out but they aren't too wide spread.

any way to check for these issues? manufacter date,batch #,model#?

or does the issue just show up one day?

...maybe i will trade it in:(

any way to check for these issues? manufacter date,batch #,model#?

or does the issue just show up one day?

...maybe i will trade it in:(

You'll know as soon as you turn it on. It's either not going to show video, show video with a ton of snow or what have you (I had this happen once, video showed up but it was just fucked up I did a hard reset and it was fine.)

The controller issues will show over time depending on play time. The heating issue is basically the fans spinning loud as hell, again as soon as you turn it on you'll know.

You'll know as soon as you turn it on. It's either not going to show video, show video with a ton of snow or what have you (I had this happen once, video showed up but it was just fucked up I did a hard reset and it was fine.)

The controller issues will show over time depending on play time. The heating issue is basically the fans spinning loud as hell, again as soon as you turn it on you'll know.
Yep, exactly. The HDMI issue is immediate. The other issue is related to over heating and will pop up shortly after you start using the system.

My suggestion is just sit down with the system and play a good 3-4 hour session. If you make it through that you should be good.

I would be very skeptical about buying a used ps4 for that cheap....

The sabotaging units is such a bogus claim.

The sabotaging units is such a bogus claim.
Considering it was Foxconn, I wouldn't put it past their slave force intentionally sabotaging products in protest. Either way, these claims will never be substantiated because Sony (or any corporation) wouldn't implicate and investigate their hardware suppliers for fear of losing contracts and having to find another supplier.

I have a PS4 purchased at launch and I've had no problems with it.

Considering it was Foxconn, I wouldn't put it past their slave force intentionally sabotaging products in protest. Either way, these claims will never be substantiated because Sony (or any corporation) wouldn't implicate and investigate their hardware suppliers for fear of losing contracts and having to find another supplier.

I have a PS4 purchased at launch and I've had no problems with it.

The fact that is was manufactured at a place that could sabatoge a unit is irrelevant. The claim that they made was a hardware design flaw that they exploited. They were saying that they affected the standby power usage thus generating more heat in standby while Sony had designed the system putting a hard limit on the fan usage during standby. Me being an engineer can absolutely, flat out guarantee, that no embedded hardware engineer would ever ever ever do that...unless they were horrible engineers with little to 0 fault recognition/mitigation plan

The fact that is was manufactured at a place that could sabatoge a unit is irrelevant. The claim that they made was a hardware design flaw that they exploited. They were saying that they affected the standby power usage thus generating more heat in standby while Sony had designed the system putting a hard limit on the fan usage during standby. Me being an engineer can absolutely, flat out guarantee, that no embedded hardware engineer would ever ever ever do that...unless they were horrible engineers with little to 0 fault recognition/mitigation plan
I'm with you on that one. I admit I never read that much into the issue, I was just going by what the quoted poster was saying about a broken HDMI output and thermal paste. Those are parts of the assembly process, not engineering, and is more believable.

just played around with it for 2 hours. it was manufactured in sept 2013, clearly looks used, but not in bad condition.

clicking sounds on startup scared me a little, but google reveals that ALL of them do it.

played a bit of killzone MP and it got pretty hot.
the HDD? wouldn't stop spinning very noisy/fast even after the update that it applied (was pretty silent before updating).

the UI smoothness is something i can appreciate coming from a PS3.

in the end I think ill go to gamestop tomorrow and pay the $42 to get a new one, might as well. comes out to $313 total spent after taxes.

Thanks again for all the info

if anyone wants to add me my PSN is df1rools i currently have 0 friends on PSN :eek:

wasn't sure if to make another thread... but I got the new ps4, made may 2014, controller model starts with 2 instead of 1.

i'm having a weird problem. I tried resogun and killzone and whenever i need to use the dpad it seems like something is wrong.

for instance in killzone i need to press RIGHT to scan for enemies, when I do this, the controller thinks im pushing the TOP dpad button instead and showing me the mission objectives.

i'm not sure if its because of the slightly re-worked model series 2xxxxxx or what.

what should I do? I don't see anything on google mentioning this.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell you, I couldn't imagine how it could do that. If it was faulty it just wouldn't work unless somehow unless for whatever reason the actual disk itself had a manufacturing defect.

Open it up and see!

wasn't sure if to make another thread... but I got the new ps4, made may 2014, controller model starts with 2 instead of 1.

i'm having a weird problem. I tried resogun and killzone and whenever i need to use the dpad it seems like something is wrong.

for instance in killzone i need to press RIGHT to scan for enemies, when I do this, the controller thinks im pushing the TOP dpad button instead and showing me the mission objectives.

i'm not sure if its because of the slightly re-worked model series 2xxxxxx or what.

what should I do? I don't see anything on google mentioning this.

Sounds like your controller has a problem, probably not the game itself.

They had A\ MS fanboy on the assembely line?

Back