PS4 vs. Xbox One Everything You Need To Know

HardOCP News

[H] News
Everything you need to know about the PS4 vs. Xbox One battle? I'll tell you everything you need to know right here: Xbox owners are buying the Xbox One, PS3 owner are buying PS4s. PC gamers couldn't give a rip either way. Taa Daa! :D

So, should you upgrade? The answer is "probably not yet." (For PC gamers, the question here is "should I move over to the living room?" but we're not even going to attempt that debate here. If you enjoy playing on PC, please continue to do so.)

If they ever come up with some sort of technology that allows a PC to be hooked up in the living room, it would be a game changer. One can dream, no?

If they ever come up with some sort of technology that allows a PC to be hooked up in the living room, it would be a game changer. One can dream, no?

I can see it in my head. 1 cable to rule them all. It plugs into your PC and pipes right into a TV, HT receiver etc. But that will never come to fruition (just don't tell my HTPC that...)

Meh, I had a 360 (died), got a PS4 and have my PC, may get an X1 down the road. It's more about games for me than what hardware is running them.

Still rocking the VCR and Cassette Deck! Nice!

I love the comment from Ars... "if you held a gun to my head I would pick the 360, but when you put it down I would tell you to wait" HAHAHAHAHA

Grrr why can't I edit!!!

I'm seeing some "Optimus" components in that rack... someone works at Radio Shack... :)

Got the PS4, a lot of my friends have actually switched over to the PS4 as well. Just hoping for bigger library of games soon

Don't go telling everyone this well kept secret of ours. I mean if people just knew you could plug in a PC to a TV, do you know what could happen? We're talking fire and brimstone coming down from the sky. Rivers and seas boiling. 40 years of darkness, earthquakes, and Windows 8. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Arstechnica is too tightly connected to a company far too tightly connected to Microsoft which is far too noticeable in their far too subjective PS4/XboxOne articles.

Fart oo.

Don't of the reviews cover in detail the underlying architecture, such as if it supports hUMA, or OS. I get hints here and there that PS4 is hUMA capable and runs on FreeBSD while Xbox One is some mix mash of Hyper-V/Windows/proprietary OS. Prefer not to carry over BSoD from PC to console.

Arstechnica is too tightly connected to a company far too tightly connected to Microsoft which is far too noticeable in their far too subjective PS4/XboxOne articles.

Fart oo.

I don't consider their review biased, and I did like the fact they mentioned the most important aspect of the consoles, and that's their games. You can talk about specs all you want, but it's all about the games. Arstechnica said that neither console has a game lineup that really compels them. Which to me says that both consoles are fail.

Right now the most anticipating games I can think is World of Warcraft expansion and Dark Souls 2. Neither game is going to come out anytime soon. Right now is a really good time to go out and buy some old games you haven't played. God knows there's a lot of games I've missed out that are dirt cheap right now. Literally more games then I have time for.

Metroid Prime 3 for Wii I'm playing right now, and next will be Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. These games are cheap right now, so yea worth the trouble to pick up. I've never played Castlevania Symphony of nights, or Final Fantasy 3/6 on the SNES.

Don't go telling everyone this well kept secret of ours. I mean if people just knew you could plug in a PC to a TV, do you know what could happen? We're talking fire and brimstone coming down from the sky. Rivers and seas boiling. 40 years of darkness, earthquakes, and Windows 8. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

That's a bad thing?

I'm curious to know which will be a better media player/center. My only motivation for buying one is to uprade my gen1 blu ray player, and possibly eliminate my roku. The more devices I can consolidate, the more likely it is that my wife can actually operate them, which is more likely to make my life easier.

the long and short of it is that the basic system specs are nearly identical. The CPUs share the same architecture and multi-core design, the GPUs vary only slightly in clock speed and number of compute units, and while the PS4 has a faster unified pool of GDDR5 RAM, the Xbox One makes up for this (at least partially) with a small cache of ultra-fast ESRAM.
What utter BS. The PS4 is siginificantly more powerful. It's able to run games at a higher resolution.

Does the BD drive play out of region disks?

Haha. It's sony. Well that was funny. Just trying to get rid of the LG PoS.

Someone first needs to come up with a way I can use a gamepad instead of the awful mouse and keyboard though!

Slightly?! The PS4 has 50% more shades. ^_^

Stop being a PS4 Master Race elitist! Graphics don't matter, only gameplay! BTW, boo to all you people purchasing Super Mario 3D World! The Xbox One has better graphics than your Wii U!

IMG_20131122_070928_Small.jpg

What utter BS. The PS4 is siginificantly more powerful. It's able to run games at a higher resolution.

The Xbox one can run games at the same resolution. Just because the first releases may not doesn't mean it can't.

From an overall technical standpoint (not including OS and apps) the consoles are not all that different.

did anyone else watch the comparison video? I was surprised the ps4 was a little bit faded and were missing some of the graphical flare the xboxone had.

Most bias review ever. Ignoring facts.
I have both (wont get to play xbone till this evening). But I definitely bought them for different reasons, ps4 will definitely be my platform for cross platform games between the two.

Quote of the Day:

" 'But if you held a gun to my head and said I had to pick a system today, I'd probably point toward the Xbox One' - Kyle Orland, arstechnica.com

I think Microsoft should print this quote on the outside of Xbox One's packaging"

It's not going to be long before TV's come with PC's in them.

One of mine is kid's toy Corvette with a m-ITX in it.

Another is small. About 7"x4"x1" looks like a USB expander, but it's a dual core Atom with an SSD and AMD graphic with 8gb SODIMM DDR3 RAM and Win7-64 Pro. Not a game monster, but an excellent web browser.

While I'm not going to buy either. It's amazing to me the incredibly limited to non existent music support on both. They want to take control of your living room.. Do people not listen to music in their living rooms anymore?

I don't have an Xbox 360. I have a PS3. I think I read somewhere that you need a paid Xbox Live account to get apps like Netflix - I may be wrong. Is this requirement still in effect with the Xbox One?

I'm thinking of upgrading my PS3 to a newer console - probably primarily as a Blu-ray player as my PS3 was - but seeing how I like Windows 8, I'm leaning towards Xbox One because of potential apps in the Microsoft Store (there is a Microsoft Store like Windows 8 on the Xbox One, is there?) that'll replace my HTPC with Windows 8 Pro (with Media Center) and MediaBrowser3. My media server runs on a 16TB Windows Home Server 2011 machine with an AMD A4, everything in high-profile MKV.

Anyone think that the Xbox One will eventually become a suitable replacement for an HTPC when the Store content matures?

Pseudo-edit: in retrospect, I'm thinking maybe an Xbox One isn't a suitable HTPC replacement because it doesn't run 1080p if I'm reading everything right.

Back