PSU HELP

response99

Weaksauce
I have a Ultra X-infinity 600w PSU, and it is LOUD.. is there anyway that changing the psu fan will change this, or is it the psu its self.?

response99 said:
I have a Ultra X-infinity 600w PSU, and it is LOUD.. is there anyway that changing the psu fan will change this, or is it the psu its self.?

Does it sound like fan noise? Buzzing or just generally loud?

You could crack it open and replace the fan, FYI this will void your warrantee. You could see Jonnys review on this supply to get a couple shots of what to expect.

response99 said:
doesn't mention anything about noise..:S

The review doesn't mention anything about noise because it's not supposed to be a loud PSU. Obviously either your PSU fan or fan controller is defective.

dbTelos was suggesting the review because it has shots of the insides so you can see what you might be getting yourself into when replacing the fan.

But I don't suggest replacing the fan. You have a PSU with a lifetime warranty that can be replaced via an advanced replacement so you would have ZERO down time... I wouldn't throw that all away by replacing a fan when it might not even fix your problem.

If the problem is the fan controller or you wire the fan directly to the +12V, then ANY FAN is going to spin at full RPM and that simply isn't the way PSU fans work.

It's just beyond me why people don't take advantage of things like advanced replacement RMA exchanges. Just call the toll free number and get it replaced.

jonnyGURU said:
The review doesn't mention anything about noise because it's not supposed to be a loud PSU. Obviously either your PSU fan or fan controller is defective.

dbTelos was suggesting the review because it has shots of the insides so you can see what you might be getting yourself into when replacing the fan.

But I don't suggest replacing the fan. You have a PSU with a lifetime warranty that can be replaced via an advanced replacement so you would have ZERO down time... I wouldn't throw that all away by replacing a fan when it might not even fix your problem.

If the problem is the fan controller or you wire the fan directly to the +12V, then ANY FAN is going to spin at full RPM and that simply isn't the way PSU fans work.

It's just beyond me why people don't take advantage of things like advanced replacement RMA exchanges. Just call the toll free number and get it replaced.

Thanks for the help Jonny, i'm going to call them today. Should i just tell them its extremely loud, and the fans are spinning at full rpm all the time? or something else.

response99 said:
Thanks for the help Jonny, i'm going to call them today. Should i just tell them its extremely loud, and the fans are spinning at full rpm all the time? or something else.

Tell them that the PSU is being very loud, and you think either the fan controller on the PSU is borked, or the fan has something wrong with it causing it to be abnormally loud.

Before i send this thing back....

some reviews of other people say that this thing is loud as well. There couldn't be that many defective PSU fan controllers could there. Could someone please justify the amount of noise that this PSU creates before i waste my time shipping this off to get a new one of the exact same model. I don't wanna waste my money if the new one i get is just as loud.

I finally contacted Ultra about this stupid psu. they gave me a code:

Defective # 5408

anyone know what that code refers to?

Could that be the RMA number? Here's the page about their warranty stuff, in case you haven't looked at it...

response99 said:
I finally contacted Ultra about this stupid psu. they gave me a code:

Defective # 5408

anyone know what that code refers to?

I'm going to guess that's your RMA #. You would put that number on the shipping box going back to Ultra.

As for noise: It's a PSU with dual 80MM fans. It's not going to be "super quiet" compared to a PSU with a 120MM or larger fan.

But you also complained about a buzz. Buzzes aren't normal. So you should RMA it, if for any reason, because of the buzz.

no its not the rma code.. i only bought the psu 2 weeks ago, i have to return it to the place of purchase, being tiger direct. i'm going to call them now and see what they say..

all done, tigerdirect is shipping out a new one tmmrw. lets see if its any better. i hope it is.. cuz i can't stand thing thing.. i can hear it with my headphones on lol

Back