Purchasing a 980 GTX

Brashen

Gawd
Hey people of [H]

I,m in the process of ordering a 980 GTX from Newegg and was wondering whether they accept International Debit Cards. I'd like to pay for it from where I am right now and send it to a friend who lives in NY, who in turn is coming over for the holidays?

I've scoured their website FAQ but nothing alludes to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much guys apparently you cant purchase it using a different country issued card.

Paypal the money to your friend in the US and he can buy it for you.

Thanks Dookey,

I ended up buying it through Amazon, they accepted my card and they've shipped it to my friend's place. So all is well.

Thanks everyone.

I'm an American living in London and, yes, they should take it if it's linked to your bank account. You will likely get hit with international charge fees.

As for Visa or MC debit gift cards, no. and just tried to use a pounds-denominated debit I got as a gift for a NewEgg purchase and won't accept it. I think if your gift card is older you may be able to, however.

Also, did you warn your friend about potential customs fees? I know UK customs has been checking bags randomly especially around the holidays, and the "gift" excuse doesn't fly anymore.

I don't really upgrade that often as you can probably tell from my sig, that being said I don't just use it for gaming as a concept artist and motion designer I can use all the extra juice I can get for my 3d and composting programs.

And perhaps just a little bit of epeen :p

@harmattan

Well I live in Leabnon and they're very lax about this stuff but I'll let him know about it as well, thank you for the headsup.

@harmattan

Well I live in Leabnon and they're very lax about this stuff but I'll let him know about it as well, thank you for the headsup.

Lucky :) Go for it, then. I've had it up to here with this 20% VAT BS and electronics markup vs. the US. Anything retail is 25-35% more expensive over here.

I knew what I was getting into when I moved over, and worked an increase into my salary to offset it some, but is really hitting me buying gifts over the holidays.

Pro tip, kids: If you're Amercian hardware enthusiast and have the opportunity to move abroad, think long and hard :eek:

Lucky :) Go for it, then. I've had it up to here with this 20% VAT BS and electronics markup vs. the US. Anything retail is 25-35% more expensive over here.

I knew what I was getting into when I moved over, and worked an increase into my salary to offset it some, but is really hitting me buying gifts over the holidays.

Pro tip, kids: If you're Amercian hardware enthusiast and have the opportunity to move abroad, think long and hard :eek:

I used to live in Iceland, stuff was double or more in price for most things.
gas was $4/gallon in 1991 when I moved back to the US.

I used to live in Iceland, stuff was double or more in price for most things.
gas was $4/gallon in 1991 when I moved back to the US.

Heh, sorry to diverge, but I'm headed to Iceland for a couple days in January (fiance wants to see the Northern Lights, blah, blah) and invariably people have told me to bring my own food, liquor etc. since it's so expensive. I'm definitely going to be pushing the envelope on that two-bottle limit :)

Actually, that brings up the question: what country/region has the cheapest retail hardware costs? China or India maybe...?

It depends on what you consider hardware but for GPUs the US is likely the cheapest. India and China are not cheaper.

The US benefits from difference in tariffs and sales taxes (not just amount but in how it's collected, eg relying on voluntary self reporting which most people surely do not do).

Heh, sorry to diverge, but I'm headed to Iceland for a couple days in January (fiance wants to see the Northern Lights, blah, blah) and invariably people have told me to bring my own food, liquor etc. since it's so expensive. I'm definitely going to be pushing the envelope on that two-bottle limit :)

Actually, that brings up the question: what country/region has the cheapest retail hardware costs? China or India maybe...?

Last time I was there a 750ml bottle of Smirnoff was around $50, on the base it was like $7. (dad was retired military at the time so we couldn't buy alcohol or tobacco since he had no ration card, and goods had to be smuggled off of the base)
Food is pricey, but the native food is very good. try the Hotdogs, called Pylsur over there.
that is the main food item I miss. Also try Egils Malt, it's a beverage in a brown can.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/egils-malt-extrakt/69128/
tastes really good when mixed with Egils orange soda, called Appelsín.

I don't really upgrade that often as you can probably tell from my sig, that being said I don't just use it for gaming as a concept artist and motion designer I can use all the extra juice I can get for my 3d and composting programs.

And perhaps just a little bit of epeen :p

IIRC a 980 is around 18% faster than a 970 for about 57% higher cost. And yeah, I think the virtual buldge in my pants is a little bigger.

Back