Q About cancelling VZ Contract

Master [H]

2[H]4U
So, I've been told that I can cancel my contract without incurring an early termination fee if I call them out on something I didn't sign for. We all know Verizon is adding a $2 charge to pay your bill monthly, which I didn't agree to when I signed my contract.

Now, my contract isn't up until October 2012 and my wife's out until January 2013. We were thinking of dropping Verizon anyway after our contracts end, but if we don't have to pay the termination fee, we might just do it soon after they implement this fee, because it ends up happening right around when I'd have taxes done.

I've heard several Sprint customers say you can do this, but I'd like to know from any former Verizon customers if this could be done.

I strongly doubt this new $2 charge for paying online with a credit/debit card is grounds for terminating a contract without incurring early termination fees. No one is required to use online bill pay and you can avoid the $2 by using E-check.

I strongly doubt this new $2 charge for paying online with a credit/debit card is grounds for terminating a contract without incurring early termination fees. No one is required to use online bill pay and you can avoid the $2 by using E-check.

Wrong. Part of the service Verizon offered on your contract is the use of MyVerizon at zero cost. After the 1/15 this service will incur a fee of $2.

"Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee."

I already spoke to a CSR and got her to admit and note my account that I have 60 days from 1/15 to terminate my account ETF free.

Not sure I'd be willing to lose my unlimited data package over this. It has been my experience that people looking to exploit these loopholes do so for the wrong reason. Not saying this is true for the OP, but it's what I've seen.

Wrong. Part of the service Verizon offered on your contract is the use of MyVerizon at zero cost. After the 1/15 this service will incur a fee of $2.

"Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee."

I already spoke to a CSR and got her to admit and note my account that I have 60 days from 1/15 to terminate my account ETF free.
MyVerizon is not the same as online bill pay. If you pay your bill through MyVerizon, the $2 charge applies. There's no charge for using MyVerizon to monitor usage, make changes to your plan, etc. I just confirmed this with a Verizon CSR. She also pointed me to an ABC.com story that lists 7 ways to avoid the fee.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/12/verizon-wireless-adds-2-fee-for-phone-online-bill-pay/

"In a statement Verizon listed the seven ways in which customers can avoid the new $2 fee:

1. Electronic check online (My Verizon Online, My Verizon Mobile/Handset). Fee waived.

2. Electronic check via telephone. Fee waived.

3. Enrollment in AutoPay using credit/debit/ATM card or electronic check; fee does not apply

4. Online from the customer’s home-banking service provider website; fee does not apply.

5. Credit/debit/ATM card, electronic check or cash at a Bill Payment Kiosk, Panel or with a representative at a Verizon Wireless Communications Store; fee does not apply.

6. Use of a Verizon Wireless Gift Card or Verizon Wireless device Rebate Card to pay a bill in-store, online or by telephone; fee does not apply.

7. Paper check or money order mailed to the VZW remit address on customer’s bill; fee does not apply."

MyVerizon is not the same as online bill pay. If you pay your bill through MyVerizon, the $2 charge applies. There's no charge for using MyVerizon to monitor usage, make changes to your plan, etc. I just confirmed this with a Verizon CSR. She also pointed me to an ABC.com story that lists 7 ways to avoid the fee.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/12/verizon-wireless-adds-2-fee-for-phone-online-bill-pay/

"In a statement Verizon listed the seven ways in which customers can avoid the new $2 fee:

1. Electronic check online (My Verizon Online, My Verizon Mobile/Handset). Fee waived.

2. Electronic check via telephone. Fee waived.

3. Enrollment in AutoPay using credit/debit/ATM card or electronic check; fee does not apply

4. Online from the customer’s home-banking service provider website; fee does not apply.

5. Credit/debit/ATM card, electronic check or cash at a Bill Payment Kiosk, Panel or with a representative at a Verizon Wireless Communications Store; fee does not apply.

6. Use of a Verizon Wireless Gift Card or Verizon Wireless device Rebate Card to pay a bill in-store, online or by telephone; fee does not apply.

7. Paper check or money order mailed to the VZW remit address on customer’s bill; fee does not apply."

You can tell the CSR she no longer has to worry. She is DEAD wrong tho. A subsection of My Verizon IS BILL PAY. Call her back and ask her what other ONLINE option to pay besides My Verizon ON VERIZONS website exists.

Verizon has recanted and will not charge the fee...

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2011/12/pr2011-12-30.html

what ever happened to the days when Company X would sell product Y at Z dollars and that was IT.

No fees, surcharges, and other crap. I'm pretty sure a big company like Verizon knows how much it costs them to do business. If it suddenly costs more to do buiness, raise your prices and document it. If it's legitimate then pretty much every other business in the field has to follow suit. If it's just a free money grab then it's easily exposed.

Apparently nobody at Verizon reads the news, especially with what Bank of America tried to do. You would figure with the economy in the crapper it would be pretty cost effective and smart to ditch the old lumbering management making these decisions and bring in some fresh people who can change the game for the better.

Of course logic and fairness have no place in the business world - so we all continue to get F'd.

what ever happened to the days when Company X would sell product Y at Z dollars and that was IT.

No fees, surcharges, and other crap. I'm pretty sure a big company like Verizon knows how much it costs them to do business. If it suddenly costs more to do buiness, raise your prices and document it. If it's legitimate then pretty much every other business in the field has to follow suit. If it's just a free money grab then it's easily exposed.

Apparently nobody at Verizon reads the news, especially with what Bank of America tried to do. You would figure with the economy in the crapper it would be pretty cost effective and smart to ditch the old lumbering management making these decisions and bring in some fresh people who can change the game for the better.

Of course logic and fairness have no place in the business world - so we all continue to get F'd.

Logic is very prevalent in the business world: It's just not your logic.

CC companies start charging more to process payments? Add a fee.
Massive outrage over it, probably going to loose millions over dropped customers? Eat the CC cost.

It's all logic. ;)

I'm shocked that Verizon did not think a federal investigation would stem from charging customers from PAYING THEIR BILLS.

Any definite answer? I may use my upgrade and drop the service to the tune of 70% off of a Galaxy Nexus.

Back