Q6600 Issues

SDMorris

Gawd
Hello people! I am having some troubles getting a Q6600 past 3.0GHz. My temps are MORE than low enough to go higher, idling at a good 37c and load at around 48c. Now, here are my problems:

1. My multiplier wont go over 9x, why? I thought the 790i Ultra can go higher?

2. The only way it is letting me overclock is by boosting my FSB. Its already at 1333, and when I try to go any higher my computer just turns off and I have to clear CMOS.

Am I overclocking this the right way? Why cant I go any higher on my clocks? Is it my voltages?

To see my set-up look in my sig.

Do you know anything about overclocking at all? Your multiplier has nothing to do with the chipset. The Q6600 is limited to a maximum multiplier of 9. Raising the FSB is the only way to overclock a modern CPU altogether unless it's either an Extreme Edition CPU or an AMD Black Edition.

My suggestion is that you read up on overclocking Core 2 CPUs. There are plenty of threads here that deal with the subject along with a very detailed guide that is stickied at the top of the forum. Once you have done some research, then you can come back and ask for some clarification on whatever you might need. If you try to just jump into it without knowing what you're doing, you could cause damage to your system, so you should learn about it before you try going any further.

Back