Q6600 on P45.. Q9450 maybe?

mr saturn

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I'm about to order a new build but I'm a little conflicted.. Here's what I originally had:

Q6600 with an XP-120 (Tricool)
Asus P5Q Pro
Patriot Viper Series PC2-6400 4GB (2 x 2GB)
P180
EVGA 9600GT

My absolute main concern here is heat. I'm looking to get an overclock of anywhere from 3.2 - 3.6 ghz, but I want to be able to run all the TriCools on the lowest setting (39 CFM), even under load. Is this possible? If it is I'll be ordering the Q6600.

I've also been looking at the Q9450 which I've heard runs significantly cooler. I could get a 3.2 - 3.4 oc with the ram and be done with it; no worrying about temps for a few years. The Q9450 is a hair over $100 more than the Q6600 if I get the P5Q combo deal with NCIX (Canadian here), which seems like a pretty decent value.

I've read the Q6600 overclocks beautifully, I'm just really concerned with the heat it will throw. The P5Q is built with cooler running components, maybe I should get a processor to match.. What do you guys think?

The Q9450 will run cooler. But why are you using a xp-120? That thing is friggin old and it is meant for cpus that were made back in 2004. Get a TRUE or one of the direct heat pipe coolers for a quad core. Even my tuniq tower is not that great for my core2 duo clocked at 3.2ghz. It is stable but my cpu gets pretty hot.

Do your self a favor and ditch that old heatsink. But you cant go wrong with the q6600. The q6600 will at least do 3.2ghz. Just get a good air cooler.

Well I could pick up a new heatsink but why? I'd spend another $50 on that which is halfway to the Q9450, and I wouldn't get any of the processor benefits. If the XP-120 will cool a 9450 but not a 6600 then my decision is made.

Watch the 9550 come out at the end of the month for the same price... :(

I think he was trying to say that it's not really going to cut it for either with that kind of oc, but I could be wrong.

Either way you go, you can't go wrong with a TRUE.

The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 performs on par with the TRUE and is only $37; but you'll want the $7 LGA775 retention kit (bolt-thru kit). The XP120 should be able to handle either chip at 3.6Ghz, but it is an old heatsink.

Tri-Cools suck. Replace them with medium or low speed Yate Loon fans from jab-tech.com for $4 each. Sell the TriCools to recoupe the cost.

If you need a fan for your XP120, use a Scythe S-Flex instead of a TriCool. They're much quieter and push much more air.

Well, I recently inherited a Q6600. Nothing beats free! Thanks for the input though.

I actually ended up trading my current mobo+processor for it so I had to buy a new heatsink anyway. Went for the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, which is now on it's way along with a P5Q-Pro. I didn't see a retention bracket though; it comes compatible stock, just with the push-pin setup...

I'll update the thread with my overclock, thanks again!

Back