QM87 Laptop Recommendations

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
I am in need of a workstation level laptop that supports VT-d, TPM, and Intel TXT. Unfortunately, this limits me to the QM87 chipset if I want a 4th gen CPU. Does anyone have any recommendations for a QM87-based laptop?

mSATA + remove-able drives would be nice but not required. 1x eSATA would also be nice, but again, not required. I could live without both. 1920x1080 resolution would be ideal along with Linux compatible WiFi.

Thanks

The Dell Precision M4800 with an i7-4810MQ is looking like a winner as TPM (v1.2), vPro, and VT-d(x) are all enabled and I like the drive bay configuration. I'm not sure about TXT but not sure I need the support anyway. The 7260 WiFi adapter is OK, worse case I will have to manually install the firmware. I'm not too keen on the NVIDIA Quadro K1100M GPU but it's better than the other option, an AMD FirePro. It can also ship with my choice of Red Hat or Ubuntu installed for a cost savings of $100 and is, therefore, Linux certified by Dell so all hardware should be Linux compatible out of the box.

I did try to contact a few of the Linux specific hardware companies such as System76 but many of them have severely modified BIOS's and only seem to use HM87 chipsets. System76 doesn't have any laptop capable of supporting TPM because of their modified BIOS.

I think that's your best choice too since you need those enabled out of the box, some other can do it with bios mods but obviously that's not a route you want to go.

Back