Quad speaker setup troubles

4keatimj

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know how many of these have been posted around here, but I am having real trouble trying to set up my quad speaker setup. I think I have the speaker placings right (following the guide set out by tweak3d.net), but when I play games it doesn't sound like surround sound - albeit with four speakers. I have:
Gamesurround Muse 5.1 DVD sound card.
Labtech LCS-600 speakers up front
Sony APM-078III connected to Sony FH-7 Mk 3 Amp at the back.
Basically the Sonys pump out much better sound than the Labtechs, so i've tried to compensate for this. Over many frustrating weeks I still cannot acheive the surround experience that I expected. Is there some sort of process I have to follow? Should the rears be set up slightly louder than the fronts? (I don't seem to hear a lot of effects from the rear as I should) Or do I just need to keep changing the volume of each speaker until I get a good balance? Any help from you audio gurus would be much appreciated, cause this is really frustrating.
4keatimj

Could it be that I'm using a quad setup while trying to play games in full surround? I picked that idea up in the games forum, someone said they can't get 4.1 in Doom3, that they were quiet and the sound was stereo and not surround. Is this the reason why my quad setup doesn't sound surround when playing games?

Since you don't have a center channel, the audio directly infront of you or ontop of you will come out to be very quiet in your two front speakers.

Back